Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance This Saturday

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
    If my family was centered just a little bit closer to Brookings I'd say clean up a spec and drive down for an evening game, but that wouldn't quite work.
    This is exactly what I've been thinking. I know there are many people who head out of town to hunt in their hometown. Many of these people would LOVE to be able to get to the game, but they're just too far away. There's not much you can do about attending the game if you're hunting in Gettysburg for the day. I understand the importance of the family tradition of hunting. I have relatives from out of state that normally make the trip out for a week to hunt pheasants. If that were the case, I would have still been at the game. This is for 2 reasons: A. I'm willing to skip out or quit hunting early for the game (to each his own, this is just my preference). B. I happen to be from the Brookings area and I could actually make it to the game after hunting. Those who are too far away have an excuse and I understand. The part that frustrates me is how many people were within 30 miles of Brookings sitting in a garage or barn cleaning pheasants and listening on the radio. It's those people that could have made it to the game. My only hope is that someday those people would have the same preference as me....to quit early and get cleaned up for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
      This is exactly what I've been thinking. I know there are many people who head out of town to hunt in their hometown. Many of these people would LOVE to be able to get to the game, but they're just too far away. There's not much you can do about attending the game if you're hunting in Gettysburg for the day. I understand the importance of the family tradition of hunting. I have relatives from out of state that normally make the trip out for a week to hunt pheasants. If that were the case, I would have still been at the game. This is for 2 reasons: A. I'm willing to skip out or quit hunting early for the game (to each his own, this is just my preference). B. I happen to be from the Brookings area and I could actually make it to the game after hunting. Those who are too far away have an excuse and I understand. The part that frustrates me is how many people were within 30 miles of Brookings sitting in a garage or barn cleaning pheasants and listening on the radio. It's those people that could have made it to the game. My only hope is that someday those people would have the same preference as me....to quit early and get cleaned up for the game.
      Why not come up with something like a Pheasant Classic or Bird Bowl? Get Cabella's to sponsor it. Involve the Wildlife & Fisheries Dept. Push game time time back an hour or more to allow more people to get back to town (though, a late start could hurt attendance). Do a pheasant feed in the backyard. Show your hunting license or bring a dead bird and get a discounted game ticket. Get a big inflatable pheasant to walk around. Free beer.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
        Why not come up with something like a Pheasant Classic or Bird Bowl? Get Cabella's to sponsor it. Involve the Wildlife & Fisheries Dept. Push game time time back an hour or more to allow more people to get back to town (though, a late start could hurt attendance). Do a pheasant feed in the backyard. Show your hunting license or bring a dead bird and get a discounted game ticket. Get a big inflatable pheasant to walk around. Free beer.
        We Have A Winner.

The Cabela's Pheasant Opener Bowl.

Get the contracts ready, Fred . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          We Have A Winner.

The Cabela's Pheasant Opener Bowl.

Get the contracts ready, Fred . . .
          That would be be sweet. Where can I sign up?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm guessing it probably would be something to do with the ethanol industry. Think about it: Beef, grain, ethanol. Those are SDSU's big areas of expertise in agriculture.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              That would be be sweet. Where can I sign up?

Some sort of South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks benefit.

Raffle off, some shell vests, decoys, tree stands, shotguns, hunting accessories, etc. I think people might show up for that. Oh yeah, they could also tailgate and catch a great football game too.

Call me crazy, but I actually like that idea!

Comment

Another idea would be to have the game on Friday night. Take a page out of the Big East or WAC book. All of the high school games were on Thursday night, so no conflicts there and pheasant season not opening until noon would give fans plenty of time to get to their hunting location. I like the Pheasant Bowl. We could have that either opening weekend or have it the first home game after opening weekend if we are on the road during opening weekend. The Cereal Bowl takes care of the Ethanol industry. The Corn people are there. The Cereal Bowl could use more building also. It isn't as big as the Beef Bowl.
                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatewayrabbit View Post
                  Another idea would be to have the game on Friday night. Take a page out of the Big East or WAC book. All of the high school games were on Thursday night, so no conflicts there and pheasant season not opening until noon would give fans plenty of time to get to their hunting location. I like the Pheasant Bowl. We could have that either opening weekend or have it the first home game after opening weekend if we are on the road during opening weekend. The Cereal Bowl takes care of the Ethanol industry. The Corn people are there. The Cereal Bowl could use more building also. It isn't as big as the Beef Bowl.
                  Now this idea I like and I think has some promise? What do others think? Maybe there would be a lot of resistance to playing on Friday night from the opposing team???

Comment

Here's an idea. An add-on to the pheasant bowl. Have a pheasant hunt for SDSU donors and cap it off with a FB game (The Pheasant Bowl). The University could arrange landowners to allow pheasant hunting on their land and donors could make a contributions to the athletic department to participate. Funds could be raised for the athletic department, and an increase in attendance could also be see at the football game. Although the pheasant hunting near Brookings isn't as good as other parts of the state, many people would possible contribute just to give to SDSU. Cap it off by raffling a gun off at the football game and this could be a success.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatewayrabbit View Post
                      I would have went to the game if it was on Friday night, BTownJack made a good point about other teams maybe not being able to play on that day though.

Comment

Friday would work great I think.... they could put it in the contract with the team it might cost them a little up front but in the long run it would help them greatly...

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          Friday would work great I think.... they could put it in the contract with the team it might cost them a little up front but in the long run it would help them greatly...
                          Friday won't happen. It'll be another Saturday theme game focusing on the ethanol industry.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Here's an idea. An add-on to the pheasant bowl. Have a pheasant hunt for SDSU donors and cap it off with a FB game (The Pheasant Bowl). The University could arrange landowners to allow pheasant hunting on their land and donors could make a contributions to the athletic department to participate. Funds could be raised for the athletic department, and an increase in attendance could also be see at the football game. Although the pheasant hunting near Brookings isn't as good as other parts of the state, many people would possible contribute just to give to SDSU. Cap it off by raffling a gun off at the football game and this could be a success.
                            I like this idea, but a minor drawback I see is that we don't always have a game on the opener. I guess you could still do it on the game closest to the opener. This would leave another date for Ethanol Day which would be five home games with themes: Beef, Cereal, Ethanol, Pheasant & Hobo Day.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Friday won't happen. It'll be another Saturday theme game focusing on the ethanol industry.
                              Back when I was in college there was a lot of focus on the ethanol industry during football games . . .
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                                I like this idea, but a minor drawback I see is that we don't always have a game on the opener. I guess you could still do it on the game closest to the opener. This would leave another date for Ethanol Day which would be five home games with themes: Beef, Cereal, Ethanol, Pheasant & Hobo Day.
                                Don't get me wrong... I really like the Pheasant idea.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X