Rogers is Eddie Robinson 2023 Coach of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogers is Eddie Robinson 2023 Coach of the Year

Last year Coach Stig was the 2022 FCS Eddie Robinson Award Winner. Announced today: Coach Jimmy Rogers is the 2023 FCS Eddie Robinson Award Winner -- selected by a panel and sponsored by FedEx in honor of Robinson, the legendary great coach at Grambling.

Link to KELO TV's story: https://www.keloland.com/sports/jimm...ch-of-the-year.

Coach Rogers will receive the award at a banquet the night before the FCS title game in Frisco.

This award deserves its own thread so [I'm going to move some posts on this topic from the MVFC Awards thread.

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Last year Coach Stig was the 2022 FCS Eddie Robinson Award Winner. Announced today: Coach Jimmy Rogers is the 2023 FCS Eddie Robinson Award Winner -- selected by a panel and sponsored by FedEx in honor of Robinson, the legendary great coach at Grambling.

Link to KELO TV's story: https://www.keloland.com/sports/jimm...ch-of-the-year.

Coach Rogers will receive the award at a banquet the night before the FCS title game in Frisco.

This award deserves its own thread so [I'm going to move some posts on this topic from the MVFC Awards thread.
    Interesting note -- a Valley/Gateway coach has won the award a half dozen times in past 20 years
    • Jerry Kill with Salukis in 2004
    • Farley at UNI in 2007
    • Bohl at NDSU in 2012 & 2013
    • Stig in 2022
    • Rogers this year
    I think Jacks are the first to have consecutive winners who were different coaches.

Side note: Rogers might not be the only Jackrabbit honored at that banquet.

Comment

In the topic MVFC Awards thread, GoJacks2011 and jakejc795 posted about Coach Rogers being named the 2023 FCS Eddie Robinson Award Winner. I thought that subject deserved a separate thread so I started this one. Then I attempted to move posts by GoJacks2011 and jakejc795 from the MVFC Awards thread to this one. Well, I messed that up. Apologies to GoJacks2011 and jakejc795. I think I used a merge function improperly. Anyway, I'm pasting below what remained after my ham-handed attempt to simply move a couple of posts.

​​​​​​Today, 11:41 AM
      Originally posted by GoJacks2011
      Rogers named FSC Coach of the Year. The USD fans (and Jay Elsen) can complain about their coach they wanted to fire last year not getting it but Jimmy was under enormous pressure on day one of the job to do well this year and has met the challenge. The more I hear Rogers speak in press conferences, the more impressed I am. He’s an incredible talent and loved SDSU. I hope we have him forever. Well deserved!

https://theanalyst.com/2023/12/south...ard-recipient/
      Great news.

I'd say the "love" he has for SDSU isn't past tense, and if USD wants to complain, they should realize that Cattuso from Albany and Hauck from Montana were above Nielson in the voting results.

I noticed Tre Lamb, Gardner-Webb's HC, was #16, so I was surprised that Cronic, Mercer's HC, wasn't in the top 20.
      Rogers named FSC Coach of the Year. The USD fans (and Jay Elsen) can complain about their coach they wanted to fire last year not getting it but Jimmy was under enormous pressure on day one of the job to do well this year and has met the challenge. The more I hear Rogers speak in press conferences, the more impressed I am. He’s an incredible talent and has great love for SDSU. I hope we have him forever. Well deserved!

https://theanalyst.com/2023/12/south...ard-recipient/

Comment

There is one downside to this recognition of Coach Rogers: The Robinson award puts a bright light on our brilliant coach...how much longer can we hold on to him? I agree with the sentiment in the above post: Well deserved, Coach (and I hope we have him forever)!!

Comment

I think Bob certainly belonged in the conversation, but the knock is that he's been at USD a long time. His teams have been middling to bad. Is he suddenly a better coach? Maybe if he took over someone else's 3-8 dumpster fire but he started the dumpster fire.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
            I think Bob certainly belonged in the conversation, but the knock is that he's been at USD a long time. His teams have been middling to bad. Is he suddenly a better coach? Maybe if he took over someone else's 3-8 dumpster fire but he started the dumpster fire.
            Exactly. If you put out the fire you started did you really “turn it around?”

Comment

During weekly press conference a couple days ago, Coach Rogers was asked about "playoff Zay" and how Davis steps it up in the playoffs. Response: Yeah, he eats a different breakfast everyday once playoff starts....

Jimmy's joke delivery was so bad... that gave me a bigger laugh than his response. Cue Leslie Neilson deadpans.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                During weekly press conference a couple days ago, Coach Rogers was asked about "playoff Zay" and how Davis steps it up in the playoffs. Response: Yeah, he eats a different breakfast everyday once playoff starts....

Jimmy's joke delivery was so bad... that gave me a bigger laugh than his response. Cue Leslie Neilson deadpans.
                Or his delivery was so good that Borg thought Rogers was serious

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                    Exactly. If you put out the fire you started did you really “turn it around?”
                    Does this mean "We Didn't Start the Fire" will be his "walk up music" when he ascends to AD?

Comment

How often does the all-FCS Eddie Robinson coach of the year recipient not win their conference COTY? Shows the difference in voters' mindset I guess. Valley voters respected the turnaround that USD made, while FCS-wide voters chose to respect the new coach of the defending champs for not missing a beat.

Comment

Working...
                      X