Next: UND. Another battle in Grand Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next: UND. Another battle in Grand Forks

There’s no letup in the challenges. Next up: Bubba ball.

I swear UND players will celebrate anything, even when they’re getting their rears handed to them. So I’m predicting a hilarious UND sideline—meanwhile, out on the field, the Jacks take care of business, SDSU 28, UND 10.

UND defense is allowing over 400 yards and 30 points per game. The Jacks and Bison seem to be the only teams in the Valley with a defensive emphasis. Everyone else just seems to hope they can out score the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      UND defense is allowing over 400 yards and 30 points per game. The Jacks and Bison seem to be the only teams in the Valley with a defensive emphasis. Everyone else just seems to hope they can out score the opposition.
      Are you surprised teams like Youngstown and UNI don't have the defensive strength they traditionally do?

At first I wondered if departing transfers may be the issue, but Youngstown has had a couple DBs leave (and a couple incoming transfers), and UNI has had one depart (along with a pair of incoming transfers).

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Are you surprised teams like Youngstown and UNI don't have the defensive strength they traditionally do?

At first I wondered if departing transfers may be the issue, but Youngstown has had a couple DBs leave (and a couple incoming transfers), and UNI has had one depart (along with a pair of incoming transfers).
        Even what seems like minor coaching changes can make a big difference. Jacks defense with basically the same personnel went from being good to dominating after promoting Jimmy Rogers to coordinator.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Even what seems like minor coaching changes can make a big difference. Jacks defense with basically the same personnel went from being good to dominating after promoting Jimmy Rogers to coordinator.
          True, although Freeman's ascendance and the secondary gaining experience/gelling probably also contributed. I'd also be curious how much of an influence Bobbit's had on secondary play

Comment

Excited to see Kraft’s return and the effect it has on this offense. Jacks 31, UND 10.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
              Excited to see Kraft’s return and the effect it has on this offense. Jacks 31, UND 10.
              Hopefully Landon Wolf too. If he has any left after all the injuries, I'd like to see what he can do with a jet sweep, ala Cade Johnson. We haven't had a burner like that since Cade left.

Comment

There's certainly no gimmies on this remaining schedule... last year proved how important it is to finish strong. We're now in the driver's seat for a top seed, playing at home until the potential trip to Frisco. One hiccup in these next 4 games should still result in a top 8-seed, giving us a two-week bye going into the playoffs and hosting a game or two. Two hiccups throws us right back in the mix for a lot of travel in the playoffs. Fingers crossed we just decide on no hiccups.

At UND... for the second time in three weeks, we're playing a team coming off their bye week. We're 1-1 in the last two meetings with them since they came into the MVFC. They're going to be hungry again to prove they belong, wanting to earn their way back into the rankings after losing to SIU a few weeks ago and rejoin the conversations for playoff at-large berths. They've fallen out of the coaches poll rankings, but are #20 in the STATS. Common opponent so far is only Missouri State... but they've sure taken a tumble.. so hard to gauge comparisons there.

Jacks need to make the second bus ride north in two weeks, and take care of business again. Sure would be nice to put together a complete game in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
                  There's certainly no gimmies on this remaining schedule... last year proved how important it is to finish strong. We're now in the driver's seat for a top seed, playing at home until the potential trip to Frisco. One hiccup in these next 4 games should still result in a top 8-seed, giving us a two-week bye going into the playoffs and hosting a game or two. Two hiccups throws us right back in the mix for a lot of travel in the playoffs. Fingers crossed we just decide on no hiccups.

At UND... for the second time in three weeks, we're playing a team coming off their bye week. We're 1-1 in the last two meetings with them since they came into the MVFC. They're going to be hungry again to prove they belong, wanting to earn their way back into the rankings after losing to SIU a few weeks ago and rejoin the conversations for playoff at-large berths. They've fallen out of the coaches poll rankings, but are #20 in the STATS. Common opponent so far is only Missouri State... but they've sure taken a tumble.. so hard to gauge comparisons there.

Jacks need to make the second bus ride north in two weeks, and take care of business again. Sure would be nice to put together a complete game in the process.
                  UND's defense hasn't stopped anybody all season. Even Nebraska put up 38 on them when they were at their low point before they canned Frost.

Comment

Some side notes while we wait for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to get out of the way:
                    Today's Grand Forks Herald sports headline: "UND football to host a No. 1 team in the country for the first time since 1990". That game was against eventual NCAA D-2 National Champs, NDSU. The Bison.were 14-0, and (obviously) North Central Conference Champs. They beat UND in the final game of the regular season, 42-14. (Beat the Jacks in late September that year, 40-28.) How good were the Bison that season? (I realize anyone can start a Wikipedia page, but..) The 1990 Bison have their own Wikipedia page. Coached by Rocky Hagar. They dominated.
                    Last edited by JackJD; 10-17-2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Let’s be clear…we need to show up and play lights out and make sure history doesn’t repeat itself. I gotta believe Davis will be sidelined for a couple of weeks so it is next man up. Do not survive this game…dominate this game.

Comment

I'm headed on vacation so you're getting the opponent preview early! Here is what you need to know about #20 UND. #GoJacks
                        https://jackrabbitillustrated.com/20...eview-und.html
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Got my tickets for this one. Heading up Saturday morning, never been to GF for a football game. Anyone know a good spot, somewhat close to the Alerus Center, to hit up before the game to grab a few beers and catch some college football?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksBacker View Post
                            Got my tickets for this one. Heading up Saturday morning, never been to GF for a football game. Anyone know a good spot, somewhat close to the Alerus Center, to hit up before the game to grab a few beers and catch some college football?
                            There are a couple bars attached to the Alerus that are probably more considered part of the Canad Inns. Tavern United and Playmakers I believe (it's been a couple years since I've been there). It's connected indoors to the Alerus. There are also people that will have TVs in their tailgating rigs that have football on so I'm sure you can make some friends

Canad Inns Destination Centre Grand Forks – Canad Inns
                            Fighting Sioux

Comment

Best news from Stig's presser is that Isaiah Davis practiced yesterday and is expected to play on Saturday. Wouldn't confirm that Tucker will play, but it seems things are headed in that direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X