@CSU Rams 9/4/2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    There is some concern on the CSU board (albeit unfounded) that the game could get cancelled. Not sure where that’s coming from as I haven’t heard anything about outdoor events from the state government. And even if we aren’t fully vaxed, enough of the team should be vaxed for it to not make a difference
    Part of it could be that CSU had one-third of the conference's Covid cancellations last year. In addition, I believe Larimer County & CSU, not solely "state gov't" would establish local protocols [and potentially cancel the game regardless of Jacks' vax rates (which I haven't read anything about for one month)]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      There is some concern on the CSU board (albeit unfounded) that the game could get cancelled. Not sure where that’s coming from as I haven’t heard anything about outdoor events from the state government. And even if we aren’t fully vaxed, enough of the team should be vaxed for it to not make a difference
      They very recently cancelled volleyball against the coyotes due to a vaccinated coyote player with a breakthrough case of COVID-19. They are likely aware that our state government does little, if anything, to stop the spread.
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post

They very recently cancelled volleyball against the coyotes due to a vaccinated coyote player with a breakthrough case of COVID-19. They are likely aware that our state government does little, if anything, to stop the spread.
        Just curious, where was it reported that it was a breakthrough infection?

Comment

From the most reliable source, of course, the internet. One of the fans on the coyotes board made that statement.
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Just curious, where was it reported that it was a breakthrough infection?
            Tweet from a Yote Fan.

Comment

Hopefully the Jacks are no longer one of the least-vaccinated teams in the Valley. With the team that causes a game to be canceled being tagged with a loss, it could take a team out of playoff contention in a hurry if a few positive tests occur.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Hopefully the Jacks are no longer one of the least-vaccinated teams in the Valley. With the team that causes a game to be canceled being tagged with a loss, it could take a team out of playoff contention in a hurry if a few positive tests occur.
                That's for conference games, but are we sure that's how non-conference, not to mention FBS-FCS contests, would be recorded?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Tweet from a Yote Fan.
                  It's an interesting assertion to make, as it simultaneously "confirms" player was vaccinated while undermining vaccine efficacy among certain segments of Twittersphere. In other words both the "'Yotes are responsible, upstanding athletes" and "anti-vaxxers" can get a "win"

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                    From the most reliable source, of course, the internet. One of the fans on the coyotes board made that statement.
                    The fan who also asserted the CSU AD threw the 'Yotes under the bus, I take it?

Comment

The young lady that tested positive was fully vaccinated. She’s now dealing with disappointment and I’m sure humiliation. She did all she could. These kids bust their butts to compete and entertain us. They deserve better than this.

on a personal note I don’t think the AD from CSU threw us under the bus. But he did say that due to complications within the USD roster they wouldn’t play. That’s true BUT he also could’ve said that the player also was fully vaxed and it was out of her control. Some people could possibly interpret his quote as saying USD was careless. That isn’t the quote.

If you test on Thursday and one or two of your players test + and through contact tracing you can’t field a competitive team, not only will your forfeit, but also lose the $$$ guaranty. Think of how that kid would feel?

This Covid thing stinks. We need to deal with it logically and not panic in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        The young lady that tested positive was fully vaccinated. She’s now dealing with disappointment and I’m sure humiliation. She did all she could. These kids bust their butts to compete and entertain us. They deserve better than this.

on a personal note I don’t think the AD from CSU threw us under the bus. But he did say that due to complications within the USD roster they wouldn’t play. That’s true BUT he also could’ve said that the player also was fully vaxed and it was out of her control. Some people could possibly interpret his quote as saying USD was careless. That isn’t the quote.

If you test on Thursday and one or two of your players test + and through contact tracing you can’t field a competitive team, not only will your forfeit, but also lose the $$$ guaranty. Think of how that kid would feel?

This Covid thing stinks. We need to deal with it logically and not panic in my opinion.
                        You and the 'Yote forum poster seem to conclude that said player is the only one impacted. You're certain further testing/tracing didn't impact other players'/coaches' availability?

If you're not, then that could be a reason CSU characterized it as they did. Another reason could be that USD didn't reveal the vaccination status of the player to CSU citing health privacy policies.

One way to reduce the humiliation you mentioned would be to pool the guaranteed money for games scheduled during the pandemic instead of paying it out; use a portion of the money for the host teams to pay for both teams' testing and visiting teams' travel; and allocate unused funds into interest-bearing accounts for future game guarantee payments. This could also address disparities in testing/tracing regimens among teams in different subdivisions.

Lastly, I'm familiar with FBS-FCS guarantee payments, but what, if anything, was the guarantee for USD VB?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

You and the 'Yote forum poster seem to conclude that said player is the only one impacted. You're certain further testing/tracing didn't impact other players'/coaches' availability?

If you're not, then that could be a reason CSU characterized it as they did. Another reason could be that USD didn't reveal the vaccination status of the player to CSU citing health privacy policies.

One way to reduce the humiliation you mentioned would be to pool the guaranteed money for games scheduled during the pandemic instead of paying it out; use a portion of the money for the host teams to pay for both teams' testing and visiting teams' travel; and allocate unused funds into interest-bearing accounts for future game guarantee payments. This could also address disparities in testing/tracing regimens among teams in different subdivisions.

Lastly, I'm familiar with FBS-FCS guarantee payments, but what, if anything, was the guarantee for USD VB?
                          To be honest I’m not sure if they then tested the other players and coaches or not. I do know for a fact that the CSU AD was told prior to his official statement that the young lady had been vaccinated. If you know how the guaranty part of Athletics goes then you’d know that guaranties don’t exist in any sports other than football and men’s and women’s basketball.

Your idea on how to use guaranty monies to pay for testing and travel would assume the host school would pay out that money without having the benefit of hosting the team that’s guaranteed to create ticketing revenue to offset or partially offset those funds. To schools like ours that need guaranty money to make the budget work your plan would be beneficial. Unfortunately the schools writing those checks don’t do it to be nice. They do it to generate ticket revenue and create fan excitement and interest.

One last thought is ncaa protocol regarding testing. If you’ve been vaccinated you don’t need to be tested. The player was tested because she showed some cold like symptoms. Maybe this experience will force the ncaa to go back to testing. It’s very possible an athlete could have Covid and be asymptomatic. Thenbwhat?

The humiliation I brought up I used the word potentially. I don’t know how she feels but I would assume she feels awful. For the record, I wouldn’t want one of your kids to experience this either.

Comment

I didn’t use word potentially as I reread my post. I was thinking of it when I did post.

Comment

Thanks for the comments yfe. Insightful as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

To be honest I’m not sure if they then tested the other players and coaches or not. I do know for a fact that the CSU AD was told prior to his official statement that the young lady had been vaccinated. If you know how the guaranty part of Athletics goes then you’d know that guaranties don’t exist in any sports other than football and men’s and women’s basketball.

Your idea on how to use guaranty monies to pay for testing and travel would assume the host school would pay out that money without having the benefit of hosting the team that’s guaranteed to create ticketing revenue to offset or partially offset those funds. To schools like ours that need guaranty money to make the budget work your plan would be beneficial. Unfortunately the schools writing those checks don’t do it to be nice. They do it to generate ticket revenue and create fan excitement and interest.

One last thought is ncaa protocol regarding testing. If you’ve been vaccinated you don’t need to be tested. The player was tested because she showed some cold like symptoms. Maybe this experience will force the ncaa to go back to testing. It’s very possible an athlete could have Covid and be asymptomatic. Thenbwhat?

The humiliation I brought up I used the word potentially. I don’t know how she feels but I would assume she feels awful. For the record, I wouldn’t want one of your kids to experience this either.
                                It's rather self-serving for your source not to reveal whether others were potentially impacted while revealing the "fact" that the CSU AD was notified the player was vaccinated [plus it fails to consider that she might not have been "fully vaccinated" if she hadn't had final dose or 14 days hadn't elapsed since her final dose (pg. 2)]. Moreover, you're completely incorrect about vaccinated players not being tested. If they develop symptoms OR contact tracing risk assessments deem it necessary, they're still subject to testing (pg. 4), so this was in accordance with NCAA policy, yet somehow you're characterizing it as an illogical and a panicked response while operating on your admittedly incomplete account of circumstances.

The "revenue and excitement" guarantee games generate has been stridently debated among upper division officials (one reason conferences discontinue them), so I'm not sure what your basis for that assertion is [those same "upper division" officials commonly indicate it helps them fill schedules, and the Jacks are experiencing this first hand with the upcoming Lindenwood game (or do you think Jacks fans are brimming with excitement and gobbling up those tickets?)], and thank you for making my point about USD not losing a guarantee for VB. I should have been more explicit; the mention of her being humiliated vis a vis a lost guarantee payment obviously doesn't apply, and if folks were that concerned with humiliation, they wouldn't traffic in rumors about a player's positive test and vaccination status.

Comment

Working...
                                X