O Coordinator Eidsness to interview with SMSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: O Coordinator Eidsness to interview with SMSU

If Mr. Pate is going around telling people that he was offered the job and didn't take it, then I think it is lucky for Southwest State University that Eidsness is now the head coach. People who act in this manner lack class.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
      When Pate said the situation was not right, he probably meant that he was getting more money at GSU as a staff coach then what he would have gotten at SWMU as head coach.  Besides it gets to cold up this way. I imagine he got a taste of that too.

Eaglemania:
      Does Coach Pate have any upper midwest connections such as family, grew up here or anything like that?

Other that the head coach at Minn State-Mankato who came from Arkansas, we have seen few candidates from the South or Deep south, probably because it seems like a long way from home, its cold and the salaries are not that great.
      Coach Pate was an Army brat, and was in the Army himself, so he has been and lived everywhere all over the world. He's been a college head coach, as well as a college athletic director for a couple of small NAIA colleges in Kentucky.

He might be paid more at GSU, but I doubt that being from home or the too far away agruement is valid in his case. Statesboro is probably more of a home to him than anywhere else he as ever lived. Pate has had two stints at GSU and has lived in Statesboro for about 13 years total, so maybe he has finally found a home and doesn't want to leave if he doesn't have to.
      Good question

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
        If Mr. Pate is going around telling people that he was offered the job and didn't take it, then I think it is lucky for Southwest State University that Eidsness is now the head coach.  People who act in this manner lack class.
        Why?
        ???

Comment

Here's is why I made that statement. First, unless you talk to the Athletic Director at Southwest State University, there is no verification that an offer was even made. I doubt very much that a prospective employer would even say whether an offer was tendered for legal reasons. Unless that information was made public, anybody can say anything. Too often I've come across people who tried to save face in these types of situations and claimed that they were offered a job but turned it down when, in fact, they were never offered a position in the first place.

Second, what does that say about Coach Eidsness? "You weren't our first choice but do you want the job anyway?" What kind of start is that?

The fact that Coach Pate even divulged that information to someone (outside of his family and close circle of friends) makes me question his character. Why? He gave that information to you and you posted it on this site. Something that should have remained private has now become public.

It's very unfair to Coach Eidsness and the SWSU program. There is no way they will, or can, respond to Pate's assertion. How fair is that?

Comment

Alumguy is right on and I will not repeat what he has said.  At the least it shows bad judgement and at worst a serious character flaw.  I, of course, do not know Mr. Pate and probably never will, but I hope this was simply an isolated incident of bad judgement.  Unfortunately, he cannot take back what he said.  I am hopeful he will learn from his mistake.

It would be completely different if SWSU had issued a statement saying that they offered the job to Mr. Pate but he turned it down, such as many major universities and professional teams do when searching for a coach.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Look at it this way:
              What if the local paper, radio, or TV asked Pate if SMSU offered him the job? Do you expect him to lie and say they didn't? :

Please, these guys are grown men.

Sorry, I didn't know it was that big of a deal. You better let these people know too....

http://www.collegeswimming.com/news/...725-kremer.htm
              http://www.alligator.org/edit/issues...29/d02wise.htm
              http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArtic...11&pid=446
              http://www.enquirer.com/bearcats/200...urns_down.html

"Sources say" Look in your own backyard....
              http://www.mankato-freepress.com/arc...04/story3.html

Welcome to DI.

Comment

Changing gears just a bit, anyone heard rumors as to who SDSU is looking at to replace Eidsness?

Comment

89rabbit:
                  I talked to Coach Stig Saturday night briefly after the BB game, and he said he is already getting applications so I think we could find a better offensive guy than Eidness and that is doing something. Stig regrets seeing Eric leave, but he is happy for him, and says that each new coach he has hired has brought something new to his program. Karl Ballard is good with defense and Doug McFadden works with him closely so our defense I feel improved this past season. Of course Coach did not give me any names on the applications, but he told me that there are coaches out there that see SDSU as an opportunity.

Comment

Eaglemania _ Southwest State University is a new Division II school. We are talking about a DII school.

Comment

Boy has this thread taken a turn for the weird.

My two cents on everything:

First, I hope that Stig is able to find a replacement even close to Eidsness' ability. At this time of year I know that it is hard to find coaches willing to make a move, unless they need to make a move. Stig has assembled some strong coaches, but I personally do not believe he's made good hires throughout and I'll leave it at that.

Secondly, seems like someone has a lot of time on their hands to dig up articles to support the notion that Pate was offered the job. Where do you find articles that old??

Personally I have a hard time believing a coach was offered a job and turned it down unless it was widely known that the coach was the top candidate coming into the search. Using Bob Huggins as an example is comparing apples to oranges because before he even was a candidate for the WVU job it was all over ESPN that WVU was actively courting him.

The people I've talked to who are close to the situation indicated that coach Eidsness was receiving emails and calls from Mustang boosters in support of his receiving the job. And knowing Butch Raymond, he would tend to lean toward a guy with local roots and experience coaching against NSIC schools.

That all said here's another spin on what coaches publicly say and what really happens. When Mike Daly retired and Stig was eventually hired there was some good interest in the position. One of the coaches that had applied said in his local paper that SDSU had shown great interest in him, but he didn't feel the situation was right for him. The irony is this is that this coach wasn't even a finalist. In fact he was removed from consideration very early in the search process. This information doesn't come from my "sources", I was in the room when the search committee tossed out his application.

Comment

Any word on who will replace Eidness. Offensive Coordinator is a fairly significant position and hope we can bring someone in with good credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                          Any word on who will replace Eidness. Offensive Coordinator is a fairly significant position and hope we can bring someone in with good credentials.
                          I have no word on the replacement of Eidness. Yes its an important part of the program, Offense Co-ordinator,

Comment

Haven't heard anything on Eidsness' or Steinbach's replacement, but Eric is putting his staff together.

http://southwestmsu.edu/athletics/press/NewCoaches.pdf

Steinbach will do well for Eric. Clint Brown actually interviewed with SDSU when Greg Etter left. He has a solid background. No info on the third guy though.

Looks like Coach Eidsness doesn't need any luck with the staff he has put together.

Comment

Ouch not a good time to lose your recruiting coordinator!

Comment

Wish Coach Eidsness and Coach Steinbach lots of success. As far as a losing a recruiting coordinator late in the recruiting season, I think his MAIN job with that is arranging all the visits at Brooking, hotels..etc. Actual recruiting is done by all the coaches. I don't believe it will have much effect on that

Go Jacks
                                http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Working...
                                X