Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
    Is there away to make my views known to Rep. Kooistra, an e mail or phone number ?  Then I will comunicate in very clear terms that this alumni is in favor of this move. Thankfully we have in our athletic administration visionary individuals that can handle these mindless fools who wont let this argument end.
    As for usd, Jackguy/SDSU fan you are correct, they are in a sorry state of affairs in vermillion. the lone sports venue there would be better served as a grain bin than a sports facility (I'm not being facetious). They better start worrying about their own situation rather than "trying" to hold SDSU back.
    From My SDSU Alumni Directory
    Here is an address

Clarence L. Kooistra

1117 4th Street
    Garretson, South Dakota 57030-2011

Telephone number listed is 605-594-3833

There is no email listed. Maybe a State Govt site in Pierre might have an email address.

Comment

I checked on the Legislative Directory and he has no e-mail address.

Comment

Surprise Surprise his number has been disconnected! Gutless worm that can make broad statements and then dissapear and not be accountable for his comments.

Comment

A white page search gave me the same telephone number. I guess you can still try snail mail and send him a letter.

Comment

That will be my tactic. Amazing how many of the legislators are still in the dark ages and do not have e-mail. How are there consitutients supposed to convey there opinions.

Comment

Hey Rabbits,
              Best of luck in reaching your legislators to let them know how you feel. Be sure and take care of your arch-rival tomorrow.

Comment

Here is the Argus Editoral board's editoral on the ending of the rivalry.

Rivalries will be missed
                Editorial Board
                Argus Leader

published: 10/25/2003

SDSU, USD on different paths; who knows how it will end

It was the spring of 1889. South Dakota wasn't even a state. The University of South Dakota was celebrating its 27th year of operation. Younger cousin South Dakota State University was entering just its eighth year.

And on the football field, those two schools met for the first time. The result was downright prophetic - a 6-6 tie.

Fast forward. Today, the two teams meet again, the Jackrabbits and Coyotes - for the 105th time. And maybe, for the last time.

This tradition that's lasted more than a century is falling victim to progress, to change.

SDSU is leaving the North Central Conference and NCAA Division II athletics for the glitz and glamour of Division I.

Don't look at USD as being left behind, though. Say, rather, it's moving in a different direction.

Both schools are being pinched in their efforts to draw more students. Look around. Almost everywhere in the state, high school enrollments are dropping. What few students South Dakota has are looking across our borders, hoping to find greener grass.

That leaves USD and SDSU to do the same - look to other states to provide the student base that's so important. And that means reinventing themselves, creating new identities to attract those students. They are taking different directions:

• SDSU hopes that by moving to Division I athletics (Division 1-AA for football), it will make the national radar screen. Athletics can be used to promote the rest of the school.

• USD, on the other hand, rejected athletics as the conduit to national publicity. Instead, it's focusing on raising academic standards.

The jury is out on which method - if either - will work. But both are based on the same premise: Our world no longer is limited to the borders of South Dakota. It's become much larger.

That fabulous USD-SDSU football game gets lost in the shuffle. It's possible the two schools could schedule nonconference games with each other. But that seems unlikely right now. Instead, we'll be looking for new rivalries.

We aren't alone. Just to the north, North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota are doing the same.

They just met for the 110th - and possibly the last - time. NDSU is moving to Division I, hoping to create a national name for itself. UND is staying with Division II, focusing on academics. The rivalry seems lost, though fans are hoping to resurrect it in nonconference games.

It's situations like this for which we designed the adage: Nothing lasts forever.

It would be easy to blame this all on NDSU and SDSU. Don't. While it is unclear whether they have made the right decisions, they have done so in the belief that their universities will be strengthened and the competitive balance - for students - restored.

They merely are a reflection of what's happening with colleges and universities around the country.

Maybe this glorious USD-SDSU rivalry isn't over. Maybe it will continue. But we won't know that for awhile. It's better to accept today's game as the last. And accept that change is inevitable.

The games haven't always been showcases of great football played by great teams. But they've been great entertainment and wonderful conversation-starters.

We'll all miss them.

Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

USA Today | USA Weekend | Gannett Co. Inc. | Gannett Foundation | PheasantCountry.com

Comment

Does anyone know if there will be a webcast of the game since it is televised?

Comment

It should be on WNAX as usual.

Comment

Jacks are up 14-0 already!

Comment

I havent been able to get the WNAX webcast all day, so I have had to listen to the usd broadcast, This is the most pathetic broadcast since I listened to an augie basketball game on a SF station a few years ago. Their play by play guy is named Chris Culhane he should be calling the Colman/Egan vs Rutland/Ramona game instead of the usd games. then there is a guy they call"coach" I'm not sure what his deal is yet. It makes you appreciate Steve Imming.
                        We sound shaky... were up 22-11 but it hasnt been pretty.

Comment

What has happened to our once promising running game? They just announced we have -3 yards rushing at the end of the 3rd QTR. Against usd ?? It also sounds like Nelson has been sacked all day long. I cant wait to hear SDSUFan and Jackguy's opinion when they return from this game.
                          When did the "mighty" usd coyotes defense become the "blackshirts" did they just think that it sounded cool when Nebraska uses that nickname? The usd broadcast crew has used that term at least 15 times today!

Comment

SDSU 22
                            vermillion college 11

Goodbye yote's.. and good riddance !!
                            Have fun playing Lincoln University and Minnesota-Morris in the future !

Comment

I listened to both WNAX and the USD station. What a bunch of idiots on USD's station. In their post game show they said that if SDSU wants to play them they'll have "come to Vermillion with a sack of money". They also said USD doesn't need this game, but SDSU does. Yeah we really need a game with a second rate team that hardly has a following. They seem to think the game brings in so much money for SDSU. I'm just glad there's no way we will ever play in the dome again.

Comment

I'll get off the broadcasters after this post but that has to be an embarrasment for usd. The juvenile post game show about SDSU moving up was bush league. We have local high school kids broadcast the local high school games here in Allen and they do a much more professional job and conduct interviews with preparation and class. They made usd (and themselves)look like a spurned date on prom night. I'm surprised that the sports admin. at vermillion even tolerates that.
                                I guess its not hard to determine the two different directions of the sports programs involved here. Maybe there are some journalism majors at the u who could step up and not make their university look so bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X