Next: Youngstown State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next: Youngstown State

Jacks on the road to Youngstown State (6-3; 4-2), at YSU’s Stambaugh Field (the “Ice Palace”) with an 11:00 am (Central) kickoff.

A Jacks win locks down at least a share of the MVFC title.

I'm concerned about a potential emotional let down here. From the beginning of the season, I saw SIU and YSU as the potential trap games. Playing on the road against a decent team... Need to bring the A game and not let them stick around. Indications point to a UND/ISU-r type of game with a 42-21 final, but we need to show up. Rolling out the helmets and expecting the 'Guins to laydown isn't going to cut it.

I like Rogers' focus and not naming a defensive player of the week. The standard is set from the top.

Comment

YSU is a very good team, their two FCS losses are by a combined 6 points, their other loss was to Ohio State (who they actually played somewhat competitively). Blew out SIU earlier in the season as well. The guys better come ready to play because YSU has their season on the line right now. No guarantee they get in at 7-4, they need 8 wins to be solidly in.

Here’s hoping Jimmy won’t allow a letdown.

Comment

This is very much a potential trap game. Although the final scores haven't always so indicated, the schedule has not had a "gimme" since the Drake game at Target Field. At least on paper, the Jacks have run a gauntlet.

Is anyone familiar with MVFC scheduling? How is it that SDSU missed Murray St., ISUb and Western?

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post

Is anyone familiar with MVFC scheduling? How is it that SDSU missed Murray St., ISUb and Western?
          I asked Sell this last year on the podcast. He answered that maintaining and continuing the rivalries with NDSU, USD, UND and UNI is the priority. I suppose after that there are only 4 other conference games and it’s just the way the cookie crumbled this year.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

I asked Sell this last year on the podcast. He answered that maintaining and continuing the rivalries with NDSU, USD, UND and UNI is the priority. I suppose after that there are only 4 other conference games and it’s just the way the cookie crumbled this year.
            Rivalry with UNI? While it's certainly a more interesting game than the afformentioned bottom feeders, it doesn't seem like it should be a protected game.

Comment

I would argue that if we end up with one or more losses on our record, this year or in future years, our resume will get us a better seed with wins against ranked teams than wins against the bottom dwellers in the conference.
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

The WR's and TE's are going to have a good day.

Comment

The weather should be great for football. The high of 50 with light winds should be comfortable. The humidity may be in the 60's.. The 11am CDT is the big change of schedule.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post

Rivalry with UNI? While it's certainly a more interesting game than the afformentioned bottom feeders, it doesn't seem like it should be a protected game.
                    Arguments could be made that it's worth protecting given the number of athletes we recruit from the region, strength of schedule, and reduced travel

However, it'd be interesting to see whether the UNI stance changes if Sell's successor lacks ties to UNI

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                      The weather should be great for football. The high of 50 with light winds should be comfortable. The humidity may be in the 60's.. The 11am CDT is the big change of schedule.
                      Tyler and Coach Rogers discussed the start time yesterday, and it sounds like players prefer earlier start times, particularly for away games, so they're not spending time waiting in hotels. Still, it'll be interesting to see hw it plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        The WR's and TE's are going to have a good day.
                        Hope Jacks force turnover on Penguins' first possession and the offense puts its foot down from there.

I'm a fan of Jonathan Fernandez's predicted score (42-7). Notsure 'guins only get seven, but I'm definitely not opposed to it.

Comment

Pretty thorough pre-game writeup on the Penguins from the YSU athletic department.

Comment

Working...
                          X