Big 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 12

with the news of Texas and Oklahoma likely going to the SEC today, I can only imagine how many Bison fans are pushing their athletic department for them to become a Big 12 member for football.
    I do think they will eventually go FBS in football, and they will become irrelevant like Wyoming, App State, Georgia Southern, Western Kentucky, Idaho. I also don't think it will be in the Big 12.
    I don't think we have any interest in moving up anytime soon.

Word is bubbling around out there that Kansas and maybe Iowa State are trying to talk to the Big 10. I'm not sure if there will be a Big 12 very much longer.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

And West Virginia makes more sense in the ACC.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Word is bubbling around out there that Kansas and maybe Iowa State are trying to talk to the Big 10. I'm not sure if there will be a Big 12 very much longer.
        16 teams is too many. Bring them in and swap out Rutgers and Maryland, who never made sense to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

16 teams is too many. Bring them in and swap out Rutgers and Maryland, who never made sense to begin with.
          When your league is run by revenue from getting the Big Ten Network into as many markets as possible, those 2 make sense. If they Big Ten were to try to get to 16 teams, I would guess they go for Kansas (basketball prestige and Kansas City/Kansas TV market), Colorado (Denver Market), Baylor (Texas market), or USC/UCLA/Stanford (LA market) or they really blow up the conferences and have a 20+team conference that basically takes the better Pac 12 and Big 12 teams.

Comment

I suspect the Big 12 will end up like the the WAC, evacuated and refilled by FCS schools hoping to jump up to FBS. I don't think a good landing spot for anyone. Anyone hoping NDSU, or SDSU for that matter, will get an invite to and FBS conference is reaching very far. FBS is driven by TV revenue and neither school is in a market of any value.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
              FBS is driven by TV revenue and neither school is in a market of any value.
              With the last shuffling, that was true. This time, I think it is going to end up more as a numbers race. Outside of UTA and OU, there are no big audiences to pull in. So in the case of B1G, they either have to poach from SEC/ACC or take KU/KSU and ISU. The problem is that UI already owns/covers the ISU audience.

To me, it looks like it comes down to making it to 16/18/20. If that is the case, then it will become more about regions again (hopefully) with viewership being second in line.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                I suspect the Big 12 will end up like the the WAC, evacuated and refilled by FCS schools hoping to jump up to FBS. I don't think a good landing spot for anyone. Anyone hoping NDSU, or SDSU for that matter, will get an invite to and FBS conference is reaching very far. FBS is driven by TV revenue and neither school is in a market of any value.
                just an FYI in 2021 Fargo is the #114 market, in comparison Eugene OR is #113 and Lansing MI is #115, for an FBS conference in need of a team and one that is committed to sports NDSU absolutely fits the bill, in a city with an Airport, plenty of hotels, THE team in the state and a large portion of MN. if you added in all of ND it moves them to a top 100 market, just basing off the Nielsen https://mediatracks.com/resources/ni...rankings-2021/

FARGO - 262,440 households
                Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson-Williston - 171,030

Combine them and they would be - 433,470 which would put it at #74

people are over blowing the TV market thing now, its all about who is viable for survival of the conference, will the call happen?? no clue, but Ill bet this has been discussed way more behind closed doors than anyone on message boards knows, when the dust settles you never know who might end up where..FCS may very well gain teams also its all a crap shoot

lots of stuff needs to happen but its fun listening to all the speculation and now the ESPN behind the scenes deal that the B12 is accusing the OCHO of...good stuff

BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Didn't know until today that Oklahoma and Texas stay in the Big 12 four more years. They don't join the SEC until the 25/26 seasons. Has to result in some awkward lame duck moments during the next few years.

Comment

Didn't know until today that Oklahoma and Texas stay in the Big 12 four more years. They don't join the SEC until the 25/26 seasons. Has to result in some awkward lame duck moments during the next few years.
                    That's still an unknown, and Texas A&M's initial reticence over Texas joining SEC might've been one reason an earlier timeframe wasn't discussed more overtly.

Both Sooners and 'Horns have regental meetings scheduled for today, which could illuminate potential expedited affiliation switches.

As for FCS implications, if the Bison, JMU, or JSU want to move up, let them. The Jacks can still play them, win, AND have the benefit of a payout moving forward

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

That's still an unknown, and Texas A&M's initial reticence over Texas joining SEC might've been one reason an earlier timeframe wasn't discussed more overtly.

Both Sooners and 'Horns have regental meetings scheduled for today, which could illuminate potential expedited affiliation switches.

As for FCS implications, if the Bison, JMU, or JSU want to move up, let them. The Jacks can still play them, win, AND have the benefit of a payout moving forward
                      I'm pretty sure it was an SEC release that said that.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was an SEC release that said that.
                        It's relatively common for the adopting conference to make announcements that don't undercut existing conference contracts and spur litigation/make the environment more contentious than it already is.

The addition of Colorado to Pac-12 and Mizzou to SEC are examples, and it's not that surprising they do so, given exit agreements still being drafted, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X