Hobo Day Traditions and Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day Traditions and Memories

My favorite memory was the St. Cloud State game in 1997. I was up in the offensive box with Jeff Menage (the O.C. at the time) and we were down 16-14 with time for one play left. Noel Bouche heaved one up as far as he could, and Brock Beran came down with it inbetween double coverage for the win. I can't tell you how euphoric it was at that one moment in time, going from hopeless to victorious in the span of a few seconds. Good times.

Comment

Three of my memories:

1. As a kid in the 1960s (pre-Interstate), we'd travel through Brookings on the way to Sioux Falls from Watertown. As we'd pass the campus, my dad would tell us about Hobo Day and I particularly remember him saying that all men were barred from shaving until Hobo Day had passed. I asked what would happen if a student just decided to shave and he said they didn't do that: everyone grew a beard. I remember thinking to myself: They can't make ME do that! That's just not right! I'll show 'em! (Did I say I'm a lawyer?)

2. I started at SDSU the fall of 1972. I hadn't touched a razor since July and had such a miserable growth (couldn't be seen unless one was within 16 inches of me) that I entered the "best try" contest, certain I would win. But NO! Some guys with actual growth -- yeah, it was pretty bad, scruffy stuff but it was hair -- beat me for the title! I hadn't shaved for something like 10 weeks.

3. Horatio's and 3.2 beer -- that's the 'old' Horts which became a bank parking lot in about 1975 or 1976. The best college beer bar in the midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Walrus View Post
        One Honkin Big Orange Elephant

This is the 1972 Pharmacy Float. It is the only one that I ever worked on. I believe it burned the night after the parade. Foul play was suspected, presumably by a jealous rival. In those days, pharmacy always won the most beautiful or most outstanding award.

I was a hobo in the parade 3 or 4 times. No pictures are available.
        I remember seeing that float, Walrus. Back then, the Pharmacy float always stood out because most of the other parade entries were moving junkyards.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Three of my memories:

1. As a kid in the 1960s (pre-Interstate), we'd travel through Brookings on the way to Sioux Falls from Watertown. As we'd pass the campus, my dad would tell us about Hobo Day and I particularly remember him saying that all men were barred from shaving until Hobo Day had passed. I asked what would happen if a student just decided to shave and he said they didn't do that: everyone grew a beard. I remember thinking to myself: They can't make ME do that! That's just not right! I'll show 'em! (Did I say I'm a lawyer?)

2. I started at SDSU the fall of 1972. I hadn't touched a razor since July and had such a miserable growth (couldn't be seen unless one was within 16 inches of me) that I entered the "best try" contest, certain I would win. But NO! Some guys with actual growth -- yeah, it was pretty bad, scruffy stuff but it was hair -- beat me for the title! I hadn't shaved for something like 10 weeks.
          Your beard story reminded me of another one. I quit shaving in the mid-summer before my freshman year at SDSU. I think I started trying to grow the beard in July. I remember the beard and pigtails contest at Sylvan Theater. It was the fall of 1977. D.J. Cline (I believe that she was a Journalism instructor - and I think I saw her obituary in the last year or two) was the judge who measured everyone's hair growth. She was wearing a very long string of beads and she would hold them up to the beard or pigtails and count the number of beads to measure the length. I DID WIN the best try award!
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
            Your beard story reminded me of another one. I quit shaving in the mid-summer before my freshman year at SDSU. I think I started trying to grow the beard in July. I remember the beard and pigtails contest at Sylvan Theater. It was the fall of 1977. D.J. Cline (I believe that she was a Journalism instructor - and I think I saw her obituary in the last year or two) was the judge who measured everyone's hair growth. She was wearing a very long string of beads and she would hold them up to the beard or pigtails and count the number of beads to measure the length. I DID WIN the best try award!
            Well, I won it also...but in 1954...wasn't shaving before then and haven't shaved a whole lot less in the 53 years since then (have a razor thin mustache and a little tuft on the chin these days), but had just microscopic peach fuzz at that time. Wasn't my fault...guess I was born with the problem!!! Favorite memory...the Hobo Day crowd in 1985 (or whatever year we set the attendance record...too lazy to look it up) when we heaved a pass into the end zone on the final play of the game to beat the Coyotes.

In the 1950's floats were big time...and yes, Pharmacy always won the Most Beautiful...the Hobo mobile homes came along later...got shot down because of safety reasons...and have since emerged again in a more safe and saner environment. I celebrate Hobo Day every year in the normal way, and by always spending a few hours at the Corner, which any self respecting SDSU alum has to do!!! See you there!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Three of my memories:

3. Horatio's and 3.2 beer -- that's the 'old' Horts which became a bank parking lot in about 1975 or 1976. The best college beer bar in the midwest.
              Also started in 1972. When you mentioned Horts, I was reminded of last weekend while tailgating. I was trying to explain to some younger alums about the "Old Horts". They can't even remember it after it moved. The "Old Horts" I agree was the best beer bar around, ever. Buckhorn longnecks for a quarter and the local band "Birnham Wood". Lest we forget Nutsy, may he rest in peace.

Comment

I remember my grandma taking me to the Hobo Day Parade back when I was a pre-schooler. I have no idea if it was one time or an annual trip. Grandma was a good recruiter, because as a little kid I wanted to go to State so that I could be a hobo in the parade.

My beard story is a little different. I never shaved during final test week and one spring after tests were over I decided to just let it go for Hobo Day the next fall. By October I wasn't quite ready for ZZTop, but I was on the way. I don't think I entered any of the beard contests, I probably wasn't around when they were held. Since I was living at home at the time, my parents were pretty glad when Hobo Day was over and their hippie son could clean up. I shaved it off and had a cold chin all winter.

I'm just about ready to head down to Volga. I'll be at the parade and the game tomorrow. No beard this year, just the Walrus mustache.
                An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

My freshman year is a blur, but I remember a riot after a loss to Augie. Not totally sure if it was Hobo Day or not. The parade was always fun. My future wife and her friends would mix a cooler of "Jungle Juice" and leave it in the trunk of her car parked just off of Medary. We would spend the next few hours getting refills, hanging out at the party houses across the street, and watching the braver souls go lay in the street so the high school bands would march around them. After the game it was off to the Chevy or Saf and then a slice or two of George's to finish the night off.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

My earliest memories of Hobo Day begin at age 5. My family got up at 6am every year to make the two-hour trek to watch our high school band march in the parade. Afterward, we'd have lunch at the restaurant at the Staurolite Inn before heading to the game or heading home with the game on WNAX. In the last 21 years, I've missed Hobo Day twice--both times when I was attending grad school out of state--and I've never been so depressed. Hobo Day is about camaraderie, whether you are there for the parade, the game, the Pride, or the beer. But without one thing, there would be no Hobo Day, and that is the school of which I'm proud to be an alum. I don't plan on ever missing another Hobo Day. GO JACKS!

Comment

[QUOTE=6JayCutler;63682]My favorite memory was the St. Cloud State game in 1997. I was up in the offensive box with Jeff Menage (the O.C. at the time) and we were down 16-14 with time for one play left. Noel Bouche heaved one up as far as he could, and Brock Beran came down with it inbetween double coverage for the win. I can't tell you how euphoric it was at that one moment in time, going from hopeless to victorious in the span of a few seconds. Good times.[/QUOTE

In that game I had my first collegiate sack.

I even got my picture in the paper on that play. Big day freshman D-lineman.

Comment

6 Hobo Days (as a student the first time around).

1st was 85 I was a sr in high school, stayed with a friend of mine and stood behind the last row of students and watched the game.
                        2nd - got so lit up during the week and Friday night. I thought my head was going to blow up on the sidelines during the game Saturday. Didn't even go out Saturday night.
                        6th - Riot - Saw it on the news from my parents hotel. Drove by on my way back to my house for our party. My hs senior brother attended that evening
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Here is my long, drawn out, Hobo Day story...(skip it if you must)

1. I remember Mom and Dad taking me to it before I was school age, maybe 3 or 4. But I specifically remember the hobos, and the unstable vehicles that have been described here previously.

2. Went several times growing up, not every year...but most.

3. Marched in it in the marching band 6 years (2 junior high, 4 high school). I always loved it when the hobos would coming "marching" by our band...they'd go up and down the rows....dance to the drum cadence, they were having a blast. Thought to myself, "I'm doing that when I'm in college."

4. In college, I was a Hobo in the parade 3 years in a row. It was a blast. Too many good times, and things to recall here, but always had a great time on Hobo Day. Was around for the riot, but did not participate in it...did drive right by the big bonfire, through (we were about a block away)

5. After college, I missed a few years as I had taken my first teaching job, and we were several hours away.

6. 1999 I started running again, and geared up to run the Hobo Day 5K. I did, and then the whole family went to the parade together, and then we went to the game, this tradition would grow.

7. 2001, my brothers also ran the 5K with me, and again we did the family thing...the tradition grows...

8. 2003, I asked my daughter "the coachette" if she wanted to run the 5K...and she did. Also coach jr. ran it as well... mrs. coach joined in. Along with my brothers, a couple cousins, one of my sisters in law....We had about 10 people from the family in the 5K.
                          Then we all watched the parade together, and the adults went to the game (Grandma stayed home and watched the Grandkids)

9. So, here we are, 2007. Mrs. Coach can't make it this year, she's on call. But Me, coachette, coach jr, my brothers and I think a cousin or two will be there again....

It's really become a FAMILY TRADITION in our family. Everyone knows...HOBO Day we all get together. It's really quite special in our family.

Hope this hasn't bored you to tears.

Comment

If anyone has photos of this years HOBO DAYS can you post them please?
                            I think Kai was supposed to walk in the parade with Michael Loney ? If anyone saw him would you let me know, we tried to get down this weekend but it was not to be

Comment

I didn't see Kai or Michael in the parade Mrs. W. not that I am trying to rat him out. I did see Michael at the game.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Kai and Michael are on some kind of student panel, don't really know but he told me that Coach Nagy had volunteered him to be in the parade, with Michael, believe me if there was a way out of not walking in the parade Kai would find it......not really his thing

Comment

Working...
                                X