Playoff Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

So how many playoff disruptions, which would inevitably prolong the playoffs, is acceptable then?

It'd be one thing if cancellations were decreasing, but the opposite is occurring
    I'm pretty positive "disruptions" will result in forfeitures and not prolong anything. That's how basketball was handled. And I agree, it's not getting better, but hoping for the season to get canned now makes no sense. As long as the best teams out there can hold a playoff, it matters. If it's possible to hold a playoff this spring, and at least have something resembling the two best teams playing each other for the title, it's worth it, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

If there was a consensus top 4 teams in the country, it would make sense to just go right to semi'final games and then a championship. But thing are so jumbled up with everyone playing differing numbers of games, I don't think that people would be happy with that.
      I suppose they could limit it to the automatic qualifiers or end the season now, have the qualifying teams isolate, and start the playoffs on schedule.

Regardless, to insist the playoffs happen AND the regular season continue for the next two weeks despite rapidly deteriorating schedules in the Valley alone is myopic.

Relatedly, if it's unlikely the 'Yotes can play on 4/10, I'd be curious if NDSU and the Jacks would play that weekend to end the Valley regular season. That way, you're not risking the most consequential game of the regular season by delaying it an extra week

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

I'm pretty positive "disruptions" will result in forfeitures and not prolong anything. That's how basketball was handled. And I agree, it's not getting better, but hoping for the season to get canned now makes no sense. As long as the best teams out there can hold a playoff, it matters. If it's possible to hold a playoff this spring, and at least have something resembling the two best teams playing each other for the title, it's worth it, in my opinion.
        I never said to can the season.

I'd say axe the game against the 'Yotes (which is at risk anyway), play NDSU in Fargo on 4/10, and call it a Spring season (with the points I discussed an option for rewarding participation/victories/conference standings)

Can we really compare the MBB/WBB situations and football given differences in roster sizes, injury risk, host sites, travel, etc.?

Comment

On a more positive note -- the Jacks were mentioned on this podcast as one of the FCS's best mascots (first at 1:12:40 mark). The host asked if there was a better mascot than Albany's, and a co-host (believe it was David Berry) said he had to mention the Jacks

Comment

I suppose they could limit it to the automatic qualifiers or end the season now, have the qualifying teams isolate, and start the playoffs on schedule.

Regardless, to insist the playoffs happen AND the regular season continue for the next two weeks despite rapidly deteriorating schedules in the Valley alone is myopic.

Relatedly, if it's unlikely the 'Yotes can play on 4/10, I'd be curious if NDSU and the Jacks would play that weekend to end the Valley regular season. That way, you're not risking the most consequential game of the regular season by delaying it an extra week
            Is it a given that NDSU will be able to play in 10 days ?

Comment

Is it a given that NDSU will be able to play in 10 days ?
              No, but it seems more likely than USD being able to at this point (assuming NDSU is adhering to testing and tracing regimens), and if the powers that be are insistent that the playoffs happen, wouldn't it make sense to prioritize a game having direct playoff implications?

Plus ending the season a week early (on 4/10) allows some leeway in the event playoff qualifiers have an outbreak in the days after the regular season ends

Comment

Four of 14 FCS playoff host sites are at Valley institutions (Brookings, Fargo, Grand Forks, and Springfield)

Comment

No real surprises on that list, with the possible exception of the omission of a Socon host site. Thought they would have had a team like VMI try to put in for a bid. Do we know yet how they are selecting the final 8? And for that matter, can they only pull from the selected 8 for the quarters, or do they have the option to use one of the others if needed? For example, if two "host" teams lose in the same quarter of the bracket, how will they decide where the quarterfinal game between the winning teams is played?

Comment

No real surprises on that list, with the possible exception of the omission of a Socon host site. Thought they would have had a team like VMI try to put in for a bid. Do we know yet how they are selecting the final 8? And for that matter, can they only pull from the selected 8 for the quarters, or do they have the option to use one of the others if needed? For example, if two "host" teams lose in the same quarter of the bracket, how will they decide where the quarterfinal game between the winning teams is played?
                    They will decide everything weekly depending on winners and various situations. Honestly, I don't think they have much of a plan. Pretty sure they're just going to wing it and hope nobody gets sick.
                    Rollin' in my 5.0
                    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

I wasn't expecting the Bears to win a bid

That NCAA post indicates a dozen of the 14 will be considered for semi and quarterfinals. Where that gets interesting is sites could be on the hook for maintaining testing and tracing protocols for both the opening round and subsequent rounds, find out they won't host the openers, and then still have the expense of hosting a quarter or semi. Granted, "losing" the right to the opener shouldn't be as expensive (primarily strategic planning and logistics), but it would be a "lost" cost

Comment

Interesting latest bracketology from Sam Herder.

He has Jacks hosting Holy Cross with the winner playing winner of UND-Missouri State (and NDSU sole Valley team on opposite side of bracket)

Suppose that could be his wishful thinking that Jacks and Bison meet in Frisco. He also left SIU out of the field

Comment

Alternative bracketology from Craig Haley. He also has Jacks hosting Holy Cross, but he has UND-NDSU rematch (as an "regional scheduling" exception to rule that teams who played during season wouldn't meet in first round).

His bracket differs from Sam Herder's in that Haley has SIU in the field.

I find the Missouri State-Weber State pairing interesting, as he could've had similar Hawks-Bears pairing that was at least as regional as Weber State

Comment

Alternative bracketology from Craig Haley. He also has Jacks hosting Holy Cross, but he has UND-NDSU rematch (as an "regional scheduling" exception to rule that teams who played during season wouldn't meet in first round).

His bracket differs from Sam Herder's in that Haley has SIU in the field.

I find the Missouri State-Weber State pairing interesting, as he could've had similar Hawks-Bears pairing that was at least as regional as Weber State
                            Putting the Jacks and the two ND schools as 3 of the 4 teams in one quarter of the bracket would be absolute BS. I do think UND gets fed into Brookings in the second round though, which I would love.

Comment

I saw a tweet from UND saying that they confirmed with the NCAA that conference-mates would not meet in the first round. For what that's worth.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Putting the Jacks and the two ND schools as 3 of the 4 teams in one quarter of the bracket would be absolute BS. I do think UND gets fed into Brookings in the second round though, which I would love.
                                I guess I'm a bigger fan of Sam Herder's bracket, but I'd like to see the Valley teams split between the JMU and SDSU halves, with Sacred Heart replacing either UND or Missouri State

If regionalization is a primary consideration, one could argue a game at Grand Forks or Springfield is better for Sacred Heart than Ogden would be

Comment

Working...
                                X