New Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Stadium

I would say the way to do it would be to build an east grandstand wrapped around either the south or north endzones and then it would be easy to connect the two sections on a west side renovation with closing in the other endzone.
    Last edited by JimmieTuba; 09-07-2008, 04:38 PM. Reason: Bad Spelling
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
      There will definately be a new stadium in the next 10-15 years. I was told that sometime in that time span the current stadium will be condemned.
      Why do we need to wait for Coughlin to be condemmed in order get a new stadium campaign going? I know the obvious reasons are money and priorities. The priorities being the Dykhouse Center, scholarships and other athletic facility improvements. I have to believe that one large donor that can kick off a new stadium drive is out there and a groundswell of money and support would follow.

Comment

Originally posted by gabe01 View Post
        Worrying about what to do if you want over 20,000 is a good problem to have.
        I'm pretty sure the plan is to build two 8,000 seat grandstands over a few years (east first, then west) and add some bleachers in the south end zone for overflow. Adding a grandstand on the south is probably a phase III kind of thing. We'd probably have to move the road on the south to have enough depth there, which is certainly doable.

If we had a 16,500 seat stadium, the goal would be to sell lots of season tickets so that each seat is precious rather than fill a 20,000 seat stadium once a year and have lots of empty seats the rest of the time. That's the approach in Frost Arena, and I'm sure it would be the approach in Coughlin II.

We'll probably need about $40 or $50 million to do this thing right. Know anybody who has that kind of money and wants their name on lots of edifices?
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by dvase View Post
          For what its worth, my two cents is that outdoor stadiums have a much better atmosphere than the sterile domes of USD, NDSU, etc.

However, I do realize the ticket revenue and mind-share lost because of people, like my wife, who dislike the idea of sitting on cold metal bleachers outdoors watching a football game in 30-degree weather.

Furthermore, I think a good outdoor stadium separates SDSU from the other competing football programs in the area (ie. USD, NDSU, UND, UNI), creating a tougher atmosphere (during inclement weather) and an impression that 'real men' play outdoors. Look at the UofM Gophers, who just recently went through a major fundraising campaign to move from the indoor Metrodome environment to an outdoor stadium of their own.
          I wouldn't consider the Fargodome "sterile". It was originally planned for 25-27k then was down-sized.....very stupid IMO.

The games are loud and give the Bison a definite home-field adv

Wait until Nov for the Bison/Jacks game

Comment

I think it's a good atmosphere, but I think it's the fans that give it the good feel. What bugs me (aside from the announcer) is that it always seems hazy in the Fargodome. Maybe that's the fireworks or a result of where I sit (usually up high)...or both.

Originally posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
            I wouldn't consider the Fargodome "sterile". It was originally planned for 25-27k then was down-sized.....very stupid IMO.

The games are loud and give the Bison a definite home-field adv

Wait until Nov for the Bison/Jacks game
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

OK...another though. I like Coughlin much more than the Fargodome. Now, that being said, facility-wise...it's not even close. The Fargodome and all of NDSU's football facilities are much, much, much better. I just like our little, old stadium is all. It's a matter of personal taste is all. My preference does not equate to it being better.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                Calling on collective wisdom of the board. The BOR indicated when SDSU went D1 that any expenses related to the switch had to be paid for without using any state money. If SDSU had stayed D2, CAS would have needed to be replaced in the near future. I believe this was discussed at the time, but do not recall how it went. Is state money available for replacing CAS?
                Anyone know about state funding?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

No funds coming from state for CAS or any other athletic facility.

Comment

I'm assuming the Dakota Dome was built entirely with State funding? Would be nothing short of a miracle to get the legislature to approve something the State would be paying for as they seem to have a hard enough time approving facilities that are being funded by the private sector.

Comment

Thanks. Is that different than when we were D2, because I'm pretty sure the state kicked in some money at BHSU & NSU when they built their bb facilities.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I'm assuming the Dakota Dome was built entirely with State funding? Would be nothing short of a miracle to get the legislature to approve something the State would be paying for as they seem to have a hard enough time approving facilities that are being funded by the private sector.
                        Back in the good old days when SDSU built the HPER facility, the legislature funded us for $3.5 million. When the Dome was built some years later, USD got the same amount (upped for inflation) as we did. Back in those days, HEFF (Higher Education Facility Funds) were used to build buildings on state campuses including athletic complexes (nee NSU and BHSU). That came to a screeching halt later, and the HEFF funds (which are derived from tuition and fees) are now used very sparingly for buildings (most of the funds are used for maintenance), with each campus getting a turn at receiving some funds. The funds coming that way this year are a portion of the money needed for the Avera Health Sciences Building (which may amount to almost a $50 million project). There will be no more funds coming our way for some time...especially not for athletics.

Having lobbied for SDSU for 10 years in the '70s, I made my earlier statement, with a pretty good insight into how the funding works.

Comment

I don't know the percentage, because it has been a long time ago, but I know there was a lot of private money that went into the building in Vermillion. Joe Robbie was the national fundraising chaiman, and I think Joe Foss and Al Nueharth also helped raise the profile of the campaign.

Comment

As state earlier the stadium project will likely go in phases. At this point in time it is just not necessary to build a 25,000 seat stadium. I think the 8,000 east and west grand stands with south endzone bleachers will likely be the new stadium set up within the next 15 years.

Comment

Take a look at what Montana State is planning:
                              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35085850&hl=en

Comment

Take a look at what Montana State is planning:
                                http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35085850&hl=en
                                Pretty Sweet

Comment

Working...
                                X