Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cal-Poly Game Thread

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever View Post
    the ndsu game, i feel we do not need to get worried about, ndsu will bring a good crowd, but so will we. the poly game is the usual hobo day hangover, pheasant opener, this is south dakota. i know that the crowd will be great for the nov. 17th show down. preseason all this board has talked about is how great the crowd is going to be for the ndsu game, and becuz of pheasant opener and hobo day hangover, we are suddenly calling each other names and fightin. y are we fighting amongst ourselves, this is a fanbase and message board that prides itself on being positive and keepin this things civil between jackrabbit fans, and their opponents fans. we need to take a deep breath and focus on uc davis.
    I think that people feel upset that NDSU can get 25,000+ to go to a road game when SDSU can't get 7,000 for a game against a ranked opponent....

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      I hunted at my hometown 4 hours from Brookings. South Dakota is a big state. You aren't being realistic. Family>football game.
      Personally, I don't think there were 5000 pheasant hunters that did not go to the game. I am sure that is some of the reason for the reduced attendance, but there are a lot of fans that don't hunt that weren't there. This post is not targeted to the pheasant hunters. There are many activities that occur that you can't control and need to attend over a game. I can't attend the SUU games since my high school daughter is in the first state cheer/dance state tournament here in Yankton. However, there still are a lot of supporters that quit going to games after Hobo Day. I feel we owe it to the student-athletes to support them no matter what time of year it is. I just can't think of reason not to go to the game last Saturday, weather was beautiful. I traveled 130 miles one way and didn't leave home til 2:30 and still had time to take SDSU daughter to Wal-mart for supplies and then tailgate before the game.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever View Post
        the ndsu game, i feel we do not need to get worried about, ndsu will bring a good crowd, but so will we. the poly game is the usual hobo day hangover, pheasant opener, this is south dakota. i know that the crowd will be great for the nov. 17th show down. preseason all this board has talked about is how great the crowd is going to be for the ndsu game, and becuz of pheasant opener and hobo day hangover, we are suddenly calling each other names and fightin. y are we fighting amongst ourselves, this is a fanbase and message board that prides itself on being positive and keepin this things civil between jackrabbit fans, and their opponents fans. we need to take a deep breath and focus on uc davis.
        In this week's coach's show that was shot last night, Stig expressed his disappointment with the crowd and said the players were also disappointed. So I guess it's not just us here on the board who are frustrated with some of our fans.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

One thing about comparing our attendance with NDSU is that we live in a town with 18,000 people and Fargo is 100,000. I also heard that NDSU has somehting like 12,000 alum in Minnesota. I am sure just as many people in ND have other things going on in their lives as well but when you can pull from an area of that many people it is a lot easier to get people at a game. Even though we are in the same league as NDSU I am not sure it is fair to compare our attendance to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
            One thing about comparing our attendance with NDSU is that we live in a town with 18,000 people and Fargo is 100,000. I also heard that NDSU has somehting like 12,000 alum in Minnesota. I am sure just as many people in ND have other things going on in their lives as well but when you can pull from an area of that many people it is a lot easier to get people at a game. Even though we are in the same league as NDSU I am not sure it is fair to compare our attendance to them.
            NDSU is also undefeated and are the #1 ranked team in the nation, I'm guessing that might help their attendance a little bit as well...

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
              To me this only proves that our fan base needs to be more rabid. I don't know any jacks fan on this board who does not want to beat NDSU on the fields and courts. Bison fans can be more casual because they have a bigger city to draw more casual fans. To beat them we have to get as good or better recruits than they do. NDSU can sell recruits on, not only a greater tradition (in football), but bigger (late in the season 3 times bigger?) crowds at every game. I am tired of seeing some of the top players from our state sign with NDSU. When have we signed a great player from ND? I realize the thread is drifting, my apologies to the moderator(s). More fans in the stands = more revenue = better facilities and retention of good coaches = recruitment of better players = the establishment and continuation of a CHAMPIONSHIP PROGRAM! We ARE in this TOGETHER - the fans, team and administration - one weak link in the chain.
              Last edited by trueblue; 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM. Reason: clarifying a point

Comment

Koenig got mention in USA Today when looking for top performers of the week.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...the-week_N.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  Koenig got mention in USA Today when looking for top performers of the week.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...the-week_N.htm

Hello all, just cruising the site after seeing this on USA Today web site. Congrats to Koenig and SDSU on the Cal-poly win. Tyler Roehl got the POTW award today, so thats a great showing for FCS and the GWFC. I noticed you are unhappy with attendence this year, I think one of the main reasons NDSU has experienced good crowds since going D1 is the marketing that the university has done, with TV. in 2002 we were 2-8 and in the bottom of the barrel in DII something people were not used to, football interest dropped, then came the DI move, since then its gotten better and better with 4 straight sell-outs and getting 30,000 to the Metrodome was great. 4 of the 5 past games were televised and it still didn't hurt the crowd, and I believe people watched games at home and seen how electric the atmosphere was and decided to attend LIVE instead of from the couch. I guess i'm trying to say Hang in there guys with the consitency of the Gateway coming things are sure to turn around. Good luck on the rest of the season (except Nov. 17th) Hope to see you all in Brookings with 10,000 other Bison fans. Oh yeah next year its your turn with the Goophers!!
                  BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                    Hello all, just cruising the site after seeing this on USA Today web site. Congrats to Koenig and SDSU on the Cal-poly win. Tyler Roehl got the POTW award today, so thats a great showing for FCS and the GWFC. I noticed you are unhappy with attendence this year, I think one of the main reasons NDSU has experienced good crowds since going D1 is the marketing that the university has done, with TV. in 2002 we were 2-8 and in the bottom of the barrel in DII something people were not used to, football interest dropped, then came the DI move, since then its gotten better and better with 4 straight sell-outs and getting 30,000 to the Metrodome was great. 4 of the 5 past games were televised and it still didn't hurt the crowd, and I believe people watched games at home and seen how electric the atmosphere was and decided to attend LIVE instead of from the couch. I guess i'm trying to say Hang in there guys with the consitency of the Gateway coming things are sure to turn around. Good luck on the rest of the season (except Nov. 17th) Hope to see you all in Brookings with 10,000 other Bison fans. Oh yeah next year its your turn with the Goophers!!
                    That and the fact that your school is located in a metro area with 125,000 people, your team is undefeated, and you have a history as a football-focused university. Other than that, yeah, it's all about TV.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      That and the fact that your school is located in a metro area with 125,000 people, your team is undefeated, and you have a history as a football-focused university. Other than that, yeah, it's all about TV.
                      Not picking on TJBison (in fact, welcome to our board), but you are right on JimmyJack. NDSU has had a football culture for a long time (with national championships, and conference championships galore). We don't have a large urban community, with the state's largest newspaper, and the state's largest TV stations. And we haven't been winners (last conference championship in 1963 (but maybe this year??) through the years. So we start a long ways down the chart and nobody should be surprised.

Again, thus are just facts we have to overcome, and I believe we are on the move. But it won't happen overnight...so be patient folks. We have to build a fan base one fan at a time...find a non-season ticket holder in the 50-mile radius, and get them to a game! GO JACKS!!

Comment

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers guys, I should have explained more. I was just stating that attendence from around the state (not just Fargo) has improved since NDSU PRE-SEASON ad campaigns. I understand our Tradition has been good, but since 2000 SU football was not the Power it was in the 80s and 90s. Attendence did drop, but has since rebounded with success of course, but SDSU has had success in D1 also.
                        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                        X