Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which 2022 opponent caused the most anxiety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 2022 opponent caused the most anxiety?

After returning from Frisco, I've thought about the football season just completed, focusing on which 2022 regular-season and post-season opponents caused the most anxiety...wondering if other Jacks fans agree.

I was in the stadium for every home game including the playoff games and I either watched or listened to all of the away games. Looking back, I think the three games that caused the most concern were NDSU; Holy Cross and Montana State...but not in that order.

1. NDSU because they're NDSU and NDSU doesn't quit. That program is hard-wired to win. This year the Jacks were a better team in all aspects of the game but that doesn't mean squat to the Bison. We had to prove it twice. I think those guys went home from Frisco unconvinced and you have to admire that. Expect an epic battle for the Marker in Brookings this fall; and start betting now that the FCS title game will once again pit SDSU against NDSU.

But neither of the NDSU games caused the most worry.

2. Montana State. Now, Montana State was a scarey outfit. They were playing their best at the end of the season and coming to SDSU in snow meant nothing to them. But as I watched that game, the confidence exhibited by the Jacks on the field was contagious. MSU losing one of two outstanding running quarterbacks early in the game had to really hurt. But I suspect MSU did not take into account the Jacks win over HC and the preparation HC's crazy-running QB Sluka provided to the Jackrabbit defense as the MSU game approached. Against MSU, the Jacks played like a team of destiny -- that game was a low hurdle in the path to a win in Frisco and we played like the outcome had already been entered into the schedule posted on gojacks.com. There were early signs in the MSU game on how it was going to end. But before the opening kickoff, I was very concerned.

3. Holy Cross. I think Holy Cross caused the most anxiety this season. Crusader QB Sluka was unique among running quarterbacks...totally unpredictable. Until we finally took that game over, I was not comfortable watching the HC game. We scored two field goals in the first quarter, ending that period down a point, 7-6. With a little more than a minute on the clock the Jacks scored on a Freeman interception of a Sluka pass and the half ended SDSU 21, HC 14.

I think most observers will agree that SDSU halftime adjustments throughout the season were stellar. We ripped teams in the third quarter. But not Holy Cross.We couldn't score in the third quarter but HC could: the third quarter ended tied at 21. The Jacks finally took over in the fourth quarter, outscoring HC 21-0 to end the game 42-21. Seems to me the FCS is assured of seeing HC in the playoffs this fall.

I sweated the HC game. More than any other game this season, I thought that one had the greatest potential of ruining what turned out to be a dream season for SDSU.

From following the FCS fairly close most of the year, I thought Montana State was the top team in the country and did not think we had a great chance of beating them. Let alone, dominating them. The last 2 games SDSU has played are the most impressive all around games in program history.

Comment

Yep, after watching Holy Cross's QB gash us and also having watched Montana State gash a team the night before...I was worried. I think the Holy Cross gashing was a blessing in disguise. The defense woke up and was outstanding in the semis and the championship. Iowa was a different kind of nervous. I knew we had a shot to win, but were absolutely the underdogs. Once I was reminded how bad their QB was, I got nervous that we might actually beat Iowa. Looking back, we should have won that one.

I really wish we had an FBS game next year.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Before the game.... absolutely it was Montana State. I think last year's results and watching the HC game had me on edge. I agree with ringthebells, the HC game was the best warmup for Montana State they we could get.
        During the game, first quarter and half of the NDSU we looked like dog $hi+. A team like NDSU is usually hard to make a big come back on because of their style of play.

Comment

Always, always worry about UNI. If Farley didn't continually screw with his player's heads they would be a monster.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

1. UNI that air raid attack oofta they are scary, if they can play defense watch out. 2. Any other air raid teams. That's where we are most vulnerable. We are built to stop running teams.
            Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              After returning from Frisco, I've thought about the football season just completed, focusing on which 2022 regular-season and post-season opponents caused the most anxiety...wondering if other Jacks fans agree.

I was in the stadium for every home game including the playoff games and I either watched or listened to all of the away games. Looking back, I think the three games that caused the most concern were NDSU; Holy Cross and Montana State...but not in that order.

1. NDSU because they're NDSU and NDSU doesn't quit. That program is hard-wired to win. This year the Jacks were a better team in all aspects of the game but that doesn't mean squat to the Bison. We had to prove it twice. I think those guys went home from Frisco unconvinced and you have to admire that. Expect an epic battle for the Marker in Brookings this fall; and start betting now that the FCS title game will once again pit SDSU against NDSU.

But neither of the NDSU games caused the most worry.

2. Montana State. Now, Montana State was a scarey outfit. They were playing their best at the end of the season and coming to SDSU in snow meant nothing to them. But as I watched that game, the confidence exhibited by the Jacks on the field was contagious. MSU losing one of two outstanding running quarterbacks early in the game had to really hurt. But I suspect MSU did not take into account the Jacks win over HC and the preparation HC's crazy-running QB Sluka provided to the Jackrabbit defense as the MSU game approached. Against MSU, the Jacks played like a team of destiny -- that game was a low hurdle in the path to a win in Frisco and we played like the outcome had already been entered into the schedule posted on gojacks.com. There were early signs in the MSU game on how it was going to end. But before the opening kickoff, I was very concerned.

3. Holy Cross. I think Holy Cross caused the most anxiety this season. Crusader QB Sluka was unique among running quarterbacks...totally unpredictable. Until we finally took that game over, I was not comfortable watching the HC game. We scored two field goals in the first quarter, ending that period down a point, 7-6. With a little more than a minute on the clock the Jacks scored on a Freeman interception of a Sluka pass and the half ended SDSU 21, HC 14.

I think most observers will agree that SDSU halftime adjustments throughout the season were stellar. We ripped teams in the third quarter. But not Holy Cross.We couldn't score in the third quarter but HC could: the third quarter ended tied at 21. The Jacks finally took over in the fourth quarter, outscoring HC 21-0 to end the game 42-21. Seems to me the FCS is assured of seeing HC in the playoffs this fall.

I sweated the HC game. More than any other game this season, I thought that one had the greatest potential of ruining what turned out to be a dream season for SDSU.
              Iowa scared me the most, not because I thought the Jacks couldn't compete. Rather, it seems like those FBS games result in at least one or two injuries that impact the rest of the season.

The Bobcat game "scared" me because of the combination of how aggravated I was with fans lauding their offense (and some of our own fans lamenting the Jacks' chances) and the fear that weather wouldn't allow me to attend to "blow off steam." I never thought the Jacks would allow a Sluka-esque performance by Mellott or Chambers. Side note -- when I watched the replay of the Bobcat game one of the commentators mentioned that Chambers may not return next season. Has anyone seen any developments in that area?

I was somewhat nervous about the UND game, mostly as the game progressed, due to the repeat trip to ND and then Bock's injury during the game.

Comment

Hands down, the game with UC Davis. It was a home game and Davis was considered to be a middle of the pack Big Sky team. That game couldn't get over soon enough and it raised questions about our defense which played so well the previous week against Iowa.

Comment

Working...
                X