Playoffs: First round UC Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Hoping we can get 10,000 at the Cal Davis game. Either way the people who show up at playoffs game are usually into it from the beginning!
    10,000. Wow you are optimistic. I am guessing 5,000-7500.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

10,000. Wow you are optimistic. I am guessing 5,000-7500.
      I think the USD loss completely derailed the momentum amongst the fans. Then an underwhelming result against UND didn’t really recharge the base. I expect <10,000 at the game. If the weather was really bad it would be <7k.

Comment

Attendance numbers in playoff home games
        spring season: 2998, 3547, 4527
        2019: 4102
        2018: 3042
        2017: 7518, 5583
        2016: 6154
        2012 (Coughlin): 4367

Comment

Hi fellas, i come in peace . CA Forever summed up our season well. Every team is banged up this time of the year, but the key injuries mentioned by CA have killed us. We apparently don’t have the depth for “next man up.” If we were solid at QB i think we could overcome the other position weaknesses, but we’re not. I see you guys as a 2 TD favorite.
          BTW, we’re not Cal-Davis. I think that was a car salesman. Wish i was getting up there for the game. I’d stick around and go hunting afterwards .

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

I think the USD loss completely derailed the momentum amongst the fans. Then an underwhelming result against UND didn’t really recharge the base. I expect <10,000 at the game. If the weather was really bad it would be <7k.
            To be honest, if you look at past November attendance figures even in 9 or 10 win seasons, whether they be regular season or playoffs, the only way we draw over 8,000 is for Marker and USD games. There is a core group of fans that will come out no matter what, and I'm not sure even 60 degree weather in late November or December would bring out many more.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
              Attendance numbers in playoff home games
              spring season: 2998, 3547, 4527
              2019: 4102
              2018: 3042
              2017: 7518, 5583
              2016: 6154
              2012 (Coughlin): 4367
              For a little context: 2012 was a thanksgiving weekend games. 2018 was the Duquesne snowstorm. 2017 was a home game vs UNI and against UNH in the quarterfinals, 2016 was our first seed home game vs Nova, and obviously the spring season was a little different with covid. Not trying to change the perception of the numbers one way or the other, just pointing out which ones had bad weather and which ones were on thanksgiving weekend.

I will be shocked if we have more than 7k in the stadium on Saturday. Thanksgiving, past attendance issues in November/December, and this years sub par results all equal a sparse crowd on Saturday

Comment

Massey is predicting an SDSU win over UC Davis, 31-14 with 89% probability. Considering what the Davis fans have posted in this thread, it might be right. The SDSU defense has had trouble with experienced, mobile QBs which it appears the Aggies QB is not. This should be a chance to get the running game rolling and put some confidence into the team.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                  Massey is predicting an SDSU win over UC Davis, 31-14 with 89% probability. Considering what the Davis fans have posted in this thread, it might be right. The SDSU defense has had trouble with experienced, mobile QBs which it appears the Aggies QB is not. This should be a chance to get the running game rolling and put some confidence into the team.
                  But they have that mobile experienced QB in Rodrigues if he is recovered from his concussion. He did come in on the final drive against Sac State and look okay and he is certainly the more mobile of the two. If Hastings is the guy they go with then the Jacks win big.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

But they have that mobile experienced QB in Rodrigues if he is recovered from his concussion. He did come in on the final drive against Sac State and look okay and he is certainly the more mobile of the two. If Hastings is the guy they go with then the Jacks win big.
                    Rodrigues is certainly the better QB if he is able to play up to his potential. Early season Rodrigues was highly accurate, read through his progressions, and was able to take off when need be. He just wasn't the same guy when he came back from the concussion. I don't know if we brought him back too early or if he's just spooked now. That being said, I think you guys win regardless of who we put in at quarterback. We're still down our top 2 receivers and our offensive line is struggling.

Comment

Lots of memories about playing UC-Davis. The series record for the Jacks is 5 wins, 2 losses. I did a little research in the 2021 Media Guide (at gojacks.com). One game in particular stands out in my mind and that was the 2006 Hobo Day game.

Here's the series record (Stig's first year as head coach, 1997, was the first year we played UC-Davis)
                      1997 at Davis -- SDSU 12 UCD 2
                      1998 at home:-- UCD 30, SDSU 13
                      2004 at Davis -- UCD 54, SDSU 0
                      2005 in Sioux Falls, SDSU 14, UCD 10
                      2006 at home -- SDSU 22, UCD 21
                      2007 at Davis -- SDSU 28, UCD 21
                      2012 at home -- SDSU 12, UCD 8

I'm quite sure I was at each of the games in Brookings...was not at the 2005 game in Sioux Falls.

Favorite game of the series: Hobo Day, 2006. At the half, UCD was up 21-7. The Jacks clawed their way back, first with a Parker Douglass field goal in the third quarter, and then with two TDs in the fourth. The winning TD came at 1:09 left in the game on a nine-yard pass from Andy Kardoes to Dusty Snyders. SDSU then tried for the two-point conversion (Kardoes pass) which failed. But that was good enough for the win: SDSU 22, UCD 21.

The 2006 Hobo Day game attendance was one of the larger crowds in old Coughlin Alumni Stadium history: 15,248. About 150 UCD fans made it to the game.

BUT, the best memory of the 2006 Hobo Day game was the pre-game appearance of Whiplash, the Monkey Cowboy riding an Australian Shepherd (frisbee catcher). Whiplash was well-known for Taco Johns TV ads. There was a rodeo of some sort in the Swiftel Center that morning and State's athletic administration heard Whiplash was making an appearance at the rodeo and may have the afternoon free. It reminded me of minor-league baseball stunts: I was sitting at about the 50 yard line on the east side, the UCD bench directly in front of me. The players from both teams were on their respective sidelines waiting for the coin toss to be announced. The public address guy got the crowd's attention with the introduction of a "special guest" and that damn little monkey came screaming to the field and did a big figure-eight at about 80 miles an hour. I thought the monkey was hanging on for dear life and I couldn't tell if that was a huge grin or a terrified grimmace on his face. He had to have been strapped in somehow. After a few circles the handler gave a signal and the dog did a bee-line to about the south 30 yard line where he sat down and Whiplash the Monkey extended his hand and shook the handler's hand. The crowd roared. The UCD players in front of me thought it was a real hoot. I'm pretty sure there were no Taco Johns franchises in California so the UCD players may not have had any familiarity with the Monkey Cowboy.

For anyone without knowledge of Whiplash, go to Youtube and type in his name.
                      Last edited by JackJD; 11-23-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Whiplash>Fatone pillow fight

Comment

When I still lived in Northern Cal., I went to our first FCS football game which was held at UC Davis. It was about 102 degrees at game time. Our QB was throwing up on the sidelines and I don't think he started the game. He did play, but not the whole game. It was miserable. We left early as we lost 52-0.

We went back in 2007 and we won that game. Completely different experience than 2004. UC Davis had a new stadium and the weather was great.

I just wish it was a little colder on Saturday as payback for that 102 degree day.

Go Jacks
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Posts 3, 4 and 5 in this thread point out a headline error in the Monday Argus Leader. A story about USD's selection to the FCS playoffs had the headline "Jackrabbits qualify for first time since 2017".

Today's (Tuesday) Watertown Public Opinion (the PO is now owned by the same corporation that owns the Argus and the Aberdeen American News) has the same story and same error. The story at the top of today's WPO sports section is headlined "Jackrabbits qualify for FCS playoffs" but it's the Michael McCleary story from the Argus about USD qualifying. The next story down (at least the headline used a much larger font and was just above the fold) had the following headline "SDSU to host UC-Davis" followd by Matt Zimmer's story, same as the Monday Argus.

I received in today's mail my subscription renewal reminder for the WPO. Have to think about that....

Gannett merged into GateHouse. The Gannette/GateHouse papers have their pages laid out (placement of news stories and ads) somewhere in Texas andt he pages are then electronically transmitted to the Argus Leader to be printed. The Aberdeen, Sioux Falls and Watertown papers are all printed in Sioux Falls. It was recently announced that in the near future the printing of those three papers will shift to a printing plant in Des Moines and the papers will be trucked up to South Dakota and handed off to the post office for delivery. Pretty sad. Guys like Matt Zimmer are producing good content only to have it messed up by someone out of State who doesn't know a Jackrabbit from a Coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Lots of memories about playing UC-Davis. The series record for the Jacks is 5 wins, 2 losses. I did a little research in the 2021 Media Guide (at gojacks.com). One game in particular stands out in my mind and that was the 2006 Hobo Day game.

Here's the series record (Stig's first year as head coach, 1997, was the first year we played UC-Davis)
                              1997 at Davis -- SDSU 12 UCD 2
                              1998 at home:-- UCD 30, SDSU 13
                              2004 at Davis -- UCD 54, SDSU 0
                              2005 in Sioux Falls, SDSU 14, UCD 10
                              2006 at home -- SDSU 22, UCD 21
                              2007 at Davis -- SDSU 28, UCD 21
                              2012 at home -- SDSU 12, UCD 8

I'm quite sure I was at each of the games in Brookings...was not at the 2005 game in Sioux Falls.

Favorite game of the series: Hobo Day, 2006. At the half, UCD was up 21-7. The Jacks clawed their way back, first with a Parker Douglass field goal in the third quarter, and then with two TDs in the fourth. The winning TD came at 1:09 left in the game on a nine-yard pass from Andy Kardoes to Dusty Snyders. SDSU then tried for the two-point conversion (Kardoes pass) which failed. But that was good enough for the win: SDSU 22, UCD 21.

The 2006 Hobo Day game attendance was one of the larger crowds in old Coughlin Alumni Stadium history: 15,248. About 150 UCD fans made it to the game.

BUT, the best memory of the 2006 Hobo Day game was the pre-game appearance of Whiplash, the Monkey Cowboy riding an Australian Shepherd (frisbee catcher). Whiplash was well-known for Taco Johns TV ads. There was a rodeo of some sort in the Swiftel Center that morning and State's athletic administration heard Whiplash was making an appearance at the rodeo and may have the afternoon free. It reminded me of minor-league baseball stunts: I was sitting at about the 50 yard line on the east side, the UCD bench directly in front of me. The players from both teams were on their respective sidelines waiting for the coin toss to be announced. The public address guy got the crowd's attention with the introduction of a "special guest" and that damn little monkey came screaming to the field and did a big figure-eight at about 80 miles an hour. I thought the monkey was hanging on for dear life and I couldn't tell if that was a huge grin or a terrified grimmace on his face. He had to have been strapped in somehow. After a few circles the handler gave a signal and the dog did a bee-line to about the south 30 yard line where he sat down and Whiplash the Monkey extended his hand and shook the handler's hand. The crowd roared. The UCD players in front of me thought it was a real hoot. I'm pretty sure there were no Taco Johns franchises in California so the UCD players may not have had any familiarity with the Monkey Cowboy.

For anyone without knowledge of Whiplash, go to Youtube and type in his name.
                              Great stuff, JackJD. I was actually just reminiscing about the'06 game, too. That was an awesome day, in Dakotaland. I was in the Pride of the Dakotas then, and those were magical times. I just bought my ticket, and I'm headed up from Texas, after Turkey day dinner with a South Dakota Vietnam vet, on the Fort Hood military base. I'll be driving past Frisco, so I'll pave the way back, to the promised land. I went to the CSU game in Colorado with my usual road crew, and we're ready to don the striped bibs, let the adult beverages flow, and see Davis run past the Davis Aggies. GO RABBITS.
                              "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

Great work, wr54.

The 2006 season is also remembered for the season opening loss (17-3) to the DIII opponent whose name is usually not used on this board!

Comment

Working...
                                X