Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jim Ebke

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Having lived in Nebraska for about 20 years and reading the Omaha WH daily, I could never understand when reading a article about Senior Days that several of these guys got to play one year at the most at UNL and several had turned down NCC scholarships to get that one year of scholarship money and possibly an Orange Bowl ring. And yes there are a bunch that never see fall practice.

I think SDSU should continue to recruit these potential walk on's as they could later transfer to SDSU. Parker Douglas was about to walk on at UNL until he started talking to Stig. (This was from the horses mouth) Back in the late 1980's another Columbus kid Tim Kwapnaski walked on at UNL and then transferred to SDSU and was a good defensive back for nearly four years. So I dont think we should give up entirely. I think the big advantage is we now have more money to offer than UNO has and thats another reason to keep recruiting in Nebraska. UNO seems to have a close connection because staff have worked both at UNL and UNO. Coach Brubak from what I understand has a big Nebraska network so no need to give up because of losing the two good ones this year.

I guess Bill Callalhan was our best recruiting friend we ever had. Who knows, Bo may have his problems too and bringing back the walk on program may not be the answer.
    Well, I think you said it all when you said "Orange Bowl ring." We don't have to like the Nebraska walk-on program, but it's not going anywhere. It's our problem to deal with. And we should continue to recruit those potential Nebraska walk-on kids, no doubt. As for players who want to walk-on there, well ... we should be so lucky to have such a tradition. It's clear there's a lack of understanding about how important playing at Nebraska is to a lot of high school players -- especially those who grew up in Nebraska. I don't like losing players to the Huskers, either. It aggravating. But I don't really blame the kids who want have the chance -- even just the chance -- to someday play for a big-time college team or a team that has the potential to finish in the Top 25 or whatever. We're spending too much time crying over spilled milk. Onward and upward.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
      Well, I think you said it all when you said "Orange Bowl ring." We don't have to like the Nebraska walk-on program, but it's not going anywhere. It's our problem to deal with. And we should continue to recruit those potential Nebraska walk-on kids, no doubt. As for players who want to walk-on there, well ... we should be so lucky to have such a tradition. It's clear there's a lack of understanding about how important playing at Nebraska is to a lot of high school players -- especially those who grew up in Nebraska. I don't like losing players to the Huskers, either. It aggravating. But I don't really blame the kids who want have the chance -- even just the chance -- to someday play for a big-time college team or a team that has the potential to finish in the Top 25 or whatever. We're spending too much time crying over spilled milk. Onward and upward.
      I was not really stating a like or dislike of the UNL walk on program, just recognizing a reality that it is being resurrected from the dead. I do think it was peculiar for some to chose a walk on thing at UNL and pay for your education with your own resources whereas going the NCC route, the cost would have been significantly less to the individuals and their families. It was their choice, but not one I would have taken if I was talented to play football and came from a low income family that does not have a college fund sitting in a local bank. Some of these UNL guys with the Orange Bowl rings are probably still paying off their college loans. How smart is that?

Thats my point. If its about being a Rudy in a top 25 program and a ring, its kind of expensive. I do understand very clearly btw.

Spilled Milk? What exactly do you mean? And who is crying? I am not.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 04-06-2008, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I was not really stating a like or dislike of the UNL walk on program, just recognizing a reality that it is being resurrected from the dead. I do think it was peculiar for some to chose a walk on thing at UNL and pay for your education with your own resources whereas going the NCC route, the cost would have been significantly less to the individuals and their families. It was their choice, but not one I would have taken if I was talented to play football and came from a low income family that does not have a college fund sitting in a local bank. Some of these UNL guys with the Orange Bowl rings are probably still paying off their college loans. How smart is that?

Thats my point. If its about being a Rudy in a top 25 program and a ring, its kind of expensive. I do understand very clearly btw.

Spilled Milk? What exactly do you mean? And who is crying? I am not.
        No, you're not. Understood. I was kind of lumping a lot of thoughts into one post ... it was just the mention of an Orange Bowl ring that sparked me and I went on and on as I sometimes do. Sorry if you felt it was all aimed at you. You make valid points.
        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

There are good and bad things with the revival of the Nebraska walk on program. We have seen the bad this year, hopefully our coaches can build/maintain a decent working relationship with the staff at Nebraska so we can have a pipeline to some of the kids that don't make it so we can get some good out of it.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            No, you're not. Understood. I was kind of lumping a lot of thoughts into one post ... it was just the mention of an Orange Bowl ring that sparked me and I went on and on as I sometimes do. Sorry if you felt it was all aimed at you. You make valid points.
            No offense taken here and I am guilty of coming across in a brusk and of scratchy manner too. I spent 20 years in Nebraska and yes I had plenty of opporunity to sense what multi-decades of success in winning football games does to entire state, such as when I first moved there and could not get any appliance sales person to wait on you, because the Huskers were playing. Not a good idea to shop for appliances on a Saturday afternoon even if you are 85 miles from Lincoln.

Going to a country church where Big Red football discussion dominated the usual talk of crops and livestock on a fall Sunday morning.

Yes UNL has it going in the right direction and people dont seem to grow tired of it. And contrary to what seems practical to me, the kids that become young men will not be thinking costs of education if they have a chance to walk on. Jim Ebke will probably be playing against the Jacks when we travel down there in the near future. And so it goes. I also agree with egguy in trying to work with their staff. We need to hang on to Coach Brubak as he is a very good Nebraska Connection for SDSU recruiting.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 04-06-2008, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X