• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Youngstown State

Crazy first few weeks,

Cal Poly 0-2
    Mich 0-2
    UNC gets shut out by Chadron St.
    Tex St. being shut out 28-0 by Abilene Chr.

Jacks need a win this week to get that monkey off the back and roll on. Very positive things coming from the passing game.

Comment

I think the coaches realized our running game wasn't going to work tonight and made the correct adjustments. The shorter passes were working and that's what got us back in the game.

Comment

On a side note, SF Austin has been moving the ball well against NDSU. I'm not sure if that's a discredit to NDSU or complementary to SF Austin. SF Austin's QB is very athletic. SF Austin is up by 2 at the half.

Comment

Couple of scores of interest:

UNI 24 - Iowa State 6
          Illinois 7 - Western Illinois 0

both in the 3rd Qtr.

Go State!

Comment

UND up 37-0 against Southern Utah in 4th. It will be up to both NDSU and SDSU to beat SUU back to Division II. No mercy, have to boot 'em by at least 50 to save face. With a little luck they can have a rivalry with Dixie State.

Chadron was running subs for quite a bit of their blowout of UNC. Neither UNC or SUU belong in FCS, methinks.

Comment

Or maybe UND is just that good???

Comment

From SiouxSports (forum)...

"Bison barely beat SFA. And they thought they were good. This is a real team! The Great West will be a walk when we join!"

Since there will be no games against UND and USD EVER, there needs to be some humiliation dished out on common opponents--for this year.

I suspect the door will be shut on future ex-GWC opponents as soon as possible after this year. Goodbye, Cal Poly, Davis and SUU. Nice knowing you.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                  From SiouxSports (forum)...

"Bison barely beat SFA. And they thought they were good. This is a real team! The Great West will be a walk when we join!"

Since there will be no games against UND and USD EVER, there needs to be some humiliation dished out on common opponents--for this year.

I suspect the door will be shut on future ex-GWC opponents as soon as possible after this year. Goodbye, Cal Poly, Davis and SUU. Nice knowing you.
                  I'm not sure I understand your post, but we do play Cal-Poly in '08 and '09.

Go State!

Comment

Barry ... MUCH better. But he cannot throw game-ending interceptions. Can't do it. Can't. Period. And I have some concern as to if we have any downfield threat at all.

Here's a bigger question worth pondering, though: Why do we come out so flat game after game after game? Why do we have to attempt such comebacks time in and time out. It seems we're not ready to play. I'm sorry, but what other conclusion is there? I don't have one, but I'll listen if you do. To me, I guess, it points to coaching. We show we can play with very good teams, but not until we're 10, 14, 17, 20 points down. Then we come storming back. If we were just ready to go from the start, it would seem things would be much smoother for players and fans alike. Any thoughts?

Also, another really bad personal foul hurt us at the end of the game. We can't go a game without an ill-timed 15-yarder. They are regular problems for us. Personal fouls, as a rule, are problems for us. That must also change. It's a simple matter of dicipline. I can't decide if that's coaching or if it's one of those on-field things coaches can't control. Given the history, though, it needs to be addressed.

To date, the punting game is unacceptable. 'Nuf said on that.

OK, I think I'm done venting. This week's showing was much better than last week's. I'm not sure what to think about the Northern Iowa game based on how they're playing tonight, but I have some hope. It'll be good get back to CAS. Hopefully, out problems are taken care of for the home opener.

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                    We showed a lot of heart to come back like that... It could have been very easy for us to role over and die after dropping down 14-0 in the 1st. We need to work on coming out and making a positive impact right away, rather than spotting the other team points.

That 99 yard drive was awesome, I thought we were gonna get the W after that one.

Berry showed a vast improvement, as far as i'm concerned he's our guy and people need to lay off him rather than calling for his head. If anything needs to improve its the running game. Only 48 yards rushing... not good. Cory had a decent outing, and if minett can come around and get the ground game going too we'll be alright.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

As long as common opponents are played, comparisons will be made. I'm not arguing that existing contracts shouldn't be honored, but I've (rather painfully) come to the conclusion that my memories of playing USD should be just that... memories. That means pulling the plug on GWC opponents as soon as possible.

If NDSU only beats SUU by 3 touchdowns, you can believe that UND fans will take comfort in that! The best way to permanently kill these two rivalries is to get away from common opponents as quickly as possible.

BTW-- SUU got 10 points in the last minute or so, so it was only 37-10.

Comment

Gang: Comparing scores against common opponents is, most of the time, a silly waste of time.

As long as common opponents are played, comparisons will be made. I'm not arguing that existing contracts shouldn't be honored, but I've (rather painfully) come to the conclusion that my memories of playing USD should be just that... memories. That means pulling the plug on GWC opponents as soon as possible.

If NDSU only beats SUU by 3 touchdowns, you can believe that UND fans will take comfort in that! The best way to permanently kill these two rivalries is to get away from common opponents as quickly as possible.

Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I'm not sure the rushing game had a huge problem. Sure we netted only 48 yards, but Cory averaged over 5 yards a carry for the game, he just didn't get a lot of touches (12). On top of that, the sack yardage really took away from the overall rushing yardage.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                            Gang: Comparing scores against common opponents is, most of the time, a silly waste of time.
                            Hard to say that on this board since we do it all the time ourselves. Central Arkansas being in the forefront of that.

Comment

I realize this is drifting off topic, but SUU has played D1AA with less than 63 scholarships for a number of years. Plus add to that a turnover in coaches. UND on the other hand is very solid in terms of the 36 scholarships in that they have great recruiting and a great coaching staff. Stig and the UND coach are very good friends so I would expect to see UND on our schedule before USD. The UND fans can be worse or more obnxious than those south of us so they generally huff and buff no matter what their teams do. Its not going to be as easy as they think. After they go D1 FSC, they may find it much tougher competition than what they have faced in the final years of the NCC.

At any rate I am proud of the Jacks effort against Youngstown. I think we got some promising showing out of of young running backs. The one names are escaping me caught a few passes, and from what I could visualize from WNAX broadcast, its was the same pass play that Ranek executed so well when they stack the box to stop his run. The new guys may not be as tough as Ranek, but they sound very promising to me. Can't wait to them live and in color next week.

I think there are some more new guys who have had a touch of the field yet and I think, its more about acclaimation to the SDSU system that has kept them on the bench, but I think its going to be a tough season, with no easy wins. Everything seems to not come easy.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 09-09-2007, 08:05 AM.

Comment

OK, OK, guilty as charged. I do it to, although it's fruitless.

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                Hard to say that on this board since we do it all the time ourselves. Central Arkansas being in the forefront of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X