Tailgating 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgating 2022

Where does everyone tailgate, how does it work there, would you recommend it? I've been to the Backyard, how about the other lots around the stadium? When do they open, cost, parking tag requirements if any, do you have to reserve spots or first come first served, etc?
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    Where does everyone tailgate, how does it work there, would you recommend it? I've been to the Backyard, how about the other lots around the stadium? When do they open, cost, parking tag requirements if any, do you have to reserve spots or first come first served, etc?
    Folks tailgate on the east side, both along the fence nearest the concourse and in the parking lot. Many have been done so for years, so I suspect they find it enjoyable.

Comment

Our group has been in the backyard for a longtime. Which I would say that its dyeing its half corporate gatherings and some spots will sit empty for the non big games. They adding some changes to tailgating this year, adding reserve spots in the parking lot to the NW of Stadium. I would say the Hyper and Library lots are probably where the majority of tailgating is done that isn't a reserve spot, I believe its free if you have a priority pass or you can pay $10. The book club can elaborate more on Library lot since that's where they tailgate. I do know that the alumni tent is just east of the library lot.
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

We're in the North Library lot by the outhouses with the #JackrabbitBookclub.
        You're always welcome to come by, plenty of folks to talk with and socialize. Likely you'll be offered food and or drink.

Comment

How are the UPD in other lots? They were swarming all over the backyard today. At one point I saw two underage girls getting tickets for drinking and there were 9 UPD hovering. Enough already. I saw 30,000 people tailgating in Iowa City last week and only saw 3 or 4 cops directing traffic.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

If I had kids running around the backyard I probably would’ve been arrested today. No reason for UPD to be racing down the gravel road on their 4 wheelers to ticket some college kid for drinking. The lack of safety by the upd for the hundreds of law abiding citizens in the backyard to “catch” a 20 year old is appalling. The game day experience gets worse and worse every year. Get a grip UPD, good lord.

Comment

UPD is ridiculous here and always have been. They got a lot worse after 2015 or so, which is when they started doing the wristbands. I’ve been tailgating lots of other places and you never see their UPD as active as ours.

Comment

Originally posted by juniorjackgrownold View Post
                If I had kids running around the backyard I probably would’ve been arrested today. No reason for UPD to be racing down the gravel road on their 4 wheelers to ticket some college kid for drinking. The lack of safety by the upd for the hundreds of law abiding citizens in the backyard to “catch” a 20 year old is appalling. The game day experience gets worse and worse every year. Get a grip UPD, good lord.
                I didn't make it to the Backyard yesterday and from where I was sitting, enjoying a pre-game beverage and some snacks, I didn't pay attention to the UPD (saw them walking around a few times). If UPD personnel were tearing around on a 4 wheeler in the Backyard, they should be pulled up short by those in the school admnistration who are in charge of that group. If I had watched what you saw yesterday, I'd be as upset you, but, I don't think making a broad statement trashing the game day experience and saying it gets worse every year is accurate. Our growth over time in attendance and the fans base suggests the game day experience is attracting people. It seems like when one or a few posters make claims about UPD, lurkers from othere schools post on their message board exaggerated claims about the SDSU game experience (yeah, it's likely that has little impact but if it has some impact, then that's a shame).

I encourage you to contact the administration and tell them what you saw and make sure you sign your name and provide an address or phone number so that you can be contacted.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I didn't make it to the Backyard yesterday and from where I was sitting, enjoying a pre-game beverage and some snacks, I didn't pay attention to the UPD (saw them walking around a few times). If UPD personnel were tearing around on a 4 wheeler in the Backyard, they should be pulled up short by those in the school admnistration who are in charge of that group. If I had watched what you saw yesterday, I'd be as upset you, but, I don't think making a broad statement trashing the game day experience and saying it gets worse every year is accurate. Our growth over time in attendance and the fans base suggests the game day experience is attracting people. It seems like when one or a few posters make claims about UPD, lurkers from othere schools post on their message board exaggerated claims about the SDSU game experience (yeah, it's likely that has little impact but if it has some impact, then that's a shame).

I encourage you to contact the administration and tell them what you saw and make sure you sign your name and provide an address or phone number so that you can be contacted.
                  Amen, it's easy to criticize without knowing details on what UPD was responding to.

Also, I emailed Facilities late last night asking if it'd be possible to open more than one entrance on the east side for postgame exiting to minimize bottlenecks, and I received a response today promising that they'd have multiple gates open for exiting, so they're definitely receptive to feedback.

Having said that, I'd agree that the revised egress routes merit criticism, as it's baffling they'd funnel traffic to areas where hundreds of fans and the Pride are crossing the street.
                  Last edited by jakejc795; 09-11-2022, 01:47 PM.

Comment

When I arrived at 1;30 there was a ton of UPD around. As the day went on that didn't seem to be the case. Every year that I can recall, the UPD and other law enforcement (there was Brookings PD and Brookings County Sheriff officers there as well) have had a heavy presence the first week. We didn't have any issues at all. I have certainly been quite critical of them in the past. Unfortunate to here others didn't have as good of an experience.

FYI, what was everyone's thoughts on alcohol in the stands? Didn't seem to be any issues that I saw. Pretty decent crowd.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I'm not going to take the time to send an email or anything, but did anybody else notice at least 1 F-bomb over the loudspeakers during the game on Saturday? They were playing "In Da Club" by 50 cent. My daughter claims to have heard a song with the N-word as well, I didn't hear it. But I definitely heard the F-bomb.

Can't have that sort of thing if you want families to consistently attend.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                        How are the UPD in other lots? They were swarming all over the backyard today. At one point I saw two underage girls getting tickets for drinking and there were 9 UPD hovering. Enough already. I saw 30,000 people tailgating in Iowa City last week and only saw 3 or 4 cops directing traffic.
                        I didn't see all 30,000 people tailgating in Iowa City as you did, but I did witness a couple kids getting what I assume were underage citations at tailgating in Iowa City. Maybe there were 30,003 people tailgating?

Or maybe kids get underage consumption citations at all schools with tailgating? Nah, UPD just sucks and ruins tailgating.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I didn't see all 30,000 people tailgating in Iowa City as you did, but I did witness a couple kids getting what I assume were underage citations at tailgating in Iowa City. Maybe there were 30,003 people tailgating?

Or maybe kids get underage consumption citations at all schools with tailgating? Nah, UPD just sucks and ruins tailgating.
                          I get what you’re trying to say here, but it’s a noticeable difference between SDSU and other places. This isn’t something that people complain about in other campuses, and it’s not because we’re uniquely sensitive to it. Our UPD has been heavy handed for years, and most of us have witnessed it first hand, many different times. Years ago, I dealt with them in various student org groups, and they’ve always been antagonistic to students. I get that they have a job to do, but they go out of their way to crack down and at other places, they don’t. I’ve never seen, heard about, or experienced campus police in other places like ours are here. I’m not saying that kids don’t and shouldn’t get minors. If you’re being a drunk idiot, making a scene, and underage, I have no problem with them handing out a minor. That’s not usually what’s going on here though, and I’ve witnessed enough of it first hand that you aren’t going to convince me otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

I get what you’re trying to say here, but it’s a noticeable difference between SDSU and other places. This isn’t something that people complain about in other campuses, and it’s not because we’re uniquely sensitive to it. Our UPD has been heavy handed for years, and most of us have witnessed it first hand, many different times. Years ago, I dealt with them in various student org groups, and they’ve always been antagonistic to students. I get that they have a job to do, but they go out of their way to crack down and at other places, they don’t. I’ve never seen, heard about, or experienced campus police in other places like ours are here. I’m not saying that kids don’t and shouldn’t get minors. If you’re being a drunk idiot, making a scene, and underage, I have no problem with them handing out a minor. That’s not usually what’s going on here though, and I’ve witnessed enough of it first hand that you aren’t going to convince me otherwise.
                            You undercut your argument by making this overgeneralization. Complaints about law enforcement, ticketing, etc. are nigh universal.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I'm not going to take the time to send an email or anything, but did anybody else notice at least 1 F-bomb over the loudspeakers during the game on Saturday? They were playing "In Da Club" by 50 cent. My daughter claims to have heard a song with the N-word as well, I didn't hear it. But I definitely heard the F-bomb.

Can't have that sort of thing if you want families to consistently attend.
                              I agree the music selection could be improved. Having said that, I think the acoustics/volume this year was about the best it's been since the new scoreboard's been utilized.

Comment

Working...
                              X