Tailgating 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    When I arrived at 1;30 there was a ton of UPD around. As the day went on that didn't seem to be the case. Every year that I can recall, the UPD and other law enforcement (there was Brookings PD and Brookings County Sheriff officers there as well) have had a heavy presence the first week. We didn't have any issues at all. I have certainly been quite critical of them in the past. Unfortunate to here others didn't have as good of an experience.

FYI, what was everyone's thoughts on alcohol in the stands? Didn't seem to be any issues that I saw. Pretty decent crowd.

SUPERBUNNY
    I was pleasantly surprised by how well the alcohol sales and traffic through the stands went, and I didn't witness much in the way of alcohol-induced rowdiness.

One of my only complaints about the crowd is the propensity of folks to congregate at the bottom of the bleacher stairwells, which are already restricted, leading to bottlenecks

Comment

Wasn't there a riot many years ago of students (I'm old and have an old memory of things) Not saying it has or should have any bearing on policies and procedures of the current UPD members but wonder out loud if that situation many years ago had a lasting (too long of lasting?) effect on the campus to never re-visit that unfortunate event in the minds of those administrators then and afterward by way of passing down through the years. Hope not, but that would be a plausible explanation for any perceived over bearing actions of the UPD over handling crowd control, which oddly, could have an opposite effect if too oppressive. I debated if I should even have mentioned this past event, I think it was very long ago and probably very few even have any recollection of it ever happening. Maybe best if it stays that way on second thought. I agree with the poster who suggested, in my view, the proper way to voice grievances, e-mail the administration for some changes to make an event more enjoyable for those attending, while still not letting it get too wild and out of control. Compromise is a good thing if done right.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        Wasn't there a riot many years ago of students (I'm old and have an old memory of things) Not saying it has or should have any bearing on policies and procedures of the current UPD members but wonder out loud if that situation many years ago had a lasting (too long of lasting?) effect on the campus to never re-visit that unfortunate event in the minds of those administrators then and afterward by way of passing down through the years. Hope not, but that would be a plausible explanation for any perceived over bearing actions of the UPD over handling crowd control, which oddly, could have an opposite effect if too oppressive. I debated if I should even have mentioned this past event, I think it was very long ago and probably very few even have any recollection of it ever happening. Maybe best if it stays that way on second thought. I agree with the poster who suggested, in my view, the proper way to voice grievances, e-mail the administration for some changes to make an event more enjoyable for those attending, while still not letting it get too wild and out of control. Compromise is a good thing if done right.
        There's a cost issue here as well. The more sheriff's dept. and BPD officers devoted to crowd control, the more cost shifts to Brookings city & county residents, some of whom might object to paying for security at an event they won't attend. Plus, it means those officers are less able to respond to emergencies elsewhere. Conversely, SDSU would directly fund UPD, albeit with some of that budget dervied from student and state fiscal support.

There are a couple posters on here who've made it perfectly obvious they're focused on finding any instance of what they view as UPD "misconduct" to perpetuate a grievance they've had for over five years rather than focusing on aspects of the tailgating experience that hundreds of others find perfectly enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

There's a cost issue here as well. The more sheriff's dept. and BPD officers devoted to crowd control, the more cost shifts to Brookings city & county residents, some of whom might object to paying for security at an event they won't attend. Plus, it means those officers are less able to respond to emergencies elsewhere. Conversely, SDSU would directly fund UPD, albeit with some of that budget dervied from student and state fiscal support.

There are a couple posters on here who've made it perfectly obvious they're focused on finding any instance of what they view as UPD "misconduct" to perpetuate a grievance they've had for over five years rather than focusing on aspects of the tailgating experience that hundreds of others find perfectly enjoyable.
          Never thought of that, good points.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Interesting take on it. I agree for the most part. However, the riot that jackdaniel mentions was at the south end of the "Backyard" during Hobo Day a few years back. A huge group of students filled into a couple of the bigger tailgating spots that weren't being used. Things continued to escalate to the point where there was a couple thousand kids there. They started throwing full beers in the air that came down and hit people and/or property. Stood and watched UPD Chief let it go on. It was a pretty ugly scene.

I've always said they have a tough job to be the fun police. They have usually showed a heavy presence that first game but then things seem to mellow out. I thought it was a well behaved crowd last Saturday.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
            X