No announcement yet.

Tanner Castora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's too bad that KELO couldn't hang on to Tanner. He's a talented guy who appeared to work hard and gave SDSU sports more than superficial coverage. With Matt Zimmer leaving the Argus Leader, I guess that leaves Mark Ovenden and Zach Borg of Dakota News Now as the go-to sports reporting team for Jackrabbit coverage in Sioux Falls. Sources like SDSUfans.com and Jackrabbit Illustrated's podcasts and blogs are going to continue to gain importance for sports fans as traditional media outlets focus on reporting the weather and crime, and continue to shrivel away.
    This space for lease.

Comment

I was told at the tailgate Kelo fired Tanner for some reason. Tanner wants to stay in SD loves the people.
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
        I was told at the tailgate Kelo fired Tanner for some reason. Tanner wants to stay in SD loves the people.
        Who knows if that's true, but I did think that his final column had an almost elegiac tenor.

Comment

He is my favorite sports person along with zim.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            He is my favorite sports person along with zim.
            I'd be willing to shell out a few extra bucks to have the Jacks hire Castora to churn out more involved content, host sports-related segments with Tyler and/or solo, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
              He retweeted a bunch of tweets from SDSU fans saying that KELO should have sent him to Frisco since he covered the Jacks all season.

I have no insight on the matter, but I can't imagine that made KELO management very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

He retweeted a bunch of tweets from SDSU fans saying that KELO should have sent him to Frisco since he covered the Jacks all season.

I have no insight on the matter, but I can't imagine that made KELO management very happy.
                Seems like a move that fits the "cutting off your nose to spite your face " saying. I get the office politics, but telling your reporter who poured his heart and soul into covering the team all season that they are sending the sports director and a rookie news reporter instead was a major slap in the face. I know that I am finding myself watching Dakota News Now more than I used to before this happened. Hopefully Tanner finds something soon if he wants to remain in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Seems like a move that fits the "cutting off your nose to spite your face " saying. I get the office politics, but telling your reporter who poured his heart and soul into covering the team all season that they are sending the sports director and a rookie news reporter instead was a major slap in the face. I know that I am finding myself watching Dakota News Now more than I used to before this happened. Hopefully Tanner finds something soon if he wants to remain in the area.
                  I agree that he does great work and deserved to go, but also think it's probably not the best idea in the world to call out your employer on social media for not taking you along.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

Basically, Tanner got "Bigfooted"... he did the grunt work, but a bigger name (i.e. the sports director) got to go to Frisco for the coverage.

It happens in all media outlets, from newspaper to radio to television. It happened to me when I was a young lad working at KJAM. Bill O'Reilly got bigfooted at CBS, only to raise holy hell about it later. He ended up getting stuck working overnights until his contract ran out.

I'm not saying it's right... but at the same time, the boss has the final say. And unless you've been working there for a long time, you have to bite your lip and say nothing.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The foundation should hire him to do feature articles on sports and donors and university news

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                        The foundation should hire him to do feature articles on sports and donors and university news
                        It seems like there should be opportunities if he wants to stay in the area. Midco would seem to be a great option, depending on their hiring situation. If Sioux Falls Live is looking to start a TV station as has been rumored, he would be a great hire as their sports person. The Argus should be hiring another sports writer, but that doesn't sound like the greatest place to work.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

It seems like there should be opportunities if he wants to stay in the area. Midco would seem to be a great option, depending on their hiring situation. If Sioux Falls Live is looking to start a TV station as has been rumored, he would be a great hire as their sports person. The Argus should be hiring another sports writer, but that doesn't sound like the greatest place to work.
                          The only issue with that is if Tanner signed a non-compete clause when he was hired by KELO. Basically, he would have to wait a certain amount of time before he could work at another TV station in the Sioux Falls market (usually 6 months - 1 year). Of course, if the Federal Government bans non-compete clauses, this could be a non-issue.

However, if he went to work for Midco or Forum, he COULD conceivably work "behind the scenes" as a producer, an account executive, or as a writer. Then when his NC was up, he would be able to be on-air.
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

The only issue with that is if Tanner signed a non-compete clause when he was hired by KELO. Basically, he would have to wait a certain amount of time before he could work at another TV station in the Sioux Falls market (usually 6 months - 1 year). Of course, if the Federal Government bans non-compete clauses, this could be a non-issue.

However, if he went to work for Midco or Forum, he COULD conceivably work "behind the scenes" as a producer, an account executive, or as a writer. Then when his NC was up, he would be able to be on-air.
                            Not sure if you caught it, but Tanner asked Jimmy Rogers about his recruitment, Stig's belief in him, and how it changed Jimmy's life (24:07 mark), so he's still involved

Comment

Watched his youtube channel with a story about mark and his brother. His work on personal interest stories is just great.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Looks like Tanner was hangin with some of the guys last night. http://www.twitter.com/VossRudy/stat...59352634683392

Comment

Working...
                                X