Augie's Coming to Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie's Coming to Town

It's a wrap! SDSU says goodbye and farewell to NCC football with a nice 42-22 win over the puppies from AC.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Way to go Jacks! Good win, now with a win next week we'll be 7-4.
      Thats a pretty successful season, I know this is kuda, wuda, shuda But just think of how close we were go a Great season. the 1 point loss to und and the td loss at Winona. that close to being (9-2) and having a playoff shot. I know we have one game left but we should easily handle Humboldt St on the frozen tundra.

Go SDSU

Comment

Here is the link to the Argus Leader story. All and all not to bad, perhaps they are getting over the fact that we ARE moving up. Nice Win!

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayfeature.shtml

Go State!

Comment

Even with the poor weather its dissapointing to see our last NCC game have such poor attendence against instate rival Augie.

Comment

I agree 100%.  Wasn't one of the arguments made by the FES/Nay Sayers that we would lose these rivalry games and their "drawing power".  I think we showed this year that if you put a good team on the field and bring in quality opponents we draw well (see NWMSU game, almost 9,000), and that our "rivals" don't always bring a lot of fans to Brookings.  

Don't get me wrong, I would still like to play Augie and USD (at our place or in Sioux Falls at a neutral site) after we move up, but I want them to replace the Si Tankas and Winona States of the world.  They can be our warm up games before we play the likes of UNI, Montana State, Georgia Southern, etc.  I am so looking forward to next season in I-AA.  Can't wait to see the schedule.

Go SDSU!

Comment

I think the reality is unless you want to build some kind of indoor stadium, you're going to be lucky to draw much over 2,000 people to football in November in South Dakota. The weather is just too nasty.

Is it too late to modify the Wellness Center design to seat 5,000 in it's indoor football field?
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I just can't buy that. You look at other Midwest schools in D1 that step up and sell out regardless of the weather or opponent. Our fan faithful have to step it up regardless of the weather. 2000 is pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  I think the reality is unless you want to build some kind of indoor stadium, you're going to be lucky to draw much over 2,000 people to football in November in South Dakota.  The weather is just too nasty.

Is it too late to modify the Wellness Center design to seat 5,000 in it's indoor football field?
                  If we look to the south in Vermillion, the indoor facility has been a white elephant, and surely we could learn from their mistakes, but really dont think the practice facility would be built to accommodate 5000.  When you consider Saturday's weather, that would be a perfect solution.  

I have always felt that if we could have 2 or 3  seasons of 8 plus wins back to back, that the crowd would improve significantly.  Before UND and NDSU moved indoors, they managed to draw good crowds if they got into the playoffs.

I have not missed many games since 1986, and in the past there has been weather like last Saturday for games with the attendence being 800 to 1500, so to get over the 2000 mark was actually an improvement in attendence. Yes for Augie we could have done better.

Consider this, last year we played Augie about the same time or maybe earlier. In Sioux Falls, with a winder and warmer day, the crowd numbered 4000 and most probably would have been Jack fans.

I think our big concern in this transistion period is scholarships an having the extra revenue available to fund those extras.

Dont get me wrong, I would love an indoor facility but I just don't think its in the cards anytime soon.

I did not make it to the game(too cold) and was driving elsewhere in SD and listened back and forth between Augie's station KXRB 1000 and WNAX.  It was interesting that the Augie announcers claimed that Augie had gift wrapped the game and handed to SDSU. Those guys were really stingy with the praise for SDSU turnovers forced on Augie.   No mention about how Augie defense sucked and could not stop Nelson worth a hoot.  Once SDSU figured how to take out that Nowman or whatever his name is, we had our way with Augie on offense. They threw a pancake block on this guy and Watson walked into the endzone on that one TD.

Comment

Yes, you're probably right, all the way around. Nothing like winning to bring the people out. And, a dome for SDSU is probably years away, if ever. I do like the macho factor of outdoor football...seems like both the Minnesota Vikings and the Bison lost some of their aura once they moved indoors. I expect to see the same thing happen eventually to UND.

But damn, it can get cold in November . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

All you have to do is attend a game in the Fargo Dome and compare that to the atmosphere at Coughlin to be convinced that we have the right setting, but just need to enhance the amenities. While the Fargo Dome is a nice facility, I don't like all the artificial noise as it lacks a college football enviroment. I like the noise of the gloves clapping on a cold day!

Comment

Working...
                      X