GDT: Delaware (12/03/22) ***FCS Championship, 2nd Round***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    We have lots of kids around us during the regular season games. There weren't very many kids yesterday. I think the cold weather discourages a lot of the young families with little kids that attend when the weather is nicer. Maybe attendance will climb as the we get closer to Frisco and people realize we are the best team in the nation.
    I fall into this category... 3.5 hour drive, 3 young kids. I was back and forth up until Saturday morning on if we would go or not. Factor in what amounts to 7 hrs round trip in the car for the day, 20 degrees at the game, somewhat icy roads on Saturday morning after overnight freezing rain/sleet, the likely potential for 2 more home games coming up, and the comfort of my own house sounded appealing. I feel bad, I wanted to be there, I made excuses on why not to go. The #1 team in the country deserves my and our support, regardless of the weather, but it didn't happen for my family... Most likely attending this weekend, regardless of weather. Semifinal game will be tough, early family Christmas that weekend for us - depends on how big of a wife/in-law doghouse I want to get into. Semifinal game will also have very few students on campus, most will have left earlier in the week.

Comment

• I think that at least 50% of the attendance issue is other sports. I know alot of people who had kids playing Hockey and Basketball. Thats the only reason they didn't attend. In the fall the football games are on Friday and Very little Volleyball are on Saturdays also. I know some people who missed a regular season game for soccer but that's it. Football is the focus and what you do on Saturdays when your not BUSY.

My kids are young yet and when they get older I will also have which activities to attend, and I can count on one hand how many games I've missed since I graduated in 2010 and I cant just make the wife go shes more diehard than me she's missed less than me.

Its just a fact of life supporting your kids.
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

• Kids will eventually be done with activities. If we keep the die hards that we have and can add more as children get older and either stop doing conflicting activities or graduate and no longer participate, the attendance should go up, right? I wish it would go faster, but I assure those who haven't gone, you won't be disappointed. The games are fun and the crowd seems to be more into it. If it works, get to the game, you will be glad you did.
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

• I love reading the desire and drive to back the Jacks to the Nth degree. Need more butts in the seats without a doubt. A few years ago, I used to be able to make 75%+ of games and never missed the payoffs. Now, I try to make at least one game (ISU red this year) each season. What changed? Kids (5) are older. Between soccer, flag football, dance, wrestling, basketball, and robotics, Saturdays are mostly full all fall and winter. We each do what we can to support the Jacks. From afar, I'm listening on the radio, following the play-by-play, and reading the recap here and in the Argus.

Back to the original question, I don't have a solution for my situation. Free tickets wouldn't have gotten me to Brookings last Saturday, and 11am won't work for me this Saturday. Family/kids > SDSU Football. Hopefully the schedule for the Semi-Final game will work out.

Comment

• Seems to me that expecting 15-18,000 people to come to the DJD and sit/stand around in the elements, not moving around very much, for around 4 hours--in today's society, with the game available on TV (streaming or otherwise)--is probably not reasonable.

SDSU probably needs to add to DJD something like heated tents/shelters (especially on the east side?) that can be erected for cold weather/playoff games, to give people a chance to go inside and warm up (for halftime, for instance). I don't know, but I'm guessing that places like Lambeau Field in Green Bay have interior spaces that people (who don't have club/suite tickets) can go to warm up. Or, open up the SJAC for that purpose, although the logistics of that could be complex. All of this would be just more hassle for the event staff to have to deal with I'm afraid, but I think something like that needs to be done.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Seems to me that expecting 15-18,000 people to come to the DJD and sit/stand around in the elements, not moving around very much, for around 4 hours--in today's society, with the game available on TV (streaming or otherwise)--is probably not reasonable.

SDSU probably needs to add to DJD something like heated tents/shelters (especially on the east side?) that can be erected for cold weather/playoff games, to give people a chance to go inside and warm up (for halftime, for instance). I don't know, but I'm guessing that places like Lambeau Field in Green Bay have interior spaces that people (who don't have club/suite tickets) can go to warm up. Or, open up the SJAC for that purpose, although the logistics of that could be complex. All of this would be just more hassle for the event staff to have to deal with I'm afraid, but I think something like that needs to be done.
              I have been saying this for the last four years. I don't even think it should be that difficult on the west side, as the concourse is somewhat enclosed. I know it would be a large expense, but I wish the east and south side were more enclosed instead of the plain gate fencing. I have never been to Bozeman for a game, but I am curious what their setup is like that allows them to draw 16,000 fans in similar conditions.

Comment

• Bozeman reported 24 degrees with 3mph NW breeze under sunny skies. Brookings reported 19 degrees with 13 mph SW/S wind and sunny skies if you sat on the east side. I will let the true weather man to determine if the wind chill was significant. The higher altitude of Bozeman is 4800'. Brookings is 1620'. I am guessing that Bozeman was much more temperate than Brookings. I know I was not chilled through Saturday, but I was dressed to avoid getting cold except a bit of a nose drip occasionally. I can understand those who prioritize family events, feel financial restraints, or avoiding cold weather. It is not a support the Jackrabbits question.

Saturday early forecast is 15mph S wind and 39 degrees with partly sunny forecast. That will be much easier than this past Saturday.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post

I have been saying this for the last four years. I don't even think it should be that difficult on the west side, as the concourse is somewhat enclosed. I know it would be a large expense, but I wish the east and south side were more enclosed instead of the plain gate fencing. I have never been to Bozeman for a game, but I am curious what their setup is like that allows them to draw 16,000 fans in similar conditions.
                  Bobcat Stadium doesn't do anything special or different facility wise than DJD. Biggest difference is almost certainly local population base that can get to a game without travel. Bozeman has 30,000 more people than Brookings, and Gallatin county outside of Bozeman has another 70,000 people to pull from.

Comment

• Personally, with all the kid stuff going on Saturday it was a logistical trick to get everything to fit with the hour drive before and after the game. I made it work (barely), but if I hadn't bought a ticket prior to talking to my wife... I may not have been there. Better to ask forgiveness than permission in these situations

Being able to leave in the 3rd quarter when the game was 35-3 smoothed things over quite a bit.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the attendance on Saturday considering how cold it was.

I think this is all our home playoff games, 6117 is certainly better than the average of 4694.
                    2012 Eastern Illinois 4367
                    2016 Villanova 6154
                    2017 UNI 7518
                    2017 New Hampshire 5583
                    2018 Duquesne 3042
                    2019 UNI 4102
                    2020 Holy Cross 2998
                    2020 Southern Illinois 3547
                    2020 Delaware 4527
                    2021 UC Davis 3681
                    2022 Delaware 6117
                    Could/should it be better? Sure, but I think we're still trending in the right direction.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

• I think winter kids sports simply take more time up than the fall. Kids are in cross country no problem. 20 minute run and done. Football game? Just a couple hours and you are done. winter on the hand...Wrestling tourney? Please sit here for 7 hours. Dance? Competition? Don't worry....that'll be 10 hours out of your life to watch the team perform a couple times. Basketball? We can play 4 games in a day!!!!! Isn't that wonderful! Hockey? Again 6 games in 2 days or whatever......I also think we just have more winter activities than in the fall or spring that everyone has to go to on a Saturday
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

• While disappointed in the crowd size, I thought those were there were very vocal and made it feel like there was a decent crowd. Our crowd was about middle of the pack. Can't disagree with all of the reasons given except to say that they exist everywhere else as well. Found it interesting that NDSU had below 13,000. Frankly, I didn't think it was too bad in the stands at all. Now, being on the east side would have been tough. Every year the regular season attendance gets a little better. This year we were ranked higher than ever before. Size of Brookings hurts. No question the team and facilities are in place.

Here is the attendance at the other games last weekend:
                        Holy Cross - 6,265
                        William & Mary 7,110
                        Montana State - 16,397
                        NDSU - 12,929
                        Samford - 4,587
                        Incarnate Word - 2,373
                        Sacrament State - 9,136

The weather was a factor but we are also used to it and all have the gear to wear to be warm in those conditions. Tough to hear that as an excuse.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-...op%20as%20well.

The link above is to attendance for the regular season. SDSU was 10th with an average of 15,561 per game.

Other MVFC Teams:
                        NDSU (7) 17,309
                        Youngstown State (20) 10,065
                        North Dakota (26) 9,780
                        Missouri State (32) 9,197
                        Northern Iowa (38 8,359
                        Southern Illinois (46) 7,513
                        Illinois State (51) 7,190
                        South Dakota (60) 6,354 (divide by 2 for actual number)
                        Indiana State (92) 4,209
                        Western Illinois (95) 3,938

Hopefully a little bigger crowd this week! If blessed with a win, we will NEED a big crowd against Montana State to earn a trip to Frisco.

Maybe all of us die hards needs to buy some tickets for friends and get them to come. This is our best shot ever to win a national championship. Let's do our part.

See you Saturday!

SUPERBUNNY
                        Last edited by SUPERBUNNY; 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM. Reason: updated URL
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

• If the weather holds up, perhaps attendance will follow the WNIT trend of building as the stakes get larger. A name brand like Montana State would probably help too. Of course, the loss of the students would have to be offset if we play next week.

Work kept me from going last week, but I'll be there Saturday - even if I end up driving 4 hours round-trip by myself.

Comment

• Rewatching the game for fun... Delaware down 35-6, 3:37 left in the 3rd... 3rd and 15 from their own 20. We rush 3 against their 6 blockers and get the sack. Just downright incredible being able to drop 8 guys into coverage against 4 receivers.

Comment

Working...
                            X