Tanner Castora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

The only issue with that is if Tanner signed a non-compete clause when he was hired by KELO. Basically, he would have to wait a certain amount of time before he could work at another TV station in the Sioux Falls market (usually 6 months - 1 year). Of course, if the Federal Government bans non-compete clauses, this could be a non-issue.

However, if he went to work for Midco or Forum, he COULD conceivably work "behind the scenes" as a producer, an account executive, or as a writer. Then when his NC was up, he would be able to be on-air.
    I have no knowledge about Castora's situation so I am just making general comments below to expand or perhaps help define points made by jackrabbit1.

The general rule of law in South Dakota (and most other -- perhaps all -- states) is a no-compete agreement is void (the law doesn't like efforts to squelch competition) unless it falls within one of a few exceptions permitted by statute. The employment setting is one of those exceptions. Here's the statute permitting a no-compete agreement between an employer and an employee, SDCL 57-9-11:

"Except as otherwise provided in § 53-9-11.1, an employee may agree with an employer at the time of employment or at any time during employment not to engage directly or indirectly in the same business or profession as that of the employer for any period not exceeding two years from the date of termination of the agreement and not to solicit existing customers of the employer within a specified county, first- or second-class municipality, or other specified area for any period not exceeding two years from the date of termination of the agreement, if the employer continues to carry on a like business therein."

South Dakota law permits the limitation period in the employment setting to be as long as two years following termination from employment and requires a defined geographic area to which the no compete applies. Can a TV station contractually prohibit any competition, direct or indirect, in all media outlets (radio, TV, newspaper) or just in other TV stations? TV reporters including Castora, are reporting in written form too -- blogs; twitter--in addition to reporting on the TV. Jackrabbit1 noted the no-compete could be for six months to a year in length, a true statement -- but, the law states the maximum length of the restriction is two years-- the parties may agree to a shorter period.

Enough of the legal stuff....I have read some of Castora's written reports on sports topics. While I think he is getting to be a pretty good TV reporter, I have been impressed by his writing ability and I think some of his written work has been excellent..
    Last edited by JackJD; 01-21-2023, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I saw him walk into Frost arena Saturday afternoon before the mens game. He walked by me.

Comment

I saw on Twitter that Tanner is done at KELO. Sean Bower left last fall. Whats going on at KELO.?
        Last edited by mitchellrabbit; 02-07-2023, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I thought I saw him on the sidelines when the Jacks were warming up before yesterday's game. Anyone know if he's just working independently, or if he's been at least informally "hired" by the Jakcs (as he was at Jimmy Rogers' introductory press conference too)?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            I thought I saw him on the sidelines when the Jacks were warming up before yesterday's game. Anyone know if he's just working independently, or if he's been at least informally "hired" by the Jakcs (as he was at Jimmy Rogers' introductory press conference too)?
            I think Tanner is on his own, but he continues to provide good Jackrabbit coverage. This story, for example, is worth reading:
            Know Your Program: SDSU Football 2023 Season Preview Magazine
            | by Tanner Castora | Aug, 2023 | Medium
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

I think Tanner is on his own, but he continues to provide good Jackrabbit coverage. This story, for example, is worth reading:
              Good article, informative and well written. Thanks for sharing.
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

Thank you for sharing that. I enjoy his work. Too bad Midco hasn't hired him.

Comment

Tanner did a podcast with a sports guy out of Ohio back in August, and he mentioned that he’s working on writing a book on the building of the SDSU football program, along with the life of Coach Stig. It’s a great podcast episode, but his current plans are detailed around the 36 min mark.

https://x.com/tanner_castora/status/...gN0AiXHXho1SFQ

Comment

Originally posted by SodakMinnie605 View Post
                    Tanner did a podcast with a sports guy out of Ohio back in August, and he mentioned that he’s working on writing a book on the building of the SDSU football program, along with the life of Coach Stig. It’s a great podcast episode, but his current plans are detailed around the 36 min mark.

https://x.com/tanner_castora/status/...gN0AiXHXho1SFQ
                    That would make sense. He seems to have a lot of access considering he doesn't seem to have any current media connections.

Comment

Pretty good story on Tucker Large that Tanner did for the Brookings Register
                      https://www.brookingsregister.com/ar...ing-as-a-star?
                      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

More great content from Castora re. last week's game.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          Pretty good story on Tucker Large that Tanner did for the Brookings Register
                          https://www.brookingsregister.com/ar...ing-as-a-star?
                          Large is definitely something to behold on special teams.

Comment

Working...
                          X