Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@ Sacramento State Hornets (NCAA FCS Second Round)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Sacramento State Hornets (NCAA FCS Second Round)

Can’t wait for this game. Today’s win feels great and I’m anxious to see if we can carry it over. We haven’t been able to sustain momentum all year, but we also haven’t had a performance like that since Colorado State either.

I’ll admit, I don’t know tons about the Hornets. They quietly sealed the Big Sky outright and are ranked in the top 3 in the conference for both offense and defense. The last that I had seen, Sac was not averaging much for attendance and played in a large, empty stadium. Not sure how much that has changed in recent years, but I doubt it will be even a half full stadium. They seem to draw around 7000 per home game this year, and I’d expect that number to be lower next week. They also have a track around the field, further reducing the fan impact.

Looks like it will be a 6 PM kickoff Pacific Time, so that will be a little out of routine.

Without knowing much about the Hornets, I’d say that we should be favored going into this game. They look like they have a good D and a good O, especially running the ball. We stop the run well and showed today that we can pile it up on the ground. If we ply like we did today, I’d expect us to win by 10+. If we have one of our dud games, this could be a 2 score loss. Neither result will surprise me at this point.

Looking at results this season they had close games against bad teams beating Dixie St 19-7, ISU 23-2, IU 27-24, UNC 27-24. They also beat Montana so who knows? Early in the season they gave up 34 against UNI in a loss. I like State's chances if they put together a game with few mistakes. And hey, the Jacks can run the ball!
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
      Looking at results this season they had close games against bad teams beating Dixie St 19-7, ISU 23-2, IU 27-24, UNC 27-24. They also beat Montana so who knows? Early in the season they gave up 34 against UNI in a loss. I like State's chances if they put together a game with few mistakes. And hey, the Jacks can run the ball!
      Sac State missed EWU and Montana State, giving them a paper tiger label in the Big Sky this year. I’m not sure how legit they are or aren’t, but they do have good wins against Montana and Davis, although the win over Montana was while the Griz were missing Humphrey, their stud QB. Like I said, I have no doubt the Hornets are good enough to beat the Jacks, especially if we implode. But I think if we play like we have in our better games this season, we will win going away.

Comment

8pm gametime…that’s a lot of sittin’ and stewin’ preparing for the game. Could work in our favor with guys letting loose right away, or the opposite.

I’ve always been in favor of deferring if you win the coin flip, but in this case I’d want the ball to set the tone and run it down their throats.

Comment

I hate the late game, but I believe the same thing happened in 2019 when Sac hosted their first playoff game. We’ve had issues sustaining momentum all year, but this game feels like it could be the start of something. Davis was over matched, but Sac appears to be a step up in size and talent. Bigger O and D line. If we come out and establish the run, I think we can hold them down on D and get out with the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            I hate the late game, but I believe the same thing happened in 2019 when Sac hosted their first playoff game. We’ve had issues sustaining momentum all year, but this game feels like it could be the start of something. Davis was over matched, but Sac appears to be a step up in size and talent. Bigger O and D line. If we come out and establish the run, I think we can hold them down on D and get out with the win.
            Jacks will be able to run. Having a healthy Davis back to compliment Pierre makes SDSU a top 2 team.

I think the key is if the Jacks can generate pressure with just 4. Being able to drop the linebackers deeper really makes this secondary better.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Looks like Sac has multiple QBs they use, similar to UC Davis. One of their QBs is their leading rusher. Seem similar to Davis, probably a bit better. Jacks should win by 2 scores and I expect another 40 carries by Strong/Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                Looks like Sac has multiple QBs they use, similar to UC Davis. One of their QBs is their leading rusher. Seem similar to Davis, probably a bit better. Jacks should win by 2 scores and I expect another 40 carries by Strong/Davis.
                Opening line is Jacks -9
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I think the game is fairly easy to figure out.
                  If SDSU turns the ball over one time or less and has less that 50 yards in penalties, they will win the game by two scores. They can win with more TO's and have more penalties but it will be a game.
                  SDSU lost two games to playoff teams when they were missing 4 starters on defense and Davis. One game was on a 2-point conversion and the other game was a real close game.
                  A healthy SDSU will be a tough team to beat. They should be tike the team they were in the spring.

I will admit that I do not know much about Sacramento State so I could be wrong but a healthy SDSU is a semifinal team.

Comment

The Jacks head to Sacramento to face the Big Sky Champion Hornets. This is an unfamiliar opponent that is good on both sides of the ball. Learn more about them here. #GoJacks #RunTheTable

https://jackrabbitillustrated.com/20...nto-state.html
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

With such a late game how does that affect the teams travel schedule? I’m assuming they still leave Friday morning, do the walk through and such. Long day on Saturday waiting though.

Comment

They definitely have an interesting offense when it comes to the handling of the quarterbacks, almost like a box of chocolates. On some drives you have Dunniway (the passer) being the primary QB for the series and on others it'll be O'Hara (the runner). On the bright side, you pretty much know the type of play 80% of the time given who is in. Don't be surprised to see them make 3 qb swaps on any 10+ play drive.

O'Hara was a two-year starter at Middle Tennessee before transferring. He's capable of throwing downfield three times on a drive, but I think we'll probably just see a bunch of passes to the flats with an occasional corner route or deep shot. I don't think I saw him slide once; he did, however, try to hurdle a linebacker and get flipped once or twice and helicoptered another time. I'm interested in seeing how we respond to the qb powers and empty backfield qb draws. Cameron Skattebo is a physical back who was fun to watch and not afraid to put his body on the line for a block. He's also got a little Toby in him. https://twitter.com/i/status/1462473663920230400
                        Last edited by peavy; 11-30-2021, 09:19 AM. Reason: meant type of play, not outcome

Comment

Which one?

OR

Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

That's Vikings legend Toby Gerhart to you
                            Last edited by peavy; 11-30-2021, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Anyone else here going to the game? It’s an easy non-stop from here in Boise. But we are still trying to decide where to stay. If it is nice around campus with bars, restaurants, etc., we will stay around there. Downtown is out of the question - Sacramento Marathon is Sunday and rooms are $$$$$$.

If nothing else we will stay near the airport and Uber to East Sac/Campus for festivities and the game.
                              Last edited by Crashola; 11-30-2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X