A Time of Reflection and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Time of Reflection and Appreciation

We sincerely appreciate all the new fans of SDSU football. It's made a difference.

That said, it's time to do a little reflection. After WWII, then SDSC had success under Ralph Ginn, who filled that role for 22 years. His teams won 9 NCC titles - the last being in 1963. His 1950 team went undefeated but did have one tie. After Ginn was released in the mid-60s, SDSU went into a deep sleep - never winning a conference title until 2007 and that was the GWFC which was a temporary deal. Everything changed with SDSU football when then athletic director, Dr. Fred Oien hired Mike Daly in December 1990. Under Daly, significant increases in resources to the football program took place and he had the foresight to hire John Stiegelmeier as defensive coordinator. When Daly left in 1996, Oien had the vision and courage to hire Stig as the new head coach. He was criticized by some for that decision as many thought we needed to look outside the program and seek different leadership. To be honest, for the next 15 years, SDSU had a respectable but slightly above average overall record. All that changed beginning in 2012. "Stig Culture" took hold and the new athletic director, Justin Sell, brought enthusiasm and great fundraising skills to the entire program. Along the way Dana Dykhouse, always a great supporter, and others stepped forward in enormous ways. Great success has followed.

For those of us that have closely followed the football program for fifty years we are awestruck by what we are seeing. It was unimaginable for us to believe at one time but we now play football in December. As for me, I'm grateful for all the players, coaches, administrators and donors who kept the faith and brought us this joy. What a gift.

With loyal hearts so true.

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    We sincerely appreciate all the new fans of SDSU football. It's made a difference.

That said, it's time to do a little reflection. After WWII, then SDSC had success under Ralph Ginn, who filled that role for 22 years. His teams won 9 NCC titles - the last being in 1963. His 1950 team went undefeated but did have one tie. After Ginn was released in the mid-60s, SDSU went into a deep sleep - never winning a conference title until 2007 and that was the GWFC which was a temporary deal. Everything changed with SDSU football when then athletic director, Dr. Fred Oien hired Mike Daly in December 1990. Under Daly, significant increases in resources to the football program took place and he had the foresight to hire John Stiegelmeier as defensive coordinator. When Daly left in 1996, Oien had the vision and courage to hire Stig as the new head coach. He was criticized by some for that decision as many thought we needed to look outside the program and seek different leadership. To be honest, for the next 15 years, SDSU had a respectable but slightly above average overall record. All that changed beginning in 2012. "Stig Culture" took hold and the new athletic director, Justin Sell, brought enthusiasm and great fundraising skills to the entire program. Along the way Dana Dykhouse, always a great supporter, and others stepped forward in enormous ways. Great success has followed.

For those of us that have closely followed the football program for fifty years we are awestruck by what we are seeing. It was unimaginable for us to believe at one time but we now play football in December. As for me, I'm grateful for all the players, coaches, administrators and donors who kept the faith and brought us this joy. What a gift.

With loyal hearts so true.
    Great post!

Definitely much to appreciate, and I'm grateful for opportunity to continue being along for the ride

Comment

Working...
    X