Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    Red and green are not allowed! Haha! I say powder blue because I saw a picture of a powder blue baseball jersey and it looked pretty sweet.
    Someone posted a picture of a uniform from back in the day that was definitely lighter blue than than the blue of today. Not quite powder blue though.

Comment

Red and green are not allowed! Haha! I say powder blue because I saw a picture of a powder blue baseball jersey and it looked pretty sweet.
      Baseball is a different beast. All MLB teams had a powder blue jersey at one point. Adding that as an SDSU football jersey is just weird IMHO.

Alternate jerseys and helmets are here to stay. As long as SDSU keeps with white and black, I don't have too big of an issue. They are highlight (almost secondary) colors on most apparel anyways. I would prefer only 1 at a time - black jerseys with blue helmets, white helmets with blue jerseys, etc. The team gets to decide though .
      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Someone is going to complain about everything!

The most recent Hare Raisers podcast gives lots of info on the white helmet story. It’s great we have a set of generous former players looking out for the program.

Comment

One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Closer to powder blue than I thought.

Comment

That's 3 different shades of blue!

Comment

Yea, I noticed that too. Haha! There is a lot going on with that uniform. I was hoping to find a more Chargers like jersey. Does anybody know if that was a normal uniform or was it for a special occasion?

Comment

The lighter blue, if revived, could look good with the white helmets. It might not look like Jackrabbits, but it might look good
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                    It might not look like Jackrabbits
                    Branding is everything. You want to be consistent with your colors and logos so people recognize it immediately. "Not looking like Jackrabbits" is not a uniform to put out.

Comment

Well it's a good thing no professional or college teams do alternative uniforms. It will really mess up their branding.

Honestly, I don't care about the uniforms. If the kids like them, then awesome. I just wondered what a powder blue jersey along the lines of the Chargers would look like. Turns out the light blue SDSU uni has already been done. ..50 years ago. Maybe we can call it a throwback uniform versus an alternate uniform. Heck use the three shades of blue in the picture and make a camo version. Auction them off online in the week leading up to the military appreciation game. When the game is over, the jersey goes to the highest bidder online and the money to a worthwhile military cause.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

Branding is everything. You want to be consistent with your colors and logos so people recognize it immediately. "Not looking like Jackrabbits" is not a uniform to put out.
                        I don't feel like branding is an issue for a "once a year" throwback uniform that will be worn inside of our stadium and on our field. Outside of that, definitely agree with you Jimmie Tuba.

Those powder blue uniforms, with the blue helmet and current white pants, would look sweet and I could almost guarantee the team would be jacked up about them.

Have you ever seen what Montana (orange and yellow), Montana State (royal and yellow), or the Green Bay Packers (navy and gold) wear for their throwbacks? I can't seem to upload photos, but they must not concern themselves with branding for the week they do it. And i guarantee they get some buzz/publicity because of the choice to do it, which is also a good thing on many fronts.

Here is where I'd stand on the uniform choices, if left up to me:
                        * Always wear the blue helmet at home, unless we ask the NCAA to do a complete white out at home (white helmet, white jersey, white pants) which would be sweet.
                        * Switch between the blue and white helmet on the road as desired
                        * Only do a black out if you have black tops and bottoms, and do it with the blue helmet to appease the "there isn't even any blue" crowd.
                        * Choose one home game to do a powder blue throwback top with blue helmet and white pants.
                        * Make the SDSU vs. USD game a color rush where the Jacks wear all Blue and the Yotes wear all Red, ala the UCLA vs. USC game. https://www.ocregister.com/2018/11/1...-rivalry-game/

So you'd have 3-4 home games with traditional blue/yellow/white combos, 2-3 that would be "alternate" with one black, one throwback and maybe one white, and your 5 road games would be white tops (outside of a USD road game) with blue/white helmets, and white/blue/yellow pants. Seems simple.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I'd be 100% behind a Charger/sky blue alternate jersey.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I'd be 100% behind a Charger/sky blue alternate jersey.
                            With a matte yellow/blue angry Jack or stretch SD pairing?

Comment

I had so many thoughts on this last night that I will try to be brief. Honestly, I could talk about uniform designs a lot longer than I would like to admit.

Well it's a good thing no professional or college teams do alternative uniforms. It will really mess up their branding.
                              Sorry, my brain was in corporate branding mode. Athletics are a bit different where they don't always lock into one color scheme. I would also say there is a big difference between professional teams/schools like Ohio State, Florida State, Oklahoma and South Dakota State. When most people hear/see SDSU - they think of San Diego State. So, IMO, it is important for the Jackrabbits to be consistent with our colors and logo.

Even at the professional level, it has only been very recently that the alternate uniforms are outside of the team's normal color scheme. This has really aligned with Nike's takeover of the uniform industry. Maybe call it the Oregon influence.

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

I don't feel like branding is an issue for a "once a year" throwback uniform that will be worn inside of our stadium and on our field.
                              You are correct. Especially on a game that isn't in the national spotlight.

In general, I have a very traditionalist/classic view of fashion/uniforms/décor. My favorite jersey post DI transition has been the Berry/TOB era Nike jerseys that just had yellow numbers on the blue jerseys. Boring but in a classic way.

I am not against alternates or throwbacks. I would prefer a yellow alternate over a black. I would prefer throwback that aligns with Jackrabbit blue versus Charger/powder blue. However, it is the team and the department that decide what those end up being. If the team is hyped to wear hunter orange on the opener for Pheasant hunting, I just ask they win in a big way.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of alternate jerseys, but I can live with them and can see why some fans like them.

I'm sure the players like them, along with the helmets.

I don't particularly care for the white helmets, although I would like to see them with white jerseys and pants.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet... but alternate uniforms probably contribute to a bump in merchandise sales. I would guess the merchandise companies (Nike, Under Armour, Addidas, etc) have data showing an increase in merchandise sales when alternate uniforms are worn, especially for "special" events like a blackout. It would be really interesting to see the merchandise sales for the bookstore for the week before and after alternate jersey games compared to other weeks.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X