2023 Polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post

I understand that sportswriters need to find things to write about, but this is a dumb idea. If Stan Becton truly thinks they would wipe away a team's body of work over a season and replace it with one weekend of games, he is an idiot.
    I think he's taking the Bonnie Raitt approach (or Will Ferrell if you prefer the Step Brothers angelic rendition) and giving folks something to talk about, not advocating that the teams be re-seeded, thereby impacting host sites.

With that in mind, and focusing solely on his rankings, what aspect(s) of Becton's rankings do you agree and disagree with?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      With that in mind, and focusing solely on his rankings, what aspect(s) of Becton's rankings do you agree and disagree with?
      I felt the seeding was awarded reasonably and mostly fairly. Arguments could be made about this team or that team, but I sounded like nitpicking to me. Weight was given to a team's full season, not the emotional rush of the season finale.

1. SDSU
      2. Montana
      3. UAlbany <-- Why weren't they the 3 seed to begin with? They lost to UNH (6-5) and beat ranked teams Villanova and W&M. Not much of a resume. But they beat down <checks notes>.... Richmond! You'd think they'd beaten an SEC school. Why move these guys up and not Furman or Villanova?
      4. USD <-- These guys suck. If you're going to reseed. They need to be 8th or possibly relegated to unseeded.
      5. NDSU <-- Pull off a dramatic OT win. Live in the moment and forget that the MSU kicker had to miss 2 FG's and 1 XP to do it. Also ignore why they were unseeded to begin with (last place among dakota schools).
      6. Idaho <-- OT win at home where they looked vulnerable. On the basis of one game, justifiable to bump them down some.
      7. Furman <-- Easily beat Chat town. Why no love?
      8. Villanova. <-- They dominated YSU. Why no love?

More than anything, the re-ranking seemed very arbitrary in a "how I feel about teams" opinion rather than how they actually performed.

Comment

I felt the seeding was awarded reasonably and mostly fairly. Arguments could be made about this team or that team, but I sounded like nitpicking to me. Weight was given to a team's full season, not the emotional rush of the season finale.

1. SDSU
        2. Montana
        3. UAlbany <-- Why weren't they the 3 seed to begin with? They lost to UNH (6-5) and beat ranked teams Villanova and W&M. Not much of a resume. But they beat down <checks notes>.... Richmond! You'd think they'd beaten an SEC school. Why move these guys up and not Furman or Villanova?
        4. USD <-- These guys suck. If you're going to reseed. They need to be 8th or possibly relegated to unseeded.
        5. NDSU <-- Pull off a dramatic OT win. Live in the moment and forget that the MSU kicker had to miss 2 FG's and 1 XP to do it. Also ignore why they were unseeded to begin with (last place among dakota schools).
        6. Idaho <-- OT win at home where they looked vulnerable. On the basis of one game, justifiable to bump them down some.

More than anything, the re-ranking seemed very arbitrary in a "how I feel about teams" opinion rather than how they actually performed.
        Stan Becton seems to oftentimes put out these clickbait, "discussion-worthy" "articles"... that's fine for a blogger, but it does continue to surprise me that he's an NCAA endorsed journalist. But after seeing the new football structure the NCAA president is pushing... nothing from the NCAA should really surprise anyone at this point.

Comment

1. SDSU
          2. Montana

I was suprised Albany leapfrogged the 'Yotes, but I can definitely see having Albany above 'nova.

I know it's a small sample size, but rewatching the 'guins-'nova game has me thinking the Wildcats being above Furman is reasonable. It gets tricket regarding how they'd rank versus Vandals. I think Eck probably gets them a win in at least 1 of 3 on a neutral site, but I could also see the WIldcats winning in a hypothetical matchup in Moscow.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post

Stan Becton seems to oftentimes put out these clickbait, "discussion-worthy" "articles"... that's fine for a blogger, but it does continue to surprise me that he's an NCAA endorsed journalist. But after seeing the new football structure the NCAA president is pushing... nothing from the NCAA should really surprise anyone at this point.
            I generally go to Sam Herder first, but I appreciate the coverage folks like Haley and Becton offer. Nevertheless, if Midco/Summit League would hire Tanner Castora and have him produce content like Becton does for the NCAA, I'd have one less grievance to air on Festivus.

Comment

Notable teams rated by Sagarin as of 12/23/23:

SDSU 18, prior rating was 28
              NDSU 52, prior was 53
              Montana 66, prior was 85
              Montana State 67, prior was 71

Read it yourself!!: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Notable teams rated by Sagarin as of 12/23/23:

SDSU 18, prior rating was 28
                NDSU 52, prior was 53
                Montana 66, prior was 85
                Montana State 67, prior was 71

Read it yourself!!: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
                Eighteen?

EIGHTEEN?!?
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Eighteen?

EIGHTEEN?!?
                  Filice Cooper?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post

Eighteen?

EIGHTEEN?!?
                      I'm just listening to Zimmer's podcast "Nobody's Listening Anyway". He and Gaskins are talking about how good this Jacks team is. This team is special. If anyone is on the fence about going to Frisco. Do it. We are likely to never see a team this good again.

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post

This would be a great song for Jacks fans down in Frisco, most people not Jackrabbits won't get it, but it's a good party song and most Jackrabbits will get the 18 reference,

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I'm just listening to Zimmer's podcast "Nobody's Listening Anyway". He and Gaskins are talking about how good this Jacks team is. This team is special. If anyone is on the fence about going to Frisco. Do it. We are likely to never see a team this good again.
                          i do understand what you are saying. yet, maybe don't let Coach Rogers catch ya saying that. i very much believe that his belief and intent is that this team is now the standard for what Jackrabbit football is about. i also believe Jimmy and this staff have every intent of making the most of every moment with this years team, while at the same time are already excited for the challenge of next year and believe in the depth of talent that has not yet gotten their chance to hit the field for the yellow and blue

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i do understand what you are saying. yet, maybe don't let Coach Rogers catch ya saying that. i very much believe that his belief and intent is that this team is now the standard for what Jackrabbit football is about.
                            That's awesome, but don't let coach speak cause you to take this particular situation for granted. 18 outgoing seniors, plenty of which have been here 6 years. Up to 5 or 6 guys with NFL prospects. Multiple guys that could have made 6-figures elsewhere sticking around for one more run. 28 straight wins. Several playoff shutouts. 59 points in the semi-final, and a blowout in the 2023 title game!

You're delusional if you think these types of things are going to be "the standard" in the non-covid, portal/NIL era. THIS, right now, is a two year period people will still be talking about a decade from now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Southeast View Post

That's awesome, but don't let coach speak cause you to take this particular situation for granted. 18 outgoing seniors, plenty of which have been here 6 years. Up to 5 or 6 guys with NFL prospects. Multiple guys that could have made 6-figures elsewhere sticking around for one more run. 28 straight wins. Several playoff shutouts. 59 points in the semi-final, and a blowout in the 2023 title game!

You're delusional if you think these types of things are going to be "the standard" in the non-covid, portal/NIL era. THIS, right now, is a two year period people will still be talking about a decade from now.
                              Bingo! Covid created an incredibly unique situation here.

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I was on the fence. But it'll be hard to replicate this type of team ever again. Bought my tickets this AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X