Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Argus Leader Attack Dogs are out and about.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Argus Leader Attack Dogs are out and about

As soon as I can cool down, I will also get a letter to the editor ready for the Noguts Leader. I disagree with about 95% of what that rag stands for, so it stands to reason they would take the wrong side of this debate. Reading Mick Garry's "report", does anyone see how this is not a biased editorial masquerading as journalism? It's par for the course for that rag. Too bad for us in SF, it's our only paper. Luckily for all of us, SDSU does not require the blessing of Randall Beck in order to conduct it's affairs in the best interests of it's students and alumni.

Comment

I think I needed to cool off more. The response I typed was to long, and now I don't have the time to redo it (leaving on a business trip to Alabama in the morning). So I will have to leave it to you my Jackrabbit brothers to stand up and point out the bias of the Argus Liar. >
      I know you are up to the task (Nice work to both filbert and SoDak).

SDSU for the Staters!!!

Comment

As you could probably tell, I was pretty worked up about that hit piece masquerading as a news article, too.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I had a nice chat yesterday with VJ Smith SDSU Alumni Association, Executive Director about the negative publicty. For one thing the alum Klouchek SD Senator from Scotland has a vested purpose in making all this noise, namely he represents area close to Vermillion, and this is what is driving him to some extend. I hate to say it, but personal stupidity is the other factor driving him.  These guys(elected legislators) and the Argus Leader are trying to intimidate administration at this point in time. Its not going to work.

In talking he mentioned that Fred, in particular, was getting a lot of negative mail.  I asked VJ if would be a good idea to write President Miller and thank her for having the courage to make this  decision, and he said most definitely this  would help.  Both Peggy and Fred Oien would appreciate receiving this kind of mail and comments. President Miller does not have email address on the SDSU Website, but her mailing address is there under ADMINISTRATION.

University Administration

Peggy Miller, Ed.D.
          President
          South Dakota State University
          Office of the President
          Box 2201, AD 0222
          Brookings, SD 57007
          phone: (605) 688-4111

Fred has an email address and it is

Fred_Oien@sdstate.edu
          E-mail Address(es):
           Fred_Oien@sdstate.edu

I think its likely more helpful to convey your support of this move than to try and reason with Argus or those legislative reps.  As I said, the D1 decision is not likely to be reversed at this point in time, its about intimidation.  When people speak about established rivalries its has a USD connection. USD has a great deal to lose from this our move to D1, BUT THAT IS THEIR PROBLEM.

So I dont think Peggy will be disappointed with with supportive mail sent by us on this board.  

What amazes me about this message board, though small in number of posters, everyone has been very supportive of going D1 and now would be a good time to let the administation know this.

Comment

I just concluded an e mail to Dr. Oien in support of our Division one move, If you all know of other alumni it may be good to pass along a support message to President Miller and AD Oien. Thank you SDSUFan for the above post. Fighting it out with the morons from the Argus is probably not going to change many minds, although I'm still in favor of taking them on at every opportunity as well.

SDSU #1

Comment

I just read the article in the Brookings Register. If anything is an embarrasment it's these jokers. Kloucek
              who is a 78 Grad probably is not even an active booster of State. These people just have not done their homework and seen what is happening to DII Athletics and that SDSU no longer looks like other DII members. It's a real slap in the face of the Board of Regents to question there decision at this point. All you have to do is look at attendence figures for both SDSU and USD for their opening games to see that their respective programs are in different places. I don't believe USD will ever have the support to move up. I think we should e-mail these legislators and voice are opinion. They seem to think that a majority of people in the state share their opinion which I'm confident is not the case. I agree with some previous posts that Coughlin Stadium had a very different feel to it at Saturdays game. Their was a feeling of confidence and excitement about where the school is going. People applauded when Peggy entered the pre-game party.

Comment

Jack Guy:
                There are a couple of things about Klouchek that should be put in perspective. VJ Smith knows him from student days, and he is not worried at all about Frank Klouchek.

Frank represents areas close to Vermillion so he is posturing for the USD crowd. The other thing is Klouchek does not have a great deal of respect amongst his fellow legislators. Supposely when some issues come were there is pressure to pass a law, the legistlative leaders ask Klouchek to sponor or sometimes co-sponor the bill so it will purposely die in committee. The legislative leaders can then say we did something. So Klouchek ends up being a means to resolve an issue without passing a law.
                From what I understand Klouchek got one bill out of committee in the last session and that was soundly defeated on the floor. The D1 bill he wants to re-introduce will probably get the same treatment the next time around.

This Klouchek guy is not Tom Daschle so I was told not to waste time communicating with him. Klouchek is joke in Pierre. He got nice publicy in the Brookings Register.

The bottom line is as you hinted at the Board of Regents dont want to reverse this decision. Gov Mike Rounds, though not on record, has been supportive of the D1 move. Given those considerations, the D1 move is not about to be reversed.

You are right about Frank being a non-generous supporter of athletics. I checked with my SDSU foundation Report, and as of 2001, he gave zip to SDSU for any purpose.

Comment

I spoke to someone I know in the legislature and he echoed your thoughts about Kloucek and Kooistra. His comments were that if someone in the legislature had to come out against the DI issue you couldn't have picked two better ones as they have no respect or credibility in Pierre. Tim Begalka is another question. His district includes Brookings and it's troubling he would take this stand as he is not in the same category as the other two bufoons! He does have an e-mail address.

Comment

Chad Lavin the USD Women's basketball coach is from Clear Lake. I don't know if Begelka is a friend or not of Lavin, but Lavin seems to have thrown everything he could against SDSU D1 move.

One of the tricks Lavin pulled was to have his Sister in law, who is an SDSU employee to start a petition against the move. If she was working for the Federal government like I am, you would be in a heap of trouble for starting a petition of any kind, because of the prohibition of lobbying by federal employees in any shape or form.

Lucky for us in Clear Lake, is Greg Fritz the car dealer. Gregg provides wheels for coaches when they go recruiting and he currently is now on the Alumni Council so we got some allies in Clear Lake and the Watertown area.

Comment

Working...
                    X