Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Zero issue.
    Thanks, thought that was probably the case.

USD fan voodoo/hexes then?

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
      i cannot remember even ONE impressive catch like we have been used to from our receiving corps in past. .
      Did you watch the UNI game. Michael Morgan had one of the most amazing catches I've ever seen. It was what on finger against his leg.

Comment

• YESSSSS)! my bad. that was a heckuva catch. normally we have not relied on our FB as part of the receiver/ playmaker corps but that position is supposed to be changing a bit. hope we wont have to rely on him as our only "playmaker")) haha) i think some others will come around!

anyway, you are right it was a great catch

Comment

• Originally posted by AZjack View Post

The Jankes make some plays, but definitely not studs yet. The fumble issues are a HUGE deal.

Going to need that OK St receiver in the fall.
          The Janke's are damn good football players, but in an ideal world Jaxon would be like #3 on the depth chart and Jadon would be about #5, not options 1A and 1B like they are right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post

The Janke's are damn good football players, but in an ideal world Jaxon would be like #3 on the depth chart and Jadon would be about #5, not options 1A and 1B like they are right now.
            This is fairly accurate. The 2017 class misses at WR are glaring right now. Isaiah Hill has gone back home to EIU and has had a very good career in the OVC. Keenan Orr transferred to Kent State and had a nice 2019 but no stats in 2020 and Deyon Campbell hasn't managed to stay healthy. I think the lack of development and ability to retain players is part of the reason why Arnheim is no longer here.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• If we are being honest some (maybe most) of the blame being placed on Gronowski can be attributed to the lack of talent in the receiving corps. I don't think the Janke's put much fear in a secondary. Then think about the dropped passes in huge moments. I can think of two drops off hand that came at pivotal moments.....there was an easy TD vs UNI....then a drop before the INT YSU used to take the lead. This isn't even mentioning the muffed punt (did anyone notice the bobble on the fair catch before our final drive as well?). The lack of talent in the receiving core is almost unbelievable.

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                If we are being honest some (maybe most) of the blame being placed on Gronowski can be attributed to the lack of talent in the receiving corps. I don't think the Janke's put much fear in a secondary. Then think about the dropped passes in huge moments. I can think of two drops off hand that came at pivotal moments.....there was an easy TD vs UNI....then a drop before the INT YSU used to take the lead. This isn't even mentioning the muffed punt (did anyone notice the bobble on the fair catch before our final drive as well?). The lack of talent in the receiving core is almost unbelievable.
                The dropped TD vs. UND.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

The dropped TD vs. UND.
                  That's probably the one I was thinking about. Our foot was on their neck and we were going to start applying pressure but instead a dropped TD and then they went down and scored a TD.

Was there a dropped TD against UNI too? I think there was a dropped pass against UNI inside the 5.

Comment

That's probably the one I was thinking about. Our foot was on their neck and we were going to start applying pressure but instead a dropped TD and then they went down and scored a TD.

Was there a dropped TD against UNI too? I think there was a dropped pass against UNI inside the 5.
                    The dropped TD against UND lead to a blocked FG which lead to UND scoring a TD and getting momentum instead of us blowing the game open. Then Jadon later that game had that big catch that he followed up with an unsportsmanlike conduct for running his mouth.

Comment

If we are being honest some (maybe most) of the blame being placed on Gronowski can be attributed to the lack of talent in the receiving corps. I don't think the Janke's put much fear in a secondary. Then think about the dropped passes in huge moments. I can think of two drops off hand that came at pivotal moments.....there was an easy TD vs UNI....then a drop before the INT YSU used to take the lead. This isn't even mentioning the muffed punt (did anyone notice the bobble on the fair catch before our final drive as well?). The lack of talent in the receiving core is almost unbelievable.
                      Sometimes I hold my breath watching us field punts like I used to hold my breath when somebody hit a flyball to the right fielder in little league. I could never have the nerve to be a punt returner though, bless 'em all.

But yeah, the WR corp is real bad this spring. No way in hell should a ball be going Leighton's way late in the 4th quarter (the INT) on what could be a game clinching drive. Also did anybody else notice on that INT that I don't think any of our routes were even to the 1st down marker? I haven't watched a replay of it so I am just going off of stadium replay and memory on this play.

Comment

• Watching on tv dont really see how well the wrs are getting open but when grono goes for what should be every qbs favorite outlet a tight end he misses them. He makes so really good throws so the talent is there. Physically he looks the part. Part of me thinks that gibbs sort of has that it factor as well and makes plays when he played last year. Im not saying to pull gronowskis but gibbs prbably isnt 100% so got passed up.
                        The online is inconsistent at best. Should be our strength.

Gronowskis is hitting passes in some tight windows but not sure if he is missing reads or if wrs are only giving him a tight window to aim for. Imagine if he had a cade or wineke and godert to throw too. Hopefully he and heins can get on the same page.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm not ready to write off the WR corps due to lack of talent, particularly given the number of explosive plays they've had, and if you listen the coaches' interviews pregame they mention Jankes as fast and physical receivers. Do they intimidate defenses like Wieneke, Goedert, and Schneider did recently? No, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's an absence of talent.

It's likely a combination of relative lack of experience and the fact that we've been spoiled with Wieneke, Cade Johnson, etc. There's no denying Cade's absence is felt, but to say that the #5 and #6 WRs in Valley lack talent is suspect

Comment

• Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

This is fairly accurate. The 2017 class misses at WR are glaring right now. Isaiah Hill has gone back home to EIU and has had a very good career in the OVC. Keenan Orr transferred to Kent State and had a nice 2019 but no stats in 2020 and Deyon Campbell hasn't managed to stay healthy. I think the lack of development and ability to retain players is part of the reason why Arnheim is no longer here.
                            Getting back to the OP -- is this to say that you both believe the ideal depth chart would be Cade, Deyon, Jaxon, Leighton, Jaden?

NevertheIess, I thought Bauer might get more receptions than he has.

Comment

• i agree with you jake!! i also agree that i am VERY EXCITED to see what wolf will do in the fall, but i do not think it is time to write the current wr group off. we have been so freaking spoiled by johnson, schneider, goedert, and weinike. the jankes are very talented and very good. they have DEFINITELY had some glaring and PAINFUL miscues((( but i think they will continue to get better and end up being remembered very fondly. in the games we have played so far i have not seen ANY receiver who appears better than them. before i saw your statistic jake i was going to say that i think they are both in the top 5 wr in the conference or damn close!!!! so apparently there are some stats that back that up

so i wish they were our 3rd and 5th options cuz ya know if yout 3 and 5 options are the 5th and 6th ranked wr in the conference then you are doing real well))) they are options 1 and 2 and they are good enough to deserve that! it does not imply lack of talent at wr!! it implies that our recent 1's and 2's have been good enough to get paid to play that position

i truly believe some who complain quite a bit about them here should imagine them making all the big plays that they have made already in their careers for usd or ndsu, i think you would be wanting someones head for letting 2 kids who grew up within an hour of campus get away to a rival.

that said love stigs philosophy about LAST PLAY. i always told my kids that you have NO WAY to know which play will be the play that turns the game around. sometimes happens in first quarter. sometimes happens in last minute of game. that drop against und really felt like a BIG turning point. of course that being said everyone on the team had LOT of chances to turn things back!!

STILL i have not heard ANY clarification on that unsportsmanlike call. maybe there is no clarification to be had. but are we sure the call was not strictly about the ball spin?? seems like the jacks have been called MUCH tighter for sportsmanship than their opponents thus far this year.. which seems very strange as i absolutely do NOT believe that the jacks have ANY reputation whatsoever as an unsportsmanlike group. i actually have a veyr very hard time believing it is anything but the TOTAL opposite

Comment

• on a separate but related note, do you recall anyone who you thought was a good punt returner. i feel like this is a tough job and the jacks approach has usually been catch the ball and pick up a few yards if you can but CATCH the ball

in my mind Je Ryan Butler is the best punt returner i can ever remember for the jacks. i feel like he did that job all four years, but i think they might have tried to move him out for a time bc thinking he was too valuable as shut down corner then realized that he was indespensible in that job. in my memory i feel like he did that job for the marority of the punts in his 4 yr career and i dont think he had 2 drops. NEVER called fair catch so definitely made life exciting at times but incredibly surehanded and unwavering confidence

Comment

Working...
                                X