2023 (Edit: NOT 2032) Quarter Finals - Villanova

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 (Edit: NOT 2032) Quarter Finals - Villanova

After watching the extend YSU-Nova highlights, Nova is no pushover. Arguably, the game wasn't as close as the final score.

The 'Guins d-line was getting pushed around all day. In particular, Nova ran a play where the entire O-line down blocked, leaving the DE unblocked in space against the RB. I recall SDSU have success with soemthing similar with Zenner against NDSU. I swear Nova ran this same play 10+ times for 5-15 yd chunks driven by a huge o-line push.

Defensively, Nova was swarming. YSU couldn't get anything going on the ground. Nova turnovers kept YSU in the game early. Nova's secondary looked vulnerable, but that was probably skewed by the game situation. Nova went to soft coverage in the 2nd half (while up multiple scores), and YSU took advantage.

Bottom line: Nova was superior to YSU in trenches. If we don't show up, they'll push us around too.

Watched the nova ysu replay. Nova definitely passes the eye test. Offense reminds me of good UNI teams of the past. Huge and athletic o-line, very physical rb’s, and a couple really good deep threats at wr. Their defense is a little tough to gauge with the 3-3-5 that they run. It’s much more of a “gimmick” defense with all the blitzes and exotic looks they use vs how we normally just stick with base 4-3. They do have some really good players though. Seems the best way to beat a defense like that is simply run directly at them, they will stop a few plays but there will be chunk yards to be had. Also, the weather will have to be in our favor. Not sure how the Philly boys will handle low 30’s with a 25mph wind at kickoff

Comment

Interview with their coach:

https://static.caasports.com/customp...rante_Wk15.mp3

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
        I like their coach. Forth right with no nonsense. Gives credit where credit is due.
        Stop the run. Be balanced on Offense.
        SDSU has a lot of weapons on offense. They are physical and technically sound.

Comment

Weather forecast seems to have taken a bit of a turn for the worse. Chance of a little snow, and more important, stronger and gusty winds from the NW. The wind probably hurts Villanova more as they have a lot of big chunk pass plays. The Jacks power running game and strong defense should play well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Weather forecast seems to have taken a bit of a turn for the worse. Chance of a little snow, and more important, stronger and gusty winds from the NW. The wind probably hurts Villanova more as they have a lot of big chunk pass plays. The Jacks power running game and strong defense should play well.
            Noticed that too.

I'm just hoping the score isn't as close as it was during 2016 "Snow Game"

Comment

Any word on whether their WR Sanchez is slated to play after apparent injury late last week?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Noticed that too.

I'm just hoping the score isn't as close as it was during 2016 "Snow Game"
                That game was too close for comfort. It did generate huge smiles at the end. I expect a good game by the wildcats, with less stress on my heart. I'm thinking a 17 or 18 point win by the Jacks.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post

That game was too close for comfort. It did generate huge smiles at the end. I expect a good game by the wildcats, with less stress on my heart. I'm thinking a 17 or 18 point win by the Jacks.
                  I'm with you.

A two TD lead with time to rest starters after halftime would be my preference.

Comment

And here is another pundit stating the obvious.
                    https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/12/by...KcHj8cokWSpodc
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Do we really need to be talking about a game that's 9-years out?? This thread is for the 2032 quarterfinals against Villanova!! I wasn't aware the NCAA leaked the scripts that far out.

Not trying to dog on ya, SlapJack... clearly this is a far simpler mistake than this dummy made in the pick'em contest already several times. Just noticed the innocent number swap and chuckled a bit.

I'm excited for the reduction in weather forecast! Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I find surviving the elements in a game like this half the fun! Nova looks to be pretty stout, I'm certainly not expecting any shutout this go-round.

Comment

Bad weather has to favor us.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
                          Do we really need to be talking about a game that's 9-years out?? This thread is for the 2032 quarterfinals against Villanova!! I wasn't aware the NCAA leaked the scripts that far out.
                          I was wondering when someone would comment. Just remember, 4 out of every 3 people are dyslexic.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post

I was wondering when someone would comment. Just remember, 4 out of every 3 people are dyslexic.
                            I wish we knew FCS' status in 2032

Comment

Just invested in a cow bell.

Excited to make some noise all game tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X