Proposed NCAA Shake Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed NCAA Shake Up

For awhile now, there has been talk of a major NCAA shake up coming. With the introduction of NIL, it seems there's greater separation between the have's and have not's of college football. Even on the FCS level, I frequently see the call from fans (both inside and outside a program) for NDSU, SDSU, or anyone consistently good to go FBS.

Here's my pitch: Create a tiered system will levels, say Class A, AA, AA, etc. like states have for high schools. Call these classes whatever you want and give them a playoff and championship each year. In the inspiration of Ted Lasso, at the end of the season, promote the top 2-5 teams in each class to the next level and relegate the worst 2-5 teams to a lower class.

I can see many reasons why this is an overly simplified, stupid idea, and wouldn't work. But this seems like it would be a step towards creating parity across the football landscape. Maybe 10-15 teams start the season with a realistic shot of an FBS championship, and the similar is true in the FCS. I really feel for G5 teams. I mean, what are they even playing for? The Mopar Tidepod Kleenex Bowl in the middleofnowhere, USA? Have fun.

Thoughts?

When the NCAA proposal to create a new division allowing direct compensation to athletes is enacted. Or, some other development that results in a similar "semi-pro" college league is put in place, FBS football will no longer exist. If even 1/3 of the current FBS moves into that level the remaining schools, especially in the west, will have trouble maintaining relevance and financial support because the national media exposure will have moved on. What is left will look more like current FCS.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
      For awhile now, there has been talk of a major NCAA shake up coming. With the introduction of NIL, it seems there's greater separation between the have's and have not's of college football. Even on the FCS level, I frequently see the call from fans (both inside and outside a program) for NDSU, SDSU, or anyone consistently good to go FBS.

Here's my pitch: Create a tiered system will levels, say Class A, AA, AA, etc. like states have for high schools. Call these classes whatever you want and give them a playoff and championship each year. In the inspiration of Ted Lasso, at the end of the season, promote the top 2-5 teams in each class to the next level and relegate the worst 2-5 teams to a lower class.

I can see many reasons why this is an overly simplified, stupid idea, and wouldn't work. But this seems like it would be a step towards creating parity across the football landscape. Maybe 10-15 teams start the season with a realistic shot of an FBS championship, and the similar is true in the FCS. I really feel for G5 teams. I mean, what are they even playing for? The Mopar Tidepod Kleenex Bowl in the middleofnowhere, USA? Have fun.

Thoughts?
      The only way the moving teams up and down between divisions would be if every division offers the same number of scholarships. For example, a team from the second level with 63 scholarships moving up to compete with teams offering 85 wouldn't be feasible.

Comment

With money involved and TV deals, I see the relegation being difficult. How does a (historically below average) school like Northwestern plan on budgeting $40 million revenue (I have no clue the amount) from the Big Ten Network this year, then getting relegated and only getting $2 million in TV revenue the next year.

However, I do think they should redo everything. Basically the existing power 5 schools, the ones with the fan support and financial resources, make their own league. Play a playoff, bowl games, whatever they want. Combine the greater 5 and top FCS teams (which almost turns it back to what the FCS used to be decades ago) and have them play in a division that has playoffs. Combine the lower FCS and upper D2 into another one.

From an SDSU perspective, look at Liberty and even Florida State, they go undefeated and they have NO chance of playing for a National Championship. What is the point of being FBS if an undefeated season doesn't even give you a shot at a title? I have no interest in playing in MAC games on Tuesday nights in front of no fans to have the chance to go to a worthless bowl game. I also don't have a huge desire to keep dominating the FCS without the likes of JMU, SHSU, Delaware, Georgia Southern, App St., the list could go on. As much as it pains me to say it, winning an FCS title isn't as difficult as it used to be and therefore doesn't mean as much (although still huge honor). I could foresee a league of the "original FCS blueboods" plus the Dakota and Montana schools, and a few others, that have a playoff system in place, being a very quality league to watch and play in.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          The only way the moving teams up and down between divisions would be if every division offers the same number of scholarships. For example, a team from the second level with 63 scholarships moving up to compete with teams offering 85 wouldn't be feasible.
          Fair point. However, I feel like the number of scholarships becomes a moot point with the introduction NIL money. Scholarship is what? $30-50k for the year? Okay, give a PWO the same amount in NIL money.

Another issue: Conference schedules. SDSU and NDSU are moved up to 3A, but most of the MVFC is 2A, and WIU and ISU-B are 1A. SDSU runs the table... how do you rank them for post season play on a weak schedule?

Comment

Any relegation system would, of course, kill the conferences. Scheduling would have to be across the field at a similar level as opposed to within conferences. And, with the proposal to start an NCAA division that pays players directly relegation is a moot point. A new division means a full realignment in NCAA D1 athletics across all sports. I myself do not see that succeeding.

I think a more viable scenario is a venture capital group initiates a college level league with enough money to pull the top level schools in either football or basketball into the league along with the major sports media. If that is successful in either sport the other will follow quickly. The schools left out will have to realign with smaller resources, less media money. Essentially a regionalization, with the remaining sports at the top level schools falling into that regionalization.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
              With money involved and TV deals, I see the relegation being difficult. How does a (historically below average) school like Northwestern plan on budgeting $40 million revenue (I have no clue the amount) from the Big Ten Network this year, then getting relegated and only getting $2 million in TV revenue the next year.

However, I do think they should redo everything. Basically the existing power 5 schools, the ones with the fan support and financial resources, make their own league. Play a playoff, bowl games, whatever they want. Combine the greater 5 and top FCS teams (which almost turns it back to what the FCS used to be decades ago) and have them play in a division that has playoffs. Combine the lower FCS and upper D2 into another one.

From an SDSU perspective, look at Liberty and even Florida State, they go undefeated and they have NO chance of playing for a National Championship. What is the point of being FBS if an undefeated season doesn't even give you a shot at a title? I have no interest in playing in MAC games on Tuesday nights in front of no fans to have the chance to go to a worthless bowl game. I also don't have a huge desire to keep dominating the FCS without the likes of JMU, SHSU, Delaware, Georgia Southern, App St., the list could go on. As much as it pains me to say it, winning an FCS title isn't as difficult as it used to be and therefore doesn't mean as much (although still huge honor). I could foresee a league of the "original FCS blueboods" plus the Dakota and Montana schools, and a few others, that have a playoff system in place, being a very quality league to watch and play in.
              I find it ironic that folks cite the dilution of FCS as diminishing the "value" of championships won while also mentioning NIL and the transfer portal. While the Jacks may not be facing teams like JMU or Sam Houston, they are weathering challenges like NIL and the portal that NDSU didn't have to during their dynasty

Comment

Working...
              X