Semi Finals vs Delaware 5/8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi Finals vs Delaware 5/8

Bring on the Blue Hens. Hearing that the game will be at 11 AM on ESPN. UD has been good all year and is a pretty balanced team. Might be the best defense we see all season. Run a pro style offense with a mobile QB who can throw on the run. Will be a huge test.

Im hoping we just got our turn game out of the way and we are focused and ready for a very difficult opponent. Semi finals in Brookings with a chance at frisco. Couldn’t ask for more.

These two teams are very evenly matched. Both teams have a top 10 Defense, top 30 offense (ranked 29 and 30 I believe), are stout against the run, run for similar yards per attempt, throw the ball less than 200 yards per game on average, control the clock, have mobile qbs, etc. Very, very similar teams. UD does tend to throw it a little more, averaging 180 through the air per game. They tend to use a lot of bootleg roll outs and get their mobile web in space and let him throw. He did suffer a shoulder injury to his non throwing arm yesterday, but played through it.

Our D has been very good all year, but they couldn’t get off the field last night. Play like that against a Blue Hens offense that likes to posses the ball and throw intermediate routes and we’re in trouble. I think last night showed that for our offense to be in sync, we need our d to stand firm and get off the field. We need possessions and the ability to not chase points to control the pace of the game.

I think UD will be the best team we’ve played all year. But I really think this final 4 is entirely open and anything could happen. A three score victory or loss would not shock me. I think the game will be within 12 points one way or the other though, and after hopefully getting our turd out of the way last night, I think the Jacks can take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      These two teams are very evenly matched. Both teams have a top 10 Defense, top 30 offense (ranked 29 and 30 I believe), are stout against the run, run for similar yards per attempt, throw the ball less than 200 yards per game on average, control the clock, have mobile qbs, etc. Very, very similar teams. UD does tend to throw it a little more, averaging 180 through the air per game. They tend to use a lot of bootleg roll outs and get their mobile web in space and let him throw. He did suffer a shoulder injury to his non throwing arm yesterday, but played through it.

Our D has been very good all year, but they couldn’t get off the field last night. Play like that against a Blue Hens offense that likes to posses the ball and throw intermediate routes and we’re in trouble. I think last night showed that for our offense to be in sync, we need our d to stand firm and get off the field. We need possessions and the ability to not chase points to control the pace of the game.

I think UD will be the best team we’ve played all year. But I really think this final 4 is entirely open and anything could happen. A three score victory or loss would not shock me. I think the game will be within 12 points one way or the other though, and after hopefully getting our turd out of the way last night, I think the Jacks can take it.
      Curious to see how representative the difference in strength of schedule between Jacks and Hens turns out to be.

I'm hoping this game isn't close like the one against 'Nova in 2016

Comment

It’s hard to say. I don’t think the CAA north is a meat grinder, but it was probably one of the better divisions this spring. Obviously UD laid a clunker against Sacred Heart, so they haven’t been winning every game going away.

I don’t know how much the “eye test” matters, but they pass it. They look fast and very physical. I’ve been trying to figure out the team in the Valley they closest resemble, and I’m not sure I have a comparison. To me they seem to play like a bigger/more physical UND. Good running game, but can throw it down the field. Fast, opportunistic defense. Oh, and they play a weird 3-3-5 stack on defense. To my knowledge, the only other team in the valley tailgate flirts with that set was YSU. O line and Gronowski will have a challenge picking up schemes in the front 7.

Comment

Being at home is a big advantage this week. Delaware had to fly to JSU and likely got back to campus pretty late, also have one less day to prepare this week.

Our game was physical, but so was Delaware's and their QB will be limited running the ball as his shoulder was pretty banged up. Jacks will need to generate a lot more pressure this week, Delaware's O line is likely better than SIU.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            It’s hard to say. I don’t think the CAA north is a meat grinder, but it was probably one of the better divisions this spring. Obviously UD laid a clunker against Sacred Heart, so they haven’t been winning every game going away.

I don’t know how much the “eye test” matters, but they pass it. They look fast and very physical. I’ve been trying to figure out the team in the Valley they closest resemble, and I’m not sure I have a comparison. To me they seem to play like a bigger/more physical UND. Good running game, but can throw it down the field. Fast, opportunistic defense. Oh, and they play a weird 3-3-5 stack on defense. To my knowledge, the only other team in the valley tailgate flirts with that set was YSU. O line and Gronowski will have a challenge picking up schemes in the front 7.
            Holy Cross ran similar unique defensive alignments, at least at times, so while it could definitely stifle passing, it could also make Hens susceptible to being gashed by run

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
              Being at home is a big advantage this week. Delaware had to fly to JSU and likely got back to campus pretty late, also have one less day to prepare this week.

Our game was physical, but so was Delaware's and their QB will be limited running the ball as his shoulder was pretty banged up. Jacks will need to generate a lot more pressure this week, Delaware's O line is likely better than SIU.
              Delaware's given up their share of sacks, so I'm feeling Ogunrinde, Ward, and Krolikowski getting back on track

Comment

There will be a lot of people on campus for graduation ceremonies being held both before and after the game. Hopefully some of them take advantage of the opportunity to attend the game. The weather doesn't sound great for Saturday, but an extra 1000 in walk-up sales would be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  There will be a lot of people on campus for graduation ceremonies being held both before and after the game. Hopefully some of them take advantage of the opportunity to attend the game. The weather doesn't sound great for Saturday, but an extra 1000 in walk-up sales would be huge.
                  I don't think there will be walk-up ticket sales. All tickets have to be purchased in advance through the ticket office (call in or go online). I purchased tickets today and that's what the website states.

Comment

Soooo. I finished grad school this weekend so wasnt able to make the 8pm game. So I am excited I can make the game this weekend. Assumed it would be an evening game again or sunday again. But no, I work saturday 9-5. I tried to switch this weekend a couple weeks ago and unable too. Guess it isnt meant to be. Radio it is for me.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Soooo. I finished grad school this weekend so wasnt able to make the 8pm game. So I am excited I can make the game this weekend. Assumed it would be an evening game again or sunday again. But no, I work saturday 9-5. I tried to switch this weekend a couple weeks ago and unable too. Guess it isnt meant to be. Radio it is for me.
                      Sorry you won't be able to be there in person, but the ESPN app should allow you to stream it

Comment

Finals. MAY 7, 2021

DELAWARE @ SDSU.

oddsmakers have SDSU -7 O/U 37.5 https://www.bookmaker.eu/live-lines/football/ncaa(f)fcs

TAKE: Delaware and points. Mythical score SDSU 24 DELAWARE 22. Take over. SDSU will have difficulty covering

MONEY LINE: SDSU

JMU @ SHSU.

oddsmakers have JMU -1. O/U 48 https://www.bookmaker.eu/live-lines/football/ncaa(f)fcs

TAKE: SHSU and the point. Mythical score SHSU 26 JMU 25. Take over

MONEY LINE: SHSU

Comment

The two things that concern me this game is their defense and their qb rolling out of the pocket. Their d is going to be similar to UNI or UND in the sense that it is very “schemey” and will disguise and cause confusion in both run blocking, pass pro, and coverage.

UD hasn’t been running the ball well as of late, and I always feel good about our run d, but their intermediate passing game concerns me.

I think this might be a game where we will have to use mark in the run game just to get numbers in the box. Additionally, I’d look for more involvement from the tight ends in the pass game. This will be a challenge.

Comment

Turnovers and special teams will be big again as always in playoff football.

Like Tibbs said, need to get the tight ends more involved in pass game. Where is the tight end screen to Goedert that worked so well in the past. Kraft could run that play very well.

Also need to be physical early, their QB and RB are banged up. Henderson won't be running much if gets smacked in the shoulder a few times. It's big boy football time, hit hard and clean on both sides of the ball.

Comment

I hope the Delaware football team is as overconfident as a few of their fans seem to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X