No announcement yet.

GDT: Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was an ugly game. Not fun to watch and I would guess not fun to coach or play. A defensive battle should've been expected. Both teams have strong defenses, and defenses usually gel earlier in the season than offenses. The shoulda, couldas are frustrating and I am not happy with the result. Still, who in FCS, other than Delaware, played their FBS opponent stronger over the weekend?
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

The Hawkeyes having three Butkus finalists in their LB corps and a DB of Year is what seems to be getting glossed over. In addition, the pregame discussion centered largely on whether the Jacks would keep score within point spread, which they did by more than halving the line's MoV.

Just curious, did you think any of the Valley teams losing badly (e.g., being shut out) against FBS foes, who didn't have nearly the defense the Hawkeyes do, looked like proverbial FCS versus Power 5 contests? If the Bison lose by more than a FG to a lesser foe when they play Wildcats, would you say the same?

The play calling wasn't the primary issue, as there were plays, such as the post to Janke, and sideline passes to Heins and Bauer that were there. I also think we'll see Wolf more involved in the offense when Jacks aren't pinned deep in their own territory with little to no time to survey the field.

As for coaching departures and replacements, this game bolstered my excitement about Rogers being sole DC and Bobbit returning. If the defense continues to play like they did yesterday, there should be nobody the Jacks can't beat this season.
      NAILED IT!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

There's no way the coaches haven't preached that OL should avoid false starts. The staff prepared the players.

What we as fans should be discussing is how we can consistently make DJD as hostile to visiting teams as Kinnick is to Hawkeye foes.

The Jacks are gonna be awesome this season. Their defense already has been. Now we as fans need to get aggro in next week's game against Aggies.
        NAILED IT Part II !!!!

Comment

I’m just happy to see the torches and pitchforks out for Lujan already. Has to be a record!

I can only imagine how bad it would have been if he’d have opened things up and a bunch of turnovers turned that into a route.
          Last edited by MontanaRabbit; 09-04-2022, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I’m just happy to see the torches and pitchforks out for Lujan already. Has to be a record!

I can only imagine how bad it would have been if he’d have opened things up and a bunch of turnovers turned that into a route.
            Would rather that happen than whatever the heck Saturday was every single time
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

After a nice weekend to relax after the game, just a couple thoughts on the game:
              - Iowa's defense is as advertised
              - Iowa's offense is abysmal. They should be holding QB tryouts on campus this week. They were bottom 10 of FBS last year and appear headed there again.
              - Iowa's punter was MVP of the game. Not often you say that.
              - The SDSU defense was impressive when that was the question mark coming in. We will face far better offenses though so don't want to get too excited.
              - The penalties were killers and is really uncharacteristic of a Jacks team. They will get that corrected
              - Gronowski missed a couple wide open receivers, one which would have been a TD
              - A tough start for the Lujan and his offense for sure. RELAX Jacks fans. A top 5 FBS and 66,000 Iowa faithful had plenty to do with that as well. Just imagine how hot the seat of the Iowa OC must be.
              - It was a fairly officiated game. That usually isn't the case when you go play FBS teams and their conference officials

Bottom line is that had to be a long trip home because that was an opportunity lost. Nobody knows that more than all the coaches and players. This team has big time goals and I fully expect them to rebound with a much better performance this coming weekend. Was very excited for what this team can do at the FCS level. Even more excited after seeing the defense perform like that.

Two things I wouldn't want to be in Dana J. Dykehuse stadium this coming weekend: A Busch Light or a UC Davis Aggie (mascot was a Mustang, now a cow)!

Looking forward to getting the home season going!

SUPERBUNNY
              Last edited by SUPERBUNNY; 09-06-2022, 03:40 PM.
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Iowa's OC is Kirk Ferentz's son and has been the OC for Iowa since 2017
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Kinda funny just peaking over at the USD board how they spend about 4 posts complaining about their own team's performance and then instantly turn to comparing Iowa and Kansas State. They may all think Kansas State is better than Iowa but I would bet on Iowa. BIG10>BIG12. Little brother always worried about comparing to us instead of being worried about getting absolutely boat raced out of Manhattan.

Comment

Yotes will have a good measuring stick coming up @Montana. If they’re competitive in that game, they should be worth a damn this year. If they get boat races, I’d look for the wheels to start falling off in mid October after they’ve lost a couple more games. They had some hype coming into this year, and they may be able to deliver on that…. But, I think people forget that the only reason they made the playoffs last year at 7-4 was the fluke Hail Mary. Drop the ball and they don’t make the field. And, they have yet to follow up a playoff season with a return trip to the post season. They took a big step back in 2018 after Streveler took them to the second round in 17. They are going to have to win at least two games over top 5 opponents to have a shot at the playoffs.

I’m betting that the Griz manhandle them worse than K State. Missoula is a tough place to play (as we know) and I think the Griz are light years ahead of the Yotes. If I’m wrong though, that’s a great win for the valley and probably helps with seeding and potentially avoiding Missoula in the playoffs if we take care of our business.

All of the above has itching to do with Iowa, but oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                      Yotes will have a good measuring stick coming up @Montana. If they’re competitive in that game, they should be worth a damn this year. If they get boat races, I’d look for the wheels to start falling off in mid October after they’ve lost a couple more games. They had some hype coming into this year, and they may be able to deliver on that…. But, I think people forget that the only reason they made the playoffs last year at 7-4 was the fluke Hail Mary. Drop the ball and they don’t make the field. And, they have yet to follow up a playoff season with a return trip to the post season. They took a big step back in 2018 after Streveler took them to the second round in 17. They are going to have to win at least two games over top 5 opponents to have a shot at the playoffs.

I’m betting that the Griz manhandle them worse than K State. Missoula is a tough place to play (as we know) and I think the Griz are light years ahead of the Yotes. If I’m wrong though, that’s a great win for the valley and probably helps with seeding and potentially avoiding Missoula in the playoffs if we take care of our business.

All of the above has itching to do with Iowa, but oh well.
                      According the rankings, Montana has a pretty nice boat! Go Griz!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

• Two or three posts in this thread refer to Lujan quitting as a quarterback --indicating he hung up his spikes and helmet. I don't recall him doing that. I recall he lost his spot but stayed on the team. Anyone know the facts?

Comment

• Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          Two or three posts in this thread refer to Lujan quitting as a quarterback --indicating he hung up his spikes and helmet. I don't recall him doing that. I recall he lost his spot but stayed on the team. Anyone know the facts?
                          I think people are confusing him with Thomas O'Brien, who did quit mid-season around 2010, or somewhere in that era.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Two or three posts in this thread refer to Lujan quitting as a quarterback --indicating he hung up his spikes and helmet. I don't recall him doing that. I recall he lost his spot but stayed on the team. Anyone know the facts?
                            I recall it as you seem to, and I remember Lujan frequently being the first to congratulate Christion after a stellar play.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I think people are confusing him with Thomas O'Brien, who did quit mid-season around 2010, or somewhere in that era.
                              I fear you're giving the person too much credit.

The person seems to have an axe to grind, and it'd seem that same poster's calls for Eck omit the result of games like the playoff loss to the 'cats and the regular season loss to the Salukis.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I fear you're giving the person too much credit.

The person seems to have an axe to grind, and it'd seem that same poster's calls for Eck omit the result of games like the playoff loss to the 'cats and the regular season loss to the Salukis.
                                I think you're right.
                                Lujan's bio on GoJacks.com confirms he played one year at Chabot College in California and three years (2014, 2015 & 2016 seasons)) as a Jackrabbit. He's had a significant impact as a coach at SDSU -- go read it for yourself on GoJacks.com

Comment

Working...
                                X