• Show
Clear All

• Very Sad News

BROOKINGS, SD
    MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2003

09/15/2003
    SDSU mourns death of football player

CAPTION: Donnie Parsons
    South Dakota State University student and football player Donnie Parsons died at Brookings Hospital early Sunday morning.

Parsons, a 19-year-old redshirt freshman running back from Omaha, Neb., became stricken in his dorm room after returning to Brookings following the Jackrabbits' game Saturday at Winona State (Minn.). Parsons, who suffered from asthma, was taken by ambulance to Brookings Hospital.

Parsons made his collegiate playing debut in Saturday's game, playing on special teams.

"Our football family has lost a very special young man in Donnie Parsons," SDSU head coach John Stiegelmeier said. "What he gave to SDSU will be greatly missed. He truly made a difference in his short time at SDSU."

A business law major, Parsons enrolled at SDSU in the fall of 2002 after a standout prep career at Omaha Benson High School. A three-year letterwinner, Parsons earned all-division first-team honors as a quarterback his senior season. He rushed for 800 yards and 14 touchdowns, while passing for 700 yards and 11 touchdowns.

"Donnie Parsons is a winner in every sense of the word," Stiegelmeier said. "Our sincere sympathy goes out to his family and all his loved ones."

Parsons is survived by his mother, Shirdene Davis, and a brother, Dontae Davis. Funeral arrangements are pending.

© 2003 South Dakota State University. -- All Rights Reserved.
    South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD 57007 -- 1-800-952-3541

Re: Very Sad News

I remember when USD lost McKenzie Hartwig, a volleyball player, last year. It's a huge blow to see such young, vibrant kids cut down in their prime like that.

My thoughts and prayers will be with his mom and his brother.

Comment

Condolences to the SDSU family, on the tragic loss of Mr. Parsons. Without being trite; there aren't better words to say it - we feel your pain...

from Bison folk.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers to Mr. Parsons' family and those that were blessed enough to know him.

Comment

This is just unbelievable. I can just see him standing on the sidelines waiting to go in on special teams at the Winona State game. My sincere condolences to his family and the Jackrabbit family.

Comment

This is very shocking news. My thoughts are with his family, friends, and teammates.

Comment

The Argus had a more complete article this morning on Donny Parsons. Also so did the Omaha World Herald.  Apparently Anthony Watson has asthma too, so I hope that this does not stop him from playing great in future games.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Tuesdayarticle1.shtml

Here is the one from Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=...p;u_sid=857212

Looks like Coach and some of the players will have a very tight schedule with the funeral being 2pm on Friday. I am sure he will be asked to say some more kind words about Donny.  This is really sad.

Comment

I am truly saddened by the loss of Donnie, it was just a few weeks ago I had wrote about him. He stuck out because of his size and heart. His mother is truly a brave sole. Her strength and convictions are inspirational. My family's thoughts and prayers go out to Donnie's freinds and family. My God Bless them.

Comment

Working...
                X