What is the Jacks football fan base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the Jacks football fan base

To expand the fan base the games need to be on TV, IMO. The USD-Augie game was on TV. Why can't the Jacks, the only D1 school in the state, get any games on TV?

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
      I know we have talked about this before, but since someone brought up tv.......

So many of you keep harping on having a "big time" atmosphere and facilities, but it seems some of you keep thinking "small time" when it comes to media. Online viewing and listening should supplement the actual broadcast package that the large majority of fans should be able to see or hear. MJA or some of you other out of staters should be the only ones who need the online service, except for some of the away games. A game that is televised is a 3 hour commercial for your team. The more games that are broadcast the better. Football, mens and womens basketball, and select volleyball games should be broadcast on television on a regular basis. You have no idea how many potential fans, and even potential donors, there may be out there tuning in and starting to root for the Jacks. Maybe some alums have lost touch with the school and would never think about driving to Brookings, but see them on tv and remember the fans they used to be before kids and other obligations came along.

Also, SDSU needs a radio network. WNAX provides great coverage for one station, but a network of stations is needed for better coverage and more of a "big time" feel.
      Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!

What has he won, Alex? Well, Rep points for starters!
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
        I know we have talked about this before, but since someone brought up tv.......

So many of you keep harping on having a "big time" atmosphere and facilities, but it seems some of you keep thinking "small time" when it comes to media. Online viewing and listening should supplement the actual broadcast package that the large majority of fans should be able to see or hear. MJA or some of you other out of staters should be the only ones who need the online service, except for some of the away games. A game that is televised is a 3 hour commercial for your team. The more games that are broadcast the better. Football, mens and womens basketball, and select volleyball games should be broadcast on television on a regular basis. You have no idea how many potential fans, and even potential donors, there may be out there tuning in and starting to root for the Jacks. Maybe some alums have lost touch with the school and would never think about driving to Brookings, but see them on tv and remember the fans they used to be before kids and other obligations came along.

Also, SDSU needs a radio network. WNAX provides great coverage for one station, but a network of stations is needed for better coverage and more of a "big time" feel.
        Excellent points from many of the posters. Many of my friends, members of our church, members at the golf club, etc... don't look at SDSU and see a DI institution for many of these reasons. Thats just the way it is. Until it evolves, which I believe it will, patience is the key.

That doesn't mean sitting on your hands and waiting for the big break. I trust our institution is reaching out to those individuals and groups who can help facilitate continued improvements and exposure for SDSU. Granted, I haven't agreed with each decision like many on this forum but all-in-all things are definitely improving. Exactly why this is no time to be satisfied. The key to improvement and progress is productive work not just work for the sake of working.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I now live in Spearfish, after spending 8 of the last 10 years in Brookings, and would truly love to see every game on television. It was great to watch the UC Davis game on TV today instead of hooking up the computer to the TV to see the game. I agree that this will not only help build the fan base, but believe that it will also help greatly in the recruitment efforts for SDSU. It is tough to justify spending a couple hundred dollars several times a year to drive back to Brookings and attend the games. I can see giving several hundred dollars each year and increasing that as the salary increases, as long as I am able to watch these games in a quality that is significantly better than the webcast feed.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtheta View Post
            I now live in Spearfish, after spending 8 of the last 10 years in Brookings, and would truly love to see every game on television. It was great to watch the UC Davis game on TV today instead of hooking up the computer to the TV to see the game. I agree that this will not only help build the fan base, but believe that it will also help greatly in the recruitment efforts for SDSU. It is tough to justify spending a couple hundred dollars several times a year to drive back to Brookings and attend the games. I can see giving several hundred dollars each year and increasing that as the salary increases, as long as I am able to watch these games in a quality that is significantly better than the webcast feed.
            I'm down the road just a few miles. I made it back for two games this season. I try to average one a year. There are quite a few of us from the western end of the state that can't make all of the games and we make up a part of that population that tends to see the early games and miss the ones in November. Weather and travel conditions are a bit unreliable for those late games. I, too, would like to have the option of watching more games on TV. I have been so disappointed with the quality, both picture and sound, of the current internet availability that I may not renew for the month of November since I can usually pull in WNAX in the daytime for free.

I have a lot of friends who check the Sunday paper for the scores but haven't made the trip to Brookings for a game in several years. Many haven't returned since they graduated. Seeing a game or two on TV just might inspire them to make a road trip or two next fall. I have to admit I would like a little company as I drive across South Dakota.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Is there any way SDSU could get there own channel? allow local cable providers to pick it up.... Have interesting things about SDSU durring the game have all different kinds of athletics on it? Maybe thats thinking too far ahead but I do think that something needs to be done, Keloland would work great I think some kind of a contract needs to be done with them I like 4 football games 10 mens basketball 10 womens basketball I believe that is what they were discussing but conference television deals and disagreements on what it would cost SDSU shut it down.... I think Keloland should pick up the game against NDSU, by doing that they allow people all over south dakota to watch it.... If SDSU is the school of south dakota it needs to broadcast to all of South Dakota and not just east river....

Comment

SDSU already has there own channel, but its only available from Mediacom (and I don't know if its available on Mediacom outside of the Brookings area, I doubt it). Its called the SDSU channel, and mainly plays the campus radio station KSDJ (alt. rock) with a yellow and blue backdrop. They used to run campus annoucements but this year haven't had anything like that on there. A class or two are broadcasted on there each week. It has a lot of untapped potential. If they could get cable providers throughout the state to carry it, it would be one hell of a way to promote anything about SDSU on a statewide level. Probably wishful thinking though...

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                  I'm down the road just a few miles. I made it back for two games this season. I try to average one a year. There are quite a few of us from the western end of the state that can't make all of the games and we make up a part of that population that tends to see the early games and miss the ones in November. Weather and travel conditions are a bit unreliable for those late games. I, too, would like to have the option of watching more games on TV. I have been so disappointed with the quality, both picture and sound, of the current internet availability that I may not renew for the month of November since I can usually pull in WNAX in the daytime for free.

I have a lot of friends who check the Sunday paper for the scores but haven't made the trip to Brookings for a game in several years. Many haven't returned since they graduated. Seeing a game or two on TV just might inspire them to make a road trip or two next fall. I have to admit I would like a little company as I drive across South Dakota.
                  More important than the occasional fan making his/her way across the state after seeing the game on tv, is the chance that the fan may determine he wants to send SDSU a little money after seeing a game on TV. It's a lot easier to send a check for $100 than it is to trek all the way across the state. If 100 people give $100, then we've just added a scholarship. That's where I see televised games as really paying off.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I do agree that away games should be on TV as much as possible. It was GREAT watching the game on Saturday, but as I sat with my family, who are not as die-hard SDSU fans as myself an interesting comment came up.

Mid-way through the first quarter, my Mom who has attended all the home games this year and tailgated, mostly because it is a chance to spend time with family and friends made this comment:

"If all the games where on TV like this, we could all just get together and watch them from home."
                    I looked over at her, and said, "that's exactly why Fred (Oien) cannot chance putting SDSU home games on TV yet."
                    Now I don't fault my mother for making this comment one bit, and I know it is only one example, but I feel that this attitude is very prevalent among the "casual fan" in SD.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      Now I don't fault my mother for making this comment one bit, and I know it is only one example, but I feel that this attitude is very prevalent among the "casual fan" in SD.
                      Rep points for this post. I think that's exactly how the administration sizes it up. Until we get a larger group of really rabid fans who prefer to be in the stands irrespective of whether a home game is on TV, it may be best to not broadcast the home games. The more casual fans are very important because of the support they offer and there's the chance they'll buy a ticket every so often,...casual fans grow into rabid fans.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        I do agree that away games should be on TV as much as possible. It was GREAT watching the game on Saturday, but as I sat with my family, who are not as die-hard SDSU fans as myself an interesting comment came up.

Mid-way through the first quarter, my Mom who has attended all the home games this year and tailgated, mostly because it is a chance to spend time with family and friends made this comment:

"If all the games where on TV like this, we could all just get together and watch them from home."
                        I looked over at her, and said, "that's exactly why Fred (Oien) cannot chance putting SDSU home games on TV yet."

Go Jacks!!
                        Very good point Propar. I agree and would appreciate having the away games on TV, especially since they are so far away and traveling is not an option. I think that having the away games on TV would help the local fan base and possibly increase the home game attendance due to increased interest in the Jacks. I think there a lot of casual fans (not like your Mom) that would stay home and watch all the games and we need to get them to CAS and start supporting the Jacks.

Comment

I think before SDSU starts televising home games on a regular bases they need to get there ducks in a row, figure out a way so they can at least break even with the game being televised and try to make it so they can make money so if a few thousand don't make it they aren't out too much. I think that SDSU should put on television one home game a year for the next year or 2 then when they have all the bugs worked out and figure what they need to do they can go and get a contract with Keloland, FSN Midcontinent or whoever to broadcast all or most of there home games. I don't want to see them spend money on this and have games with out audio or have delays in audio or bad announcers so I think by broadcasting one game next year and one after that they should have everything worked out for an entire season to be broadcasted. I think basketball should be different I think SDSU should be working at getting atleast 2 of the mens and 2 of the womens non conference games on television... Basketball is different then football so I don't think televising them would hurt revenue much and would generate more support in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            I think before SDSU starts televising home games on a regular bases they need to get there ducks in a row, figure out a way so they can at least break even with the game being televised and try to make it so they can make money so if a few thousand don't make it they aren't out too much. I think that SDSU should put on television one home game a year for the next year or 2 then when they have all the bugs worked out and figure what they need to do they can go and get a contract with Keloland, FSN Midcontinent or whoever to broadcast all or most of there home games. I don't want to see them spend money on this and have games with out audio or have delays in audio or bad announcers so I think by broadcasting one game next year and one after that they should have everything worked out for an entire season to be broadcasted. I think basketball should be different I think SDSU should be working at getting atleast 2 of the mens and 2 of the womens non conference games on television... Basketball is different then football so I don't think televising them would hurt revenue much and would generate more support in the near future.
                            Even if it is close financially, you still have to look at butts in the seats. The team needs the support of fans in the stands. They don't know if they are watching TV. They need to be able to hear the support. It would have to be a huge gap in income to make it worth it for home games.

Comment

SDSU basketball games were on television on a semi-regular basis in the 70's, and yet fans still showed up. I saw those games and could not wait until I had the chance to go to those games on my own! I am going to need more than an isolated anicdotal example to think that hordes of fans are going to stay away.

I have heard many times in the past that we want to compare ourselves to Montana. The U of Montana has a radio network of 17 stations, a weekly coaches show on several TV stations, and most of their football games are telecast. They also do really well in attendance. Do they have a big time media set up because they are good, or are they good because they have a big time media set up? Do you think this effects the way people think about Montana State? There is no question who the big dog in that state is.

Right now we are getting beaten in the "media wars" by folks in 2 locations down the interstate. I am tired of it, and I feel that it better be addressed soon before we fall further behind.

Comment

I live in the St Cloud area. Would you guys say that the number of fans for USD and SDSU is fairly even in South Dakota? Our does one team dominate the state?

Comment

Working...
                                X