Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 MVFC Awards

MVFC 2023 awards have been announced.

Your 2023 co-offensive players of the year are........................ Mark Gronowski and Isaiah Davis!!

Defensive POY: USD's LB Brock Mogensen
    Newcomer of the year: ISUr's RB Mason Blakemore
    Freshman of the year: ISUr's LB Tiny Camp... err.... Tye Niekamp
    Coach of the year: USD's Bob Nielson

1st team honors (9 of 31):
    Mark Gronowski
    Isaiah Davis
    Jadon Janke
    Garret Greenfield
    Mason McCormick
    Cade Terveer
    Jason Freeman
    Tucker Large (DB)
    Amar Johnson

2nd team honors (9 of 31):
    Mike Morgan
    Zach Heins
    Gus Miller
    Ryan Van Marel
    Isaiah Stalbird
    Dyshawn Gales
    Hunter Dustman
    Kaydon Olivia
    Tucker Large (RS)

Honorable mention:
    Jaxon Janke
    Evan Beernsten
    Dalys Beanum
    Last edited by RahRahRabbits; 11-27-2023, 04:34 PM.

Should have scrolled down further before posting. This is the first time since 2009 that one of the big 3 honors were shared - when Danny Batten (SDSU) and James Ruffin (UNI) shared the defensive POY award.

Jason Freeman was runner-up for defensive POY, Jimmy Rogers runner-up for coach of the year, and Griffin GFW Wilde was runner-up for freshman of the year. Pretty strong showing all around by the good guys.

Total number of selections each:
    Team 1st team 2nd team Honorable Mention
    Illinois State 3 3 3
    Indiana State 2 3
    Missouri State 2 2 3
    Murray State 3
    North Dakota 1 4 3
    North Dakota State 7 2 4
    Northern Iowa 5 3
    South Dakota 3 4 7
    South Dakota State 9 8 3
    Southern Illinois 1 1 4
    Western Illinois 3
    Youngstown State 5 5

Comment

Brian Williams and John O'Brian should have been included at some level.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Brian Williams and John O'Brian should have been included at some level.
        Agreed, the democratization of voting will somewhat water down the all-conf team by spreading the wealth. Some deserving players on teams with deep talent will get left on this list.

However, at what point are copy/pasting SDSU's roster as the all-conf team? One could make the argument that the Jacks are good enough to do that. However, I would have greatly disliked this approach when NDSU was dominant, so I accept guys will get overlooked on the current SDSU roster.

Focus on the team awards. Those are the ones that matter.

Comment

Interesting tidbit from Jimmy's radio show. Of the 21 Jacks that were mentioned on the All-Valley teams, only 3 had multiple scholarship offers coming out of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Interesting tidbit from Jimmy's radio show. Of the 21 Jacks that were mentioned on the All-Valley teams, only 3 had multiple scholarship offers coming out of high school.
            Definitely a testament to the Jacks' scouting and recruiting ability as well as the appeal of the "culture" contributing to players remaining in the program.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011
              Rogers named FSC Coach of the Year. The USD fans (and Jay Elsen) can complain about their coach they wanted to fire last year not getting it but Jimmy was under enormous pressure on day one of the job to do well this year and has met the challenge. The more I hear Rogers speak in press conferences, the more impressed I am. He’s an incredible talent and loved SDSU. I hope we have him forever. Well deserved!

https://theanalyst.com/2023/12/south...ard-recipient/
              Great news.

I'd say the "love" he has for SDSU isn't past tense, and if USD wants to complain, they should realize that Cattuso from Albany and Hauck from Montana were above Nielson in the voting results.

I noticed Tre Lamb, Gardner-Webb's HC, was #16, so I was surprised that Cronic, Mercer's HC, wasn't in the top 20.
              Rogers named FSC Coach of the Year. The USD fans (and Jay Elsen) can complain about their coach they wanted to fire last year not getting it but Jimmy was under enormous pressure on day one of the job to do well this year and has met the challenge. The more I hear Rogers speak in press conferences, the more impressed I am. He’s an incredible talent and has great love for SDSU. I hope we have him forever. Well deserved!

https://theanalyst.com/2023/12/south...ard-recipient/
              Last edited by JackJD; 12-07-2023, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Well I messed that up.

I created a new thread for the announcement that Coach Rogers was named the 2023 Eddie Robinson Award Winner -- best coach in FCS selected by a panel, sponsored by FedEx. The award will be presented the night before the FCS title game in Frisco. I wanted to move the above post by GoJacks2011 and another post from jakejc795 to the new thread. Looks like I accidently erased jakejc's post. I'm going to highlight and cut and paste the GoJacks2011 post into the new thread. This thread can remain the thread for MVFC end-of-season awards. Thanks for your patience! I guess I shouldn't play with scissors and sharp objects. JackJD

Comment

Working...
                X