How the other half (of the bracket) lives: 2021 Spring Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the other half (of the bracket) lives: 2021 Spring Playoffs

Thought I’d start this thread to keep updates about other games in the field in one spot. Not a ton of intriguing playoff matchups for the first round in our half of the field, with the exception of Weber and SIU, which might be the best first round game.

The bottom half should have two or three better games, and I would expect an upset or two there. For what it’s worth, despite all the talk of our bracket being a cakewalk, I fell like the best teams in the field are SDSU, Delaware, and SHSU. The bottom half ended up with more of the teams in the middle seed ranges, making those games more competitive on paper. But I won’t be shocked if JMU or NDSU bow out before the semis, or even the before the quarters. I feel like SHSU will either live up to their hype all year and be a formidable team, or an unseeded team is going to make it to the final out of that bracket. JMU, though playing better, still hasn’t impressed me. I don’t think Richmond is all that great, and that’s their signature win. Their other close wins were over terrible teams, and a blowout of W&M. I think they fizzle out before the semis.

Ive watched Delaware a few times this year and they are very balanced and built similar to SDSU. Tough D, big O line, and a mobile QB. In my opinion, they are a legit title contender and will cruise by JSU. Though the early rounds of our bracket might be a little easier, Delaware in the semis could be a rock fight. Not to overlook HC or Weber/SIU, but I wanted to counter some of the talk that our bracket is just laid out for us to waltz into Frisco. It isn’t. We are playing two of the best defensive teams in the nation (three of you include HC) and they will be challenging games.

In the bottom half, I could see NDSU making a run, but I personally think it will be the winner of an EWU/SHSU quarterfinal that makes it out of that bracket. It might be more of a meat grinder in early rounds, but I predict that the closer semi final game will come from our side.

Thoughts and discussion on the bracket?

****Edit: Didn’t see the thread about six slots down for 2021 playoffs. Mods, feel free to merge my post into the existing thread. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 04-22-2021, 10:27 AM.

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Thought I’d start this thread to keep updates about other games in the field in one spot. Not a ton of intriguing playoff matchups for the first round in our half of the field, with the exception of Weber and SIU, which might be the best first round game.

The bottom half should have two or three better games, and I would expect an upset or two there. For what it’s worth, despite all the talk of our bracket being a cakewalk, I fell like the best teams in the field are SDSU, Delaware, and SHSU. The bottom half ended up with more of the teams in the middle seed ranges, making those games more competitive on paper. But I won’t be shocked if JMU or NDSU bow out before the semis, or even the before the quarters. I feel like SHSU will either live up to their hype all year and be a formidable team, or an unseeded team is going to make it to the final out of that bracket. JMU, though playing better, still hasn’t impressed me. I don’t think Richmond is all that great, and that’s their signature win. Their other close wins were over terrible teams, and a blowout of W&M. I think they fizzle out before the semis.

Ive watched Delaware a few times this year and they are very balanced and built similar to SDSU. Tough D, big O line, and a mobile QB. In my opinion, they are a legit title contender and will cruise by JSU. Though the early rounds of our bracket might be a little easier, Delaware in the semis could be a rock fight. Not to overlook HC or Weber/SIU, but I wanted to counter some of the talk that our bracket is just laid out for us to waltz into Frisco. It isn’t. We are playing two of the best defensive teams in the nation (three of you include HC) and they will be challenging games.

In the bottom half, I could see NDSU making a run, but I personally think it will be the winner of an EWU/SHSU quarterfinal that makes it out of that bracket. It might be more of a meat grinder in early rounds, but I predict that the closer semi final game will come from our side.

Thoughts and discussion on the bracket?

****Edit: Didn’t see the thread about six slots down for 2021 playoffs. Mods, feel free to merge my post into the existing thread. Thanks!
    I'm interested in how the Zabel and Graham injuries will impact the outcome of the EWU-NDSU game.

It's difficult for me to judge the strength of other teams (and the validity of statistical rankings) given the pandemic disruptions/impacts, so I'm hoping the first round helps us truly separate the wheat from the chaff.

I'd prefer a Weber State-Jacks game next weekend so Jacks can even that series, and I'm tired of hearing about the Salukis
    Last edited by jakejc795; 04-22-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

i guess i would like to see SIU win that game, as it would indicate the strength of the conference and tone down any thinking about the conference maybe not deserving so many bids. if it is, however, weber, it will be a good opportunity for us to get a win against one of the other highest level, most respected fcs programs

either way it goes it is one of the results i am most anxious to see

Comment

I really want to play Weber, just for the sake of the entertainment. New team, strong program, pretty good following in Utah. Although they might be the tougher matchup, it offers a lot more from an interest perspective than SIU. Just like I didn’t enjoy playing UNI in the playoffs in 17 and 19, I don’t really want a rematch with SIU. We embarrassed them a month ago, and there isn’t anywhere but “up” for them to go in a potential rematch. They’ll be motivated and we played a near perfect game. I would expect us to win a rematch with them, but I don’t see it being another 40 point win.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
          i guess i would like to see SIU win that game, as it would indicate the strength of the conference and tone down any thinking about the conference maybe not deserving so many bids. if it is, however, weber, it will be a good opportunity for us to get a win against one of the other highest level, most respected fcs programs

either way it goes it is one of the results i am most anxious to see
          The Salukis are "dead to me" until Hill and/or Jarnigan leave.

The only strength of the conference I care about at this point is the Jacks'

We can worry about the Valley's reputation next fall.

Comment

I really want to play Weber, just for the sake of the entertainment. New team, strong program, pretty good following in Utah. Although they might be the tougher matchup, it offers a lot more from an interest perspective than SIU. Just like I didn’t enjoy playing UNI in the playoffs in 17 and 19, I don’t really want a rematch with SIU. We embarrassed them a month ago, and there isn’t anywhere but “up” for them to go in a potential rematch. They’ll be motivated and we played a near perfect game. I would expect us to win a rematch with them, but I don’t see it being another 40 point win.
            It'll be interesting to see what impact, if any, SIU's QB depth has on this weekend's game, and any others, should they advance.

Comment

idk if this gets into something that somebody will not want to get into?? but WHY are the salukis dead to you??

of course even if they lose, the conference can and will be just fine. my guess is we have at least 2 of the final 8 and a good chance for 3. if we make up half of the final 8 it is going to be pretty tough for anyone not to admit who the by far best conference is

Comment

idk if this gets into something that somebody will not want to get into?? but WHY are the salukis dead to you??

of course even if they lose, the conference can and will be just fine. my guess is we have at least 2 of the final 8 and a good chance for 3. if we make up half of the final 8 it is going to be pretty tough for anyone not to admit who the by far best conference is
                Based on what other Valley coaches have said, Hill misrepresented the "agreement" teams had at outset of Spring season. Spack, Farley, and Nielson have all gone on record to say that teams discussed that Spring season should not detrimentally impact Fall. Stig made similar statements immediately after Redbirds opted out.

Jarnigan echoed Hill's rants about teams "quitting," implied that the top Valley teams were complicit with quitting because they were happy that multiple teams would qualify for playoffs, and indicated that JMU refused overtures to play SIU when both had open dates, when other reports indicated that JMU's preference was to schedule a CAA opponent to improve chances of being CAA auto-qualifier.

Some could say Hill and Jarnigan were only doing this to appeal to selection committee, but like I've said before, if I'm another Valley coach or AD (or even an "outside" coach or AD discussing scheduling non-conference game), I'd have little to no trust in either person not to divulge confidential discussions or self-servingly skew media reports.

Thus, my Valley "most hateds" are three-way tie among Bison, 'Yotes, and Panthers followed closely by the mulleted mutts of Carbondale

Were you afraid I was going to mention the Saluki mascot's hair extensions and Juvederm jowl fillers a la the Holy Cross tangent?

Comment

i do not know what i thought, but yeah i guess i thought maybe something political. that said i have not been to HC site and have ZERO idea what was said there. i guess i agree with you it seems to not be the greatest exhibition of great character, but SIU has been down for a while and coaches do not get these jobs forever if they do not win.

that is not an excuse to take short cuts on character AT ALL!!!! as a coach i always tried to respond in the best most positive way to challenges and tried to teach my kids the same!!! and that is probably the biggest reason i love sdsu so much! i truly believe that our coaches have the same guiding values!!

that said if i am watching someone in SIU shoes i can cut them a little slack. privately, if i have a relationship with them at all i would probably say something about it, NOT PUBLICLY- but PRIVATELY. but coaching is a tough business and i can give others some grace if that gets to them sometimes, without condoning it.

my most hated in all of college sports is a 3 way tie between ooops USD and nobody else is close. there is not much that i appreciate or respect about anything having anything to do with usd, the town the school the admin the sport department, the coaches, i cheer for them to lose EVERY contest no matter who they play

as far as bison, i really really hate losing to them but i have a ton of respect for them. excellent school, athletic department, and many of the teams. the fans get a bit much a bit too often, but even some of them are pretty good people, unlike 99% of coyote fans- well most or at least many of them are probably good people too but completely idiotic and annoying when having anything even remotely to do with sports!!! ndsu has been a great partner for the jacks and i cannot imagine how hard the whole d1 thing would have been without them. much better rivals than usd and augie ever were

Comment

i do not know what i thought, but yeah i guess i thought maybe something political. that said i have not been to HC site and have ZERO idea what was said there. i guess i agree with you it seems to not be the greatest exhibition of great character, but SIU has been down for a while and coaches do not get these jobs forever if they do not win.

that is not an excuse to take short cuts on character AT ALL!!!! as a coach i always tried to respond in the best most positive way to challenges and tried to teach my kids the same!!! and that is probably the biggest reason i love sdsu so much! i truly believe that our coaches have the same guiding values!!

that said if i am watching someone in SIU shoes i can cut them a little slack. privately, if i have a relationship with them at all i would probably say something about it, NOT PUBLICLY- but PRIVATELY. but coaching is a tough business and i can give others some grace if that gets to them sometimes, without condoning it.

my most hated in all of college sports is a 3 way tie between ooops USD and nobody else is close. there is not much that i appreciate or respect about anything having anything to do with usd, the town the school the admin the sport department, the coaches, i cheer for them to lose EVERY contest no matter who they play

as far as bison, i really really hate losing to them but i have a ton of respect for them. excellent school, athletic department, and many of the teams. the fans get a bit much a bit too often, but even some of them are pretty good people, unlike 99% of coyote fans- well most or at least many of them are probably good people too but completely idiotic and annoying when having anything even remotely to do with sports!!! ndsu has been a great partner for the jacks and i cannot imagine how hard the whole d1 thing would have been without them. much better rivals than usd and augie ever were
                    I'll save politics for other blogs/fora.

For me, it's difficult to extend SIU grace if/when USD isn't afforded the same opportunity. I've never heard or read reports of Herbster uttering anything like what Jarding said.

I'll also confess to accepting USD and UNI wins IF it helps Jacks in the standings in any sport. I'll never root for the Bison

Comment

https://twitter.com/domizzowday/stat...007550480?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Monmouth SHSU scoreless early on espn 3. JMU and JSU play at 1 central

Comment

Monmouth SHSU scoreless early on espn 3. JMU and JSU play at 1 central
                          Cowbells heard in Huntsville, TX. (grumble, grumble)
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Cowbells heard in Huntsville, TX. (grumble, grumble)
                            Thought the same. At this point, everyone should just start sneaking them in. The NCAA clearly isn’t going to stop play to address cowbells on the scale we’re talking about.

Comment

Bearkat D line is significantly better than the Monmouth o line. Monmouth is moving the ball through the air, but I don’t think they can sustain this for much longer. Their d is holding their own against the vaunted Bearkat offense though.

Update: Monmouth throws a pick on 3rd and goal on an ill-advised pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X