X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPERBUNNY
    replied
    Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

There's a cost issue here as well. The more sheriff's dept. and BPD officers devoted to crowd control, the more cost shifts to Brookings city & county residents, some of whom might object to paying for security at an event they won't attend. Plus, it means those officers are less able to respond to emergencies elsewhere. Conversely, SDSU would directly fund UPD, albeit with some of that budget dervied from student and state fiscal support.

There are a couple posters on here who've made it perfectly obvious they're focused on finding any instance of what they view as UPD "misconduct" to perpetuate a grievance they've had for over five years rather than focusing on aspects of the tailgating experience that hundreds of others find perfectly enjoyable.
    Interesting take on it. I agree for the most part. However, the riot that jackdaniel mentions was at the south end of the "Backyard" during Hobo Day a few years back. A huge group of students filled into a couple of the bigger tailgating spots that weren't being used. Things continued to escalate to the point where there was a couple thousand kids there. They started throwing full beers in the air that came down and hit people and/or property. Stood and watched UPD Chief let it go on. It was a pretty ugly scene.

I've always said they have a tough job to be the fun police. They have usually showed a heavy presence that first game but then things seem to mellow out. I thought it was a well behaved crowd last Saturday.

SUPERBUNNY

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

There's a cost issue here as well. The more sheriff's dept. and BPD officers devoted to crowd control, the more cost shifts to Brookings city & county residents, some of whom might object to paying for security at an event they won't attend. Plus, it means those officers are less able to respond to emergencies elsewhere. Conversely, SDSU would directly fund UPD, albeit with some of that budget dervied from student and state fiscal support.

There are a couple posters on here who've made it perfectly obvious they're focused on finding any instance of what they view as UPD "misconduct" to perpetuate a grievance they've had for over five years rather than focusing on aspects of the tailgating experience that hundreds of others find perfectly enjoyable.
    Never thought of that, good points.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Wasn't there a riot many years ago of students (I'm old and have an old memory of things) Not saying it has or should have any bearing on policies and procedures of the current UPD members but wonder out loud if that situation many years ago had a lasting (too long of lasting?) effect on the campus to never re-visit that unfortunate event in the minds of those administrators then and afterward by way of passing down through the years. Hope not, but that would be a plausible explanation for any perceived over bearing actions of the UPD over handling crowd control, which oddly, could have an opposite effect if too oppressive. I debated if I should even have mentioned this past event, I think it was very long ago and probably very few even have any recollection of it ever happening. Maybe best if it stays that way on second thought. I agree with the poster who suggested, in my view, the proper way to voice grievances, e-mail the administration for some changes to make an event more enjoyable for those attending, while still not letting it get too wild and out of control. Compromise is a good thing if done right.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Wasn't there a riot many years ago of students (I'm old and have an old memory of things) Not saying it has or should have any bearing on policies and procedures of the current UPD members but wonder out loud if that situation many years ago had a lasting (too long of lasting?) effect on the campus to never re-visit that unfortunate event in the minds of those administrators then and afterward by way of passing down through the years. Hope not, but that would be a plausible explanation for any perceived over bearing actions of the UPD over handling crowd control, which oddly, could have an opposite effect if too oppressive. I debated if I should even have mentioned this past event, I think it was very long ago and probably very few even have any recollection of it ever happening. Maybe best if it stays that way on second thought. I agree with the poster who suggested, in my view, the proper way to voice grievances, e-mail the administration for some changes to make an event more enjoyable for those attending, while still not letting it get too wild and out of control. Compromise is a good thing if done right.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    When I arrived at 1;30 there was a ton of UPD around. As the day went on that didn't seem to be the case. Every year that I can recall, the UPD and other law enforcement (there was Brookings PD and Brookings County Sheriff officers there as well) have had a heavy presence the first week. We didn't have any issues at all. I have certainly been quite critical of them in the past. Unfortunate to here others didn't have as good of an experience.

FYI, what was everyone's thoughts on alcohol in the stands? Didn't seem to be any issues that I saw. Pretty decent crowd.

SUPERBUNNY
    I was pleasantly surprised by how well the alcohol sales and traffic through the stands went, and I didn't witness much in the way of alcohol-induced rowdiness.

One of my only complaints about the crowd is the propensity of folks to congregate at the bottom of the bleacher stairwells, which are already restricted, leading to bottlenecks

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I'm not going to take the time to send an email or anything, but did anybody else notice at least 1 F-bomb over the loudspeakers during the game on Saturday? They were playing "In Da Club" by 50 cent. My daughter claims to have heard a song with the N-word as well, I didn't hear it. But I definitely heard the F-bomb.

Can't have that sort of thing if you want families to consistently attend.
    I agree the music selection could be improved. Having said that, I think the acoustics/volume this year was about the best it's been since the new scoreboard's been utilized.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

I get what you’re trying to say here, but it’s a noticeable difference between SDSU and other places. This isn’t something that people complain about in other campuses, and it’s not because we’re uniquely sensitive to it. Our UPD has been heavy handed for years, and most of us have witnessed it first hand, many different times. Years ago, I dealt with them in various student org groups, and they’ve always been antagonistic to students. I get that they have a job to do, but they go out of their way to crack down and at other places, they don’t. I’ve never seen, heard about, or experienced campus police in other places like ours are here. I’m not saying that kids don’t and shouldn’t get minors. If you’re being a drunk idiot, making a scene, and underage, I have no problem with them handing out a minor. That’s not usually what’s going on here though, and I’ve witnessed enough of it first hand that you aren’t going to convince me otherwise.
    You undercut your argument by making this overgeneralization. Complaints about law enforcement, ticketing, etc. are nigh universal.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I didn't see all 30,000 people tailgating in Iowa City as you did, but I did witness a couple kids getting what I assume were underage citations at tailgating in Iowa City. Maybe there were 30,003 people tailgating?

Or maybe kids get underage consumption citations at all schools with tailgating? Nah, UPD just sucks and ruins tailgating.
    I get what you’re trying to say here, but it’s a noticeable difference between SDSU and other places. This isn’t something that people complain about in other campuses, and it’s not because we’re uniquely sensitive to it. Our UPD has been heavy handed for years, and most of us have witnessed it first hand, many different times. Years ago, I dealt with them in various student org groups, and they’ve always been antagonistic to students. I get that they have a job to do, but they go out of their way to crack down and at other places, they don’t. I’ve never seen, heard about, or experienced campus police in other places like ours are here. I’m not saying that kids don’t and shouldn’t get minors. If you’re being a drunk idiot, making a scene, and underage, I have no problem with them handing out a minor. That’s not usually what’s going on here though, and I’ve witnessed enough of it first hand that you aren’t going to convince me otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    How are the UPD in other lots? They were swarming all over the backyard today. At one point I saw two underage girls getting tickets for drinking and there were 9 UPD hovering. Enough already. I saw 30,000 people tailgating in Iowa City last week and only saw 3 or 4 cops directing traffic.
    I didn't see all 30,000 people tailgating in Iowa City as you did, but I did witness a couple kids getting what I assume were underage citations at tailgating in Iowa City. Maybe there were 30,003 people tailgating?

Or maybe kids get underage consumption citations at all schools with tailgating? Nah, UPD just sucks and ruins tailgating.

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I didn't make it to the Backyard yesterday and from where I was sitting, enjoying a pre-game beverage and some snacks, I didn't pay attention to the UPD (saw them walking around a few times). If UPD personnel were tearing around on a 4 wheeler in the Backyard, they should be pulled up short by those in the school admnistration who are in charge of that group. If I had watched what you saw yesterday, I'd be as upset you, but, I don't think making a broad statement trashing the game day experience and saying it gets worse every year is accurate. Our growth over time in attendance and the fans base suggests the game day experience is attracting people. It seems like when one or a few posters make claims about UPD, lurkers from othere schools post on their message board exaggerated claims about the SDSU game experience (yeah, it's likely that has little impact but if it has some impact, then that's a shame).

I encourage you to contact the administration and tell them what you saw and make sure you sign your name and provide an address or phone number so that you can be contacted.
    I'm not going to take the time to send an email or anything, but did anybody else notice at least 1 F-bomb over the loudspeakers during the game on Saturday? They were playing "In Da Club" by 50 cent. My daughter claims to have heard a song with the N-word as well, I didn't hear it. But I definitely heard the F-bomb.

Can't have that sort of thing if you want families to consistently attend.

Leave a comment:

• SUPERBUNNY
    replied
    When I arrived at 1;30 there was a ton of UPD around. As the day went on that didn't seem to be the case. Every year that I can recall, the UPD and other law enforcement (there was Brookings PD and Brookings County Sheriff officers there as well) have had a heavy presence the first week. We didn't have any issues at all. I have certainly been quite critical of them in the past. Unfortunate to here others didn't have as good of an experience.

FYI, what was everyone's thoughts on alcohol in the stands? Didn't seem to be any issues that I saw. Pretty decent crowd.

SUPERBUNNY

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I didn't make it to the Backyard yesterday and from where I was sitting, enjoying a pre-game beverage and some snacks, I didn't pay attention to the UPD (saw them walking around a few times). If UPD personnel were tearing around on a 4 wheeler in the Backyard, they should be pulled up short by those in the school admnistration who are in charge of that group. If I had watched what you saw yesterday, I'd be as upset you, but, I don't think making a broad statement trashing the game day experience and saying it gets worse every year is accurate. Our growth over time in attendance and the fans base suggests the game day experience is attracting people. It seems like when one or a few posters make claims about UPD, lurkers from othere schools post on their message board exaggerated claims about the SDSU game experience (yeah, it's likely that has little impact but if it has some impact, then that's a shame).

I encourage you to contact the administration and tell them what you saw and make sure you sign your name and provide an address or phone number so that you can be contacted.
    Amen, it's easy to criticize without knowing details on what UPD was responding to.

Also, I emailed Facilities late last night asking if it'd be possible to open more than one entrance on the east side for postgame exiting to minimize bottlenecks, and I received a response today promising that they'd have multiple gates open for exiting, so they're definitely receptive to feedback.

Having said that, I'd agree that the revised egress routes merit criticism, as it's baffling they'd funnel traffic to areas where hundreds of fans and the Pride are crossing the street.
    Last edited by jakejc795; 09-11-2022, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied
    Originally posted by juniorjackgrownold View Post
    If I had kids running around the backyard I probably would’ve been arrested today. No reason for UPD to be racing down the gravel road on their 4 wheelers to ticket some college kid for drinking. The lack of safety by the upd for the hundreds of law abiding citizens in the backyard to “catch” a 20 year old is appalling. The game day experience gets worse and worse every year. Get a grip UPD, good lord.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    UPD is ridiculous here and always have been. They got a lot worse after 2015 or so, which is when they started doing the wristbands. I’ve been tailgating lots of other places and you never see their UPD as active as ours.

Leave a comment:

• juniorjackgrownold
    replied
    If I had kids running around the backyard I probably would’ve been arrested today. No reason for UPD to be racing down the gravel road on their 4 wheelers to ticket some college kid for drinking. The lack of safety by the upd for the hundreds of law abiding citizens in the backyard to “catch” a 20 year old is appalling. The game day experience gets worse and worse every year. Get a grip UPD, good lord.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X