Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' sched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' s

I would prefer not to see any D2 or PFL teams on our schedule, and after the next couple of years I doubt we will see any, but for the next couple of seasons due to the transition to D1AA we will have to tolerate a few of these teams. Personally I would prefer the PFL over D2 over the next two years to fill out the schedule. because its diffrent schools, I'm anxious to see us play teams that weve not seen before or not since 1960. With our move to D1. I would like to see all D1 teams even if they are non-scholarship. Just my opinion.

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

I've never seen a non-scholarship DI team play so I have no idea at what level the talent is. I would be hard pressed to believe they are better than NCC schools that have the full allottment of scholarships. I would rather play an Augie or USD than a Drake team that has no scholarships. That's just my opinion.... Either way we are in a no-win situation in that we are expected to win and if we lose it will be embarrasing.

Comment

As I understood it Colgate (lost to Delaware in IAA championship) does not offer athletic scholarships. Is this correct?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

No... Colgate liked to promote they were non- scholarship but in fact, they gave out "grants" that were the exact equivalent of the full allotment of D1AA schollies and they are based on athletic ability. There is a thread somewhere on our board that goes into great detail on this (I'm not sure which one). Basically Colgate thinks it's virtious to say they are non-scholarship but their athletic dept. is probably financing more dollars than most equivalent schools. The press went along with them(during the championship run) on their self promotion by not mentioning any of these facts.

Comment

Colgate fans say they don't offer athletic scholarships but football players get aid just the same. Maybe it's need based aid but when they report graduation rates to the NCAA they are only supposed to count athletes receiving aid. Based on the number of athletes they listed, they have 50+% more athletes getting aid than NDSU does. In turn, NDSU gives 50+% more athletes aid than Drake does.

Morningside used to schedule Drake and play them tight.

If SDSU can get Drake on the schedule, you should jump at it because DI-AA doesn't view a win over them any differently than a full-scholarship school.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                As I understood it Colgate (lost to Delaware in IAA championship) does not offer athletic scholarships.  Is this correct?
                Kind of... they don't offer "scholarships"... but they do give financial aid based on athletic ability (as do other schools in the Patriot League)... according to various news articles.. Colgate gave the equivalent of about 55 full scholarships to their football team last year. There are true-non scholarship teams (ex Drake) which don't give any aid to FB players

Comment

Rumor on the street is that SDSU has 10 games scheduled for next year. The games would include three California schools, Montana State (away), Western Washington, Georgia Southern, NDSU, and I can't remember the others. I've also heard that SDSU has offered a big guarantee to USD to play SDSU on October 23 (the only remaining unfilled date on State's schedule). There must be something to this as SDSU has not indicated when Hobo Day will be and I'll bet if we play USD on October 23 it will be Hobo Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                     I've also heard that SDSU has offered a big guarantee to USD to play SDSU on October 23 (the only remaining unfilled date on State's schedule).  There must be something to this as SDSU has not indicated when Hobo Day will be and I'll bet if we play USD on October 23 it will be Hobo Day.
                    Probably not going to happen.  USD has released it's schedule and they are set to play at Upper Iowa on Friday the 22nd of October.  Not sure what is up with a Friday College game, but they are the "U"  ???

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/football/schedule.asp

Comment

Amazing they would pass up a big guarantee at SDSU for a road game at Upper Iowa. It's all being done in spite. UND is dong the same thing to NDSU. I say screw them. I think based on some past posts we could be looking at playing the following teams.

Cal Davis-Road
                      Winona-Home
                      NDSU-Home
                      Mont State-Away
                      Western Oregon-Away
                      St. Mary's-?
                      Georgia Southern-Away
                      Cal Poly-?
                      UNC-Away
                      Augie-Home

Comment

Western Oregon would most likely be home.

Comment

I don't know about our playing UNC next year. I've been under the impression that we could not play them until 2005 as UNC had a full schedule for 2004. With respect to the USD/SDSU matchup, I would not dismiss the possibility. Money talks and USD's athletic program is in serious need of major dollars. Their students are being told that they will need to make a significant increase in student fees to the athletic program. This is in part a result of that Title IX mess and subsequent law suit. They need to make enormous strides in bringing equity to their womens' programs.

Comment

What fools at USD!!! They pass up an opportunity to play SDSU, in front of a large crowd, get a bunch of money and publicity. Instead they schedule Upper Iowa who most people dont even realize has a athletic program and the game is on the road!!!!! all because they got their little D2 feilings hurt!!! Enjoy your future USD this is what you have to look forward to.

Comment

I know USD guests visit this site. What are your reactions to your schedule/direction. I almost feel sorry for whats going on in vermillion. I would be curious to hear coyote fans opinion on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                                I don't know about our playing UNC next year.  I've been under the impression that we could not play them until 2005 as UNC had a full schedule for 2004.  With respect to the USD/SDSU matchup, I would not dismiss the possibility.  Money talks and USD's athletic program is in serious need of major dollars.  Their students are being told that they will need to make a significant increase in student fees to the athletic program.  This is in part a result of that Title IX mess and subsequent law suit.  They need to make enormous strides in bringing equity to their womens' programs.  
                                Oh, that would be PRICELESS!!!!! SDSU moves to D-I and USD is the school that has to raise their student fees!

Oh, please, please, please, please make it so!!!
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X