Lindenwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood

Should be a win, hopefully we don't play down to their level or come out thinking it'll be easy. To play at the D2 level, you are still a heck of a football player and most of SD knows that their coaches are very quality from their USF days and will have a good game plan in place. Let them hang around and gain some confidence and anything can happen. I'm not expecting an Arkansas-Pine Bluff type victory like a few years ago. Hopefully it can stay entertaining, starters can get some quality time together for 1-2 quarters and stay injury free, 2's can get good game reps for 2-3 quarters, and 3's can get their first ever live experience for a quarter or so.

Looking forward to a home game, hopefully nice weather and fun tailgating.

I don't know anything special on them, other than whats in this article.
    https://jackrabbitillustrated.com/20...indenwood.html

Also don’t want to overlook these guys. I think D2s are about on par with most of the Pioneer teams (and good D2s far exceed the Pioneer), so it won’t be a cakewalk. I’m hopeful we can play with intensity, get up big early, and get Keaton and our 2s on the O line a lot of reps. Hopefully no injuries too. Hope the crowd is a good one.

Comment

Let's just not get anyone hurt.

Comment

Why does Lindenwood sound familiar? Have they been in the news or have we played them in another sport recently?
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
          Why does Lindenwood sound familiar? Have they been in the news or have we played them in another sport recently?
          There is a poster (can't recall the name) on here that posts about going to their events frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            Perhaps you might be remembering when Katie Falco took over as their head women’s coach? She was SDSU assistant for 10 years I believe. Didn’t mean to thread drift.

Comment

I get to a couple of Lindenwood football and almost every home men's and women's basketball games during the season. Jed Stugart, as an ex-country music singer is an affable guy. When he came to Lindenwood he thought he'd have a easier time with it. Lindenwood is the only football program in a metro area of almost three million. That's a big difference from having ten programs in a state of a bit over 800,000. However, he forgot that it's almost impossible to get any news coverage unless someone would get shot at a game. I'm sure his Sioux Falls teams got covered a lot more. Both the offensive and defensive coordinators also moved over from the Cougars. Lindenwood and USF both made the move to D2 at the same time. Lindenwood faltered in transition to D2. Former head coach Patrick Ross seemed to have trouble picking up decent sized linemen. Lindenwood historically wasn't very good academically and that might have added to their trouble in getting out of the more forgiving NAIA. When Stugart came over, it was widely believed that Lindenwood would go through D2 in a decade or so, probably winding up in the Ohio Valley. Fewer foreign students and problems at the presidency level may have trimmed those hopes.

Two years ago, Lindenwood moved from the MIAA to the GLVC. They're comparable in basketball but much weaker in football. Lindenwood won the league in 2019, then got the hell beat out of them in the playoffs by Northwest Missouri. I'm of the opinion that some of those Northwest teams would be the equal of the best North Dakota State teams in their D2 days and would finish in the top half of the MVFC. Despite being ranked 21st. in D2 preseason, I think they would have trouble if they hadn't switched leagues. Lindenwood did beat Northern Colorado during the Ross years, about the same time as Stugart took out North Dakota at the Coo. They also put some points up on Eastern Washington during the Stugart years. They have an excellent quarterback in Cade Brister who would have come in handy for the Jacks during the spring, but I notice that Angelo State got to him a lot, last week. I suspect Brister might put up some points, but the Jacks will put up a lot more. Maybe something like 66-21, with plenty of opportunities to let some of the second and third stringers play.

Stugart wants to recruit a lot more in the immediate St. Louis area and runs a successful camp that SDSU coaches attend. I ran into ex-SDSU coach Eric Eidsness chatting with Jed during a recent basketball game, relating experiences at the Coo. I suspect these are two coaching staffs that know each other well.

Comment

It's also interesting that it's been historically difficult to figure out the actual enrollment size of Lindenwood, become former president Dennis Spellman had a unique way of counting, anyone setting foot on campus for any kind of workshop was picked up and he used to brag about having twelve thousand students, best guess is a bit over eight thousand. Like Augustana they're moving to D1 hockey and this might be a foot in the door for a transition plan. Spellman did give them a beautiful campus and both their football and basketball facilities are very nice.

Comment

Would that have been Kalen DeBoer's team (not Stugarts) from the Coo that beat North Dakota?

Comment

Originally posted by BKXD View Post
                    Would that have been Kalen DeBoer's team (not Stugarts) from the Coo that beat North Dakota?
                    You're right. The Coo won in '09. Stugart came in '10. UND beat the Coo by two points in '11.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Sep8BMSpU

Preseason video stuff

Comment

Is there an official injury report on Landon Wolf? Sounds like season-ending is all but confirmed? (I am an Oklahoma State fan and was looking forward to watching him do big things with the Jackrabbits).

Comment

Originally posted by NewFan View Post
                          Is there an official injury report on Landon Wolf? Sounds like season-ending is all but confirmed? (I am an Oklahoma State fan and was looking forward to watching him do big things with the Jackrabbits).
                          No official report that I've seen, but unlike the NFL, colleges don't have to give one. Listening to Coach Stig and the players, I think it's safe to say it's season ending.

Feel bad for the kid. I was looking forward to seeing him play as well.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by NewFan View Post
                            Stig said on his coaches' radio show on Monday that it was "probably season-ending."
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Stig said on his coaches' radio show on Monday that it was "probably season-ending."
                              If that's the case, he would likely be able to get an injury waiver to get another year of eligibility. Being a grad transfer, it will be interesting to see if he would be interested in that.

Comment

Working...
                              X