How the team looks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the team looks

I was looking over the Pre-Season Two-Deep and some of the things that jumped out at me.

O-line - looks good (nice size), lacking a little exp. a guard. Michael Suhn moving to left side and Whiston Kaleimamahu stepping up to start. He looked better as the season went on, as I recall. Should be ok.

Wide-outs - look strong.

TE - looks a little scary to me with a So, and RS Fr. slated 1, 2, and Ryan Lowry bringing up the rear.

Obviously the big question is at QB - Brad Nelson the Jr. back up or Andy Kardoes the RS Fr. I hate to go into the season with a RS Fr. but if it is close I go with the young guy.

RB - is another big question mark. Everyone seems to by high on Anthony Watson and I am looking forward to seeing him play. Looks like James O'Neill will be the big back at 6' 1" 240 lbs. Another interesting kid is Donnie Parsons he is only 5'6" and 160 lbs, might be fun to watch if he dosen't get killed.

D-Line - looked ok, a bit undersized, hope they are fast.

LB - scares me Marty Kranz RS Fr. from Watertown, Chris Coauette returning to his spot and it looks like Rodney Francois (although reading his bio it also looks like he may get a look at SS). Hopefully they come together as a unit.

CB - We are loaded- Kevin Brown is back and we have 4 other guys trying to get the starting nod, including 2 Jr. College Transfers from CA. . .Tyran Slaughter from LA, and Freddie Ellis from San Diego.

SS & TS - Both starters are back (and BIG), should be ok.

Looks like if we can get the BIG two (QB & RB) on track early we could do something this season. Those of course are big ifs. Here is to our Jackrabbits, lets hope we go out of D II with style and a NCC Championship!

Go Blue!

Re: How the team looks

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    ..... lets hope we go out of D II with style and a NCC Championship!

Hey!@#$# That's what we're hoping for! ;D

Best of luck to the Jacks in their last season in DII!!
    Maybe the NCC championship will be decided on 9/27!

Comment

Here is an article from d2football.com

http://www.d2football.com/Notebooks/Midwest/index.html

Go State!

Comment

Here is what the Argus thinks of us this year:

http://www.argusleader.com/kickoff20...rticle16.shtml

All and all not to bad, however if Augie went 4-4 last year in the NCC and finished in a 4 way 4th place tie (thats a lot of 4s) with the UNC forfeits, how come they said we finished 5th with a 4-4 NCC record? ???

Go Jacks!

Comment

James Oneil
          I am a little confused here on what Oneil's status is in terms of playing. Chris Solari implies he no longer playing due to injury. I have seen where he was playing baseball all summer long with the Brookings Cubs so apparently he was healthy all summer. Unless sometime happen in the past two weeks, I was under the impression that he would be the leading RB. Again if Anthony Watson came on strong and edged him out thats okay too.

Oneil impressed me last year until he got hurt real bad in the Western Washington game.

If you read the USF write up two SDSU players transferred to USF. Derek Degest and Jake Erickson both transferred.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
            James Oneil

If you read the USF write up two SDSU players transferred to USF. Derek Degest and Jake Erickson both transferred.
            SDSUFAN,

Who are these guys, should I care that they went down to USF (NAIA D II)? ??? Just wondering.

Go State!

Comment

89rabbit:
              Derek Degest got a lot of playing time last year. He was a good player from Harrisburg. He was the big star in the 11A championship game a couble of years back between Harrisburg and Gregory and was among the Elete 45 picked by the Argus. Apparently he has not progressed that much at SDSU.

I suspect both felt they were not going to progress to a starter, and that is why they left.

Comment

I believe there will continue to be players leaving the program based on our new path to D1AA and if they feel sufficient playing time will not be there. I noticed on the jack football website where they position this weeks game they are stating that Anthony Watson is the starter and they have no other experienced running backs other than a Los Angeles transfer Anthony Robinson who I don't even see on the roster. They compare Watson's running style and body type type to Josh Ranek including his number #30.

Comment

Jack Guy
                  I see what you mean, Robinson must have just come on board campus, perhaps after the media guide was printed.  Hey we need new blood.  I regret that Oneil is already injured.  Its a shame as he is a good athlete, maybe better at baseball than football.

If Waton can emulate Ranek, go for it.  I like guys who do not give up at running back.  Ranek is getting a lot attention in the CFL and they are beginning to see his talent.  With a tough running back, the offense can be more balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                    I believe there will continue to be players leaving the program based on our new path to D1AA and if they feel sufficient playing time will not be there. I noticed on the jack football website where they position this weeks game they are stating that Anthony Watson is the starter and they have no other experienced running backs other than a Los Angeles transfer Anthony Robinson who I don't even see on the roster. They compare Watson's running style and body type type to Josh Ranek including his number #30.        
                    JACKGUY,

What Jacks football website are you talking about. I could not find any that said anyting about Anthony Robinson. Maybe I am just not looking in the right place, it has been a long day, just got home. You help would be appreciated.

Go Jacks!

Comment

89 Rabbit:

It took me a while too, but you have to click on "latest News" on Varsity Sports Football. There is an Adobe file 09-02-03 that has the mention of Robinson and the line ups for Saturdays' game.

Comment

Seems to be a little uncertainty about our quaterback situation with Nelson not a solid lock.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                          89 Rabbit:

It took me a while too, but you have to click on "latest News" on Varsity Sports Football.  There is an Adobe file 09-02-03 that has the mention of Robinson and the line ups for Saturdays' game.
                          Thanks for the help SDSUFAN. I am on my way to look at it now.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                            Seems to be a little uncertainty about our quaterback situation with Nelson not a solid lock.
                            I said it at the top of this thread, if it is close go with Kardoes. Nothing against Nelson, but if we are going to start someone with little to know College game day exp. lets go with the kid we will have around longer.  Unless we think we have the inside track on some stud still in High School.   Either way lets get a win!

Go State!

Comment

As we head into the second half of the NWMSU game it sound so far like Brad Nelson and Anthony Watson are doing great.  It also sounds like Tyran Slaughter has blazzing speed!

Go Blue!

Comment

Working...
                              X