SDSU to a bowl game?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU to a bowl game?!

With the sudden craze of pulling out of bowl games due to 'Covid' related reasons, the thought crossed my mind...why not fill some of these slots with FCS playoff teams? Call it a FBS/FCS bowl challenge, of sorts. You know our Jacks wouldn't hesitate to step up and play anybody, anywhere. Maybe I'm completely nuts, perhaps it isn't allowed, or feasible, either. I'm just sick of seeing teams at or below .500 get rewarded with a bowl game, and then run the other way. Thoughts?
    "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

I totally support thos move. Both us and james madison i feel would be a much more worthy opponent in many of those games.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by wr54 View Post
      With the sudden craze of pulling out of bowl games due to 'Covid' related reasons, the thought crossed my mind...why not fill some of these slots with FCS playoff teams? Call it a FBS/FCS bowl challenge, of sorts. You know our Jacks wouldn't hesitate to step up and play anybody, anywhere. Maybe I'm completely nuts, perhaps it isn't allowed, or feasible, either. I'm just sick of seeing teams at or below .500 get rewarded with a bowl game, and then run the other way. Thoughts?
      That would seemingly require a waiver per Bylaw 18.7.2.3 that would argue that the Jacks, with one FBS win, merit consideration at the exclusion of other "deserving" FBS teams (per Bylaw 18.7.2.1) having greater than one win.

Both Bylaws can be found on pg. 356 here.

Comment

The bowl games that are canceling have just one of the teams with COVID issues, so you would think they would reshuffle the teams that are healthy to create some match-ups.

Comment

Our boys are at home getting their first break in a long time. This last year burnt them out. Coaches and players deserve a break. Not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
            Our boys are at home getting their first break in a long time. This last year burnt them out. Coaches and players deserve a break. Not happening.
            The team and school would get a crap-load of money to play in a bowl. The players get free stuff for playing in the game and it's national television. The much deserved break is great, but if the call ever happened they would take it. The money alone would make it worth it for the school.
            Rollin' in my 5.0
            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

The team and school would get a crap-load of money to play in a bowl. The players get free stuff for playing in the game and it's national television. The much deserved break is great, but if the call ever happened they would take it. The money alone would make it worth it for the school.
              The most likely route to a bylaw exemption would be for inviting FBS conference(s) to entice FCS team(s) to embark on a multi-season FBS transition culminating in a bowl game. Otherwise, there's little to no chance FBS teams having more FBS wins (and the conferences in which those teams reside) would favor allowing an FCS institution to gain consideration, not to mention any financial incentives, instead of them

Otherwise, I suppose FCS "contenders" (e.g., Jackson State) could try to stimulate the eventual development of FCS "bowls" for non-playoff qualifiers, but that route would seem most likely to result in a "play-in" structure, as there would be fiscal issues otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

No way it happens this year even if the call happened. The season ended two weeks ago.

I also don't think the money is that lucrative for a bowl game, in fact, some schools actually lose money.

Comment

I am sure all rules could be thrown out the window and SDSU could accept if invited. However, if I am a player after 25 games in the last 10 months. Right now I am sitting at home for the first time in forever, probably eating way too much junk holiday food, partying with old HS friends, and spending a few weeks not working out. I am beyond mentally checked out from football for a bit. The last thing I want to do is get a call that I have to report back to campus sooner than expected and start practicing again to go play in a game that does nothing for our teams goals (winning a conference title, getting a playoff seed, winning a national championship).

Comment

The 2007 Bison have entered the conversation. What's up fellas?

Comment

Apparently, I wasn't the only one with the idea. SFA doesn't have as good of a shot as we do, and I believe Central Michigan has since filled the vacancy, but I applaud the effort.

An FCS program is lobbying for a chance to play in a bowl game - Footballscoop

Comment

Apparently, I wasn't the only one with the idea. SFA doesn't have as good of a shot as we do, and I believe Central Michigan has since filled the vacancy, but I applaud the effort.

An FCS program is lobbying for a chance to play in a bowl game - Footballscoop
                        Not sure how much stock to put in a report in which the author indicates he doesn't know the reason(s) the NCAA wouldn't allow an FCS team to play when it's mentioned in the bylaws

Comment

The Lumberjacks' HC has been pretty active on Twitter, about it. That should reinforce the stock.

https://twitter.com/CoachCarthel?t=o...h_4N424xg&s=09

Comment

The Lumberjacks' HC has been pretty active on Twitter, about it. That should reinforce the stock.

https://twitter.com/CoachCarthel?t=o...h_4N424xg&s=09
                            I'm not disputing the Lumberjacks are "jacking their social media jaws."

That doesn't change the fact that bylaws governing bowl eligibility preclude their consideration, and "media" indicating they don't know why an FCS team wouldn't be considered is extremely lazy "research"

Comment

Well, Pierre will be playing in the Shrine Bowl, so there's our consolation. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X