3. Sdsu
    4. Delaware
    5. SHSU
    6. UND
    7. JMU
    8. VMI
    9. DAVIS
    10. Murray

You could make a solid argument for any of the top 4 to be in any order. And I think if we beat the Bison, we have the best resume, by far, on that list.
    I haven't watched Weber State play (other than a couple highlights), but I struggle ranking a team that's only played three games (two at home) #1. Plus their home victories have been close.

The skewed schedule was a reason I found UND being highly ranked somewhat frustrating, and I'm glad to see them ranked lower than the Jacks.

What factor(s) prevented you from ranking UND and JMU above SHSU?

Similarly, what caused you to drop JMU below UND?

Comment

Yeah, I understand that with Weber. I think they're a lot like the Jacks. Very good team that is prone to a bad game or two.

If you look at JMUs resume, they are the only team in the Top 10 without a top 25 win. UND is good, but I still think they were lucky to beat us and they have regressed a bit. SHSU has two top 25 wins. They haven't best a top 10 team, but they are clearly a pretty decent team, and I'm not sure there is another team above them in my rankings, outside of maybe UND that I would pick over them on a neutral field.

Comment

On second thought, now that the NCAA has announced that despite the MEAC suspending its season, the three teams that opted to play will still qualify for an autobid, maybe this spring season isn't worth it after all.

Biggest slap in the face I've ever heard.. what a complete joke.

In other words, only 5 at large bids, not 6. Someone's bubble just burst.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          Yeah, I understand that with Weber. I think they're a lot like the Jacks. Very good team that is prone to a bad game or two.

If you look at JMUs resume, they are the only team in the Top 10 without a top 25 win. UND is good, but I still think they were lucky to beat us and they have regressed a bit. SHSU has two top 25 wins. They haven't best a top 10 team, but they are clearly a pretty decent team, and I'm not sure there is another team above them in my rankings, outside of maybe UND that I would pick over them on a neutral field.
          I agree regarding UND, and I'd love to see the Jacks take on Weber State.

I guess one thing about this season is that almost every team has had bad games

Comment

On second thought, now that the NCAA has announced that despite the MEAC suspending its season, the three teams that opted to play will still qualify for an autobid, maybe this spring season isn't worth it after all.

Biggest slap in the face I've ever heard.. what a complete joke.

In other words, only 5 at large bids, not 6. Someone's bubble just burst.
            Their playoff bid timeline and this suggests the NCAA may be trying to spur conferences to reject Spring playoffs rather than the NCAA taking the heat itself

Comment

I honestly think it may have been an error. Which is sad, since they are literally the governing body of the playoffs. They tweet about every two weeks and didn't even announce that the top 10 was being revealed.

The fact that the MEAC, ivy, or SWAC were even going to be allowed to participate this spring if they wanted to was a complete joke. If the playoffs aren't good enough for those 3 conferences in the fall, they shouldn't get the option to use them as a backup in the spring.

Oh,, and 1 of the 3 MEAC teams isn't even eligible to participate this spring sue to APR issues. So we are giving a bid to one of two teams, and taking away an at large of a much more deserving team.

Comment

I honestly think it may have been an error. Which is sad, since they are literally the governing body of the playoffs. They tweet about every two weeks and didn't even announce that the top 10 was being revealed.

The fact that the MEAC, ivy, or SWAC were even going to be allowed to participate this spring if they wanted to was a complete joke. If the playoffs aren't good enough for those 3 conferences in the fall, they shouldn't get the option to use them as a backup in the spring.

Oh,, and 1 of the 3 MEAC teams isn't even eligible to participate this spring sue to APR issues. So we are giving a bid to one of two teams, and taking away an at large of a much more deserving team.
                Doesn't sound like it was erroneous. Very interested in NCAA's rationale

Comment

This effectively means that the loser of the Marker Game is going to be one of the last teams in, if not out entirely.

With only 5 at larges, you can bank on the EWU-Davis winner grabbing one, Del/JMU grabbing one, and UND (assuming they win out) grabbing one.

That leaves two bids left between the loser of the marker game, the loser of the MSU-Jacksonville State game, and a top 25 Nicholls with a bad loss. Marker loser will have 2 losses, the other two teams will have 1 or two, depending on who wins those match-ups.

I would imagine that the loser of the marker game will fall behind UND, and i think it is highly unlikely that the Valley will snag two of the 5 at large bids. If we lose that game and UND wins against YSU, I think we're out. It has become a must win, as is the USD game (if it happens).

Comment

This effectively means that the loser of the Marker Game is going to be one of the last teams in, if not out entirely.

With only 5 at larges, you can bank on the EWU-Davis winner grabbing one, Del/JMU grabbing one, and UND (assuming they win out) grabbing one.

That leaves two bids left between the loser of the marker game, the loser of the MSU-Jacksonville State game, and a top 25 Nicholls with a bad loss. Marker loser will have 2 losses, the other two teams will have 1 or two, depending on who wins those match-ups.

I would imagine that the loser of the marker game will fall behind UND, and i think it is highly unlikely that the Valley will snag two of the 5 at large bids. If we lose that game and UND wins against YSU, I think we're out. It has become a must win, as is the USD game (if it happens).
                    In hindsight, do you think it would've been better for the Valley to have Spring "East-West Divisions" playing four to five games each and then the winners of the two divisions playing a fifth or sixth championship game for the AQ?

Sure, the argument is that it'd lock the currently highly-ranked Dakota schools into playing each other, but that happened anyway, and it might've meant the Redbirds would've finished the season/minimized scheduling disruption

Comment

We have the NCAA's reported explanation. Apparently, a conference of three playing one another is all that was necessary for AQ eligiblity

Comment

In an odd twist in an already very odd season, the MEAC announced today that they will not qualify for an autobid after all due to the fact that all 3 teams didn't play each other, mostly due to DC's travel restrictions impacting Howard University.

That's good news for getting 6 at larges back on the table and pretty much locks up the loser of the Marker Game getting an at large. But damn, what an absolute clown show.

Comment

In an odd twist in an already very odd season, the MEAC announced today that they will not qualify for an autobid after all due to the fact that all 3 teams didn't play each other, mostly due to DC's travel restrictions impacting Howard University.

That's good news for getting 6 at larges back on the table and pretty much locks up the loser of the Marker Game getting an at large. But damn, what an absolute clown show.
                          Salukis are reportedly also playing SE Louisiana on 4/17. Don't think anyone other than Hill and a few Saluki fans think they have realistic shot at the playoffs, but ...

Comment

UND-YSU game has been canceled, meaning UND wins share of MVFC title and at-large playoff bid

Would've been great if Valley would've exerted pressure to replace YSU with Bears as UND's opponent on 4/17 last Sat. or Sun., as those teams were scheduled to play earlier anyway, and the outcome impacts conference standings and playoff qualification
                            Last edited by jakejc795; 04-14-2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

A Modest Proposal for a more rational Spring 2021 FBS Football NCAA Playoffs:

1. Field will be 32 teams (this adds one week to the playoff schedule. Not a big deal! The NCAA has got the $, we all know they do.)
                              2. Playoff teams must have played a minimum of 5 games in Spring 2021.
                              3. Playoff teams must have a winning record in Spring 2021 games.
                              4. Teams will be seeded 1-32.
                              5. Should less than 32 teams qualify as above for the playoffs, highest-seeded teams will receive a first-round bye.
                              6. Any team which, for any reason, is unable to participate in its slotted playoff game will forfeit that game and their opponent shall move to the next round.

Done.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                A Modest Proposal for a more rational Spring 2021 FBS Football NCAA Playoffs:

1. Field will be 32 teams (this adds one week to the playoff schedule. Not a big deal! The NCAA has got the $, we all know they do.)
                                2. Playoff teams must have played a minimum of 5 games in Spring 2021.
                                3. Playoff teams must have a winning record in Spring 2021 games.
                                4. Teams will be seeded 1-32.
                                5. Should less than 32 teams qualify as above for the playoffs, highest-seeded teams will receive a first-round bye.
                                6. Any team which, for any reason, is unable to participate in its slotted playoff game will forfeit that game and their opponent shall move to the next round.

Done.
                                Criteria #2 essentially makes it a 20-team playoff field, right?

I'd be curious if coaches would rather have the bye or just keep the current proposed schedule to end playoffs earlier.

The other issue is that you'd have to clear at least a couple additional host sites. I'd still advocate having a half dozen alternate teams within the 16-team field in the event of a forfeit in the opening round

Comment

Working...
                                X