Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: Southern Illinois (NCAA FCS Playoffs - Quarterfinals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yes the announcer definitely thought that it was targeting, even seemed sincerely disappointed not to have Bock thrown out of the game. OF COURSE this is the same announcer who earlier in the game after a big catch by one of the jacks TE proclaimed that the TE is such an open and easy target for the jacks because the jankes demand so much attention. i am perfectly fine with the idea that the jankes get significant attention from opposing D in passing situations. on the play in question, however, the jankes were not even on the field

now i am not saying that he is a bad person or needs bunches of disdain or disapproval !!! i can imagine that announcing a game that you are watching on a screen is far FAR from ideal !!! i would simply suggest that you do not make comments about things that you are not really sure happened. simply keep your commentary to the things that you actually see or actually KNOW, otherwise it kind of seems like you are just talking because that is what you feel like you are supposed to do, even if you do not know what you are talking about.

Comment

• Regarding the targeting, I love how the officials expect a 6'1" guy to somehow tackle an ellusive 5'11" guy, but not hit him in the head. Oh, but also don't drop your head while you are attempting to hit him lower. And I guess, don't hit him in the chest or legs either? The simple fact was the QB stood in to make a throw with a defensive player bearing down on him at full speed. Maybe at some point players safety needs to be in their own hands and maybe the QB should give himself up in this position? A WR coming over the middle and getting wiped out by a guy he doesn't see is one thing, but Stone definitely saw the player coming right at him. Maybe the "player safety" rule is that if you stand in there and try and make the throw, may God be with you... Why are the offensive players not at all responsible for their own safety?

Ok, maybe that turned into a rant... lol

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
        Regarding the targeting, I love how the officials expect a 6'1" guy to somehow tackle an ellusive 5'11" guy, but not hit him in the head. Oh, but also don't drop your head while you are attempting to hit him lower. And I guess, don't hit him in the chest or legs either? The simple fact was the QB stood in to make a throw with a defensive player bearing down on him at full speed. Maybe at some point players safety needs to be in their own hands and maybe the QB should give himself up in this position? A WR coming over the middle and getting wiped out by a guy he doesn't see is one thing, but Stone definitely saw the player coming right at him. Maybe the "player safety" rule is that if you stand in there and try and make the throw, may God be with you... Why are the offensive players not at all responsible for their own safety?

They should call it "inadvertant targeting" and reduce the yardage -5, targeting using the shooting terminology suggests a concerted effort to "target" a particular area, namely the head. Most "targeting calls tthe tackler had no intentions of intentionally hitting in the head, but it unfortunately happened. I agree , for safety sake, it shouldn't be allowed, intentionally or accidently, but I think it should be considered, much like technical fouls in basketball, that intent to hurt be applied as a more penalized degree as opposed to inadvertently hitting someone close to the head by all appearances. That'd require a rule change and much closer observation by the refs, probably will never happen. The penalty will always be hit or miss at times , subject to the refs view of the infraction. Football is so fast moving and views are partially obstructed due to 22 players constantly moving about. There are tough calls in football, not an enviable task to strive for 100% accuracy, but they all strive to do that as best they can I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
          Regarding the targeting, I love how the officials expect a 6'1" guy to somehow tackle an ellusive 5'11" guy, but not hit him in the head. Oh, but also don't drop your head while you are attempting to hit him lower. And I guess, don't hit him in the chest or legs either? The simple fact was the QB stood in to make a throw with a defensive player bearing down on him at full speed. Maybe at some point players safety needs to be in their own hands and maybe the QB should give himself up in this position? A WR coming over the middle and getting wiped out by a guy he doesn't see is one thing, but Stone definitely saw the player coming right at him. Maybe the "player safety" rule is that if you stand in there and try and make the throw, may God be with you... Why are the offensive players not at all responsible for their own safety?

Was a pass play the one the announcer was questioning?

I know that the SIU crowd was more vocal with a scramble play where Labanowitz ran down the middle of the field, slid, and was tackled by two Jacks, one of whom made contact with Stone's helmet.

I recall that play being reviewed and deemed not targeting (which surprised me, not because I wanted the Jacks to be flagged; rather, multiple calls weren't going in the Jacks' favor at that point, and I thought the trend may continue)

Comment

• Finally had a chance to rewatch the game and I am Defiantly am impressed with Stone and his WRs. "Most" of his good throw he was able to put the ball in very tight windows and places only his WRs could get them. Lenoir caught a few balls that he just flat out jumped Malik and Dyshawn, our shorter CBs. Their was also a couple that Logan practically had a finger on.
            I think its just a tip the hat to SIU for and excellent game plan. One thing that still sunrises me was their commitment to the run, we still held them to 3 yards a carry and most of those came on scrables from Stone. So after watching the game I think our D didn't play that bad just that SIU was able to exploit our scheme.
            Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

• Here's is the commercial free replay of the game...

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                Here's is the commercial free replay of the game...

That sign really came back to bite the Saluki fans in the butt
                Rollin' in my 5.0
                With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

That sign really came back to bite the Saluki fans in the butt
                  That crew of Salukis wasn't far from where we were on east side. It's going to be interesting having first "west side" experience at DJD on Sat. Haven't sat there since CAS Era. Regardless, it'll be great being surrounded by the "good" yellow & blue to hopefully witness Hens "laying an egg"

Comment

Working...
                  X