October 7 Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October 7 Illinois State

The broadcast for this game will be Midco 2 and ESPN+ at 6pm. I was surprised that Midco would have a crew travel.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Should be quite the physical game. ISUr had the best defense we faced last year and was able to control our run game better than anyone else we faced. That opened them to the pass so this might actually be a game where we pass a bit to set up the run. Also they had trouble with the +1 run game so it probably is in our best interest to unlock that a bit more than we like to see. Might be a good game to have a few run packages for Chase Mason.

Comment

Jacks have the advantage of having Mike Banks on staff after he spent a number of years at ISU. Should have in-depth knowledge of their secondary, especially the corners. Also we should know what works against 3 man fronts after just facing UND.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Jacks have the advantage of having Mike Banks on staff after he spent a number of years at ISU. Should have in-depth knowledge of their secondary, especially the corners. Also we should know what works against 3 man fronts after just facing UND.
        Banks was the assistant coach interviewed during this week's Rogers Show. Seemed like a knowledgeable coach, and I hope you're right about the potential benefit of the insider's perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
          Should be quite the physical game. ISUr had the best defense we faced last year and was able to control our run game better than anyone else we faced. That opened them to the pass so this might actually be a game where we pass a bit to set up the run. Also they had trouble with the +1 run game so it probably is in our best interest to unlock that a bit more than we like to see. Might be a good game to have a few run packages for Chase Mason.
          I'll be interested in seeing if there's a trick play for Christensen.

I'm also curious about how they'll look without Vandenburgh

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I'll be interested in seeing if there's a trick play for Christensen.

I'm also curious about how they'll look without Vandenburgh
            I've heard Jimmy mention a pass to Christensen at least 2 or 3 times. Have to believe that he's putting it out there to mess with defensive coordinator's minds. Wouldn't think he would be promoting it that much if they are actually going to do it.

Comment

I've heard Jimmy mention a pass to Christensen at least 2 or 3 times. Have to believe that he's putting it out there to mess with defensive coordinator's minds. Wouldn't think he would be promoting it that much if they are actually going to do it.
              Yes, he mentioned pop up pass in this week's show too.

Comment

Yeah, but I think ISUr actually has the horses to play the 3-4. UND was clearly overmatched. I expect this to be a little more balanced in play calling. I think it's nice they are back to back though and they can build off of the gameplan. The new play clock rule shows you really have to value the ball and get off the field in 3 and out. That being said, I don't think you should ever defer to the second half if your game plan is run the ball. Discuss.
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I agree that I’ll st has better players on D but the concept is still the same as und. They are smaller (than normal 4-3 teams) and use blitzes and confusion to gain an advantage. I really think we will see a lot of the quinten Christensen at TE package and just run straight at them, much like the und game

Comment

The 6pm projected weather for kickoff is 54 degrees with a NW 9mph breeze. It is close to perfect football weather. The temperature could dip to 48 and the wind fade to 6mph by the finish of the game. This is great to be expected for a night game.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

ISUr is pushing a blackout (Tweet 1, Tweet 2). Their team will be rocking black pants/jerseys, with white helmets. I kinda like their black unis + red helmet look better to be honest though. Running a $22 ticket special trying to drum up interest. A reaaaaal rough estimate looks like they have around 1,000 reserved seats left, with half of the other sideline as general admission with plenty of availability. Capacity is 13,391... so at this point I'm expecting around 10-11,000 unless they have a major push within the next 24 hours. They had 6740 in week 1 vs Dayton and an advertised full sellout of 13,391 against Lindenwood... though a quick scan through various points of that game footage make that look like a pretty darn generous claim.

Redbirds are coming off their bye, the latest of anyone in the Valley this year. Speaking of that.... someone made the comment during one of the JI podcasts, and it absolutely blew me away. In 7 of our 8 MVFC games this year, our opponent is either coming off a bye (UND, ISUr), playing Indiana State (UNI, USD, YSU), or playing Murray State (NDSU, SIU). Only team that has a respectable game prior to us is in our last game of the year - Missouri State hosting UNI... and by that time of the year, the Panthers may be fully tamed cats, out of the playoffs and busy hacking up fur balls already.

First true road game of the year for the Jacks, and if they keep taking care of business, it's one of only four more non-friendly crowds to go for the rest of the year. As Old Hare pointed out, should be a gorgeous night for football! Go Jacks!

Comment

No one said this would be an easy game, season. Jacks have a relatively tough schedule going forward. Execution and line play will be key to success. The team looked sharp against UND. If that continues it will be a good season.

Regarding uniforms, I am old school. I understand the players and students like the blacks. Me, I prefer whites. It's a cleaner look IMHO. For state the all blues look sharp also, or with what's been called the banana pants. I wonder what the black jersey and yellow pants would look like? Might be a bit much. Especially with white hats.
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          No one said this would be an easy game, season. Jacks have a relatively tough schedule going forward. Execution and line play will be key to success. The team looked sharp against UND. If that continues it will be a good season.

Regarding uniforms, I am old school. I understand the players and students like the blacks. Me, I prefer whites. It's a cleaner look IMHO. For state the all blues look sharp also, or with what's been called the banana pants. I wonder what the black jersey and yellow pants would look like? Might be a bit much. Especially with white hats.
                          It might look a bit like a beehive, especially if the print on the tops is yellow. If the print is not yellow, it might just look poorly coordinated.
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Sounds like Redbirds will get RB Blakemore, an NIU transfer, and CB Cannon, Jr. back for this game.

Speaking of running backs, former Bison RB Sam Ojuri coaches them for the 'birds. Hopefully the only running they do today is hopping back to the nest after having their wings clipped by Jacks' D.

Comment

Working...
                            X