Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' sched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' s

I'm sure we will try to add at least one , hopefully two games to that list. This is just speculation but I've listed "probable" locations, based on this years schedule.
    Augie-Sioux Falls,SD
    Cal-Davis-Davis, CA Sep 18
    Winona St-Brookings, SD
    NDSU-Brookings, SD
    UNC-Greely, CO
    Montana St. Bozeman, MT. Sep 25
    Western Oregon-Brookings SD
    St. Marys- ??
    Georgia Southern-Statesville, GA Oct 30
    I assume we will have 5 home dates and 5-6 aways, Its always hard to get existing 1AA universities to come to the "transitional" schools home stadium the first year, both NDSU and SDSU should have an easier time scheduling in 2005. We will likely see another D2 school scheduled for Brookings next season.

Comment

We have a SNAFU with the Augie game, here is the Argus Story:

Vikings, Jackrabbits searching for date they can meet in football
      Chris Solari
      csolari@argusleader.com

published: 11/26/2003

Division I regulations prohibit schools from playing Aug. 28 as originally planned

A scheduling snafu has put next season's proposed football game between South Dakota State and Augustana in limbo.

Officials from the two schools had initially agreed on a season-opening game for Aug. 28, 2004 at Howard Wood Field. But due to different start dates between Division I and II, that had to be scrapped. A new date has not been set.

"We just didn't do our due diligence," said SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien, who discovered the rules discrepancy Friday.

According to the NCAA, Division I schools may not begin their seasons until Sept. 2 next year, the Thursday before Labor Day. However, Division II football teams may begin playing a week earlier.

Bill Gross, Augustana's athletic director, said he's reviewing his school's schedule to see if another date can accommodate a game with SDSU or if some reworking can be done to keep the in-state rivalry game.

"Fred apologized. It's an honest mistake," Gross said. "He didn't realize, and I didn't either. I thought it would be OK because of the Division II date."

SDSU is in the process of moving from Division II to Division I-AA in football, the second-highest classification offered by the NCAA. Rule books issued by the NCAA are generally considered the most expansive in all of sports.

"There are just little pockets (of rules) here and there that are different," Oien said. "If you go from Division I down to Division II, it's the same situation."

With the Augustana game in doubt, the Jackrabbits now have six football games either under contract or close to set for 2004, Oien said.

Though SDSU has not yet released any of them, games likely will be played with California-Davis and North Dakota State, also making the jump to Division I-AA next year, as well as former North Central Conference foe Northern Colorado. The Bears and Cal-Davis have both recently completed their first season in Division I-AA.

South Dakota State does not have a conference for football or its other 19 sports, which also will move to Division I next year. School officials are discussing a seven-team league which would include SDSU, NDSU, Southern Utah, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, California-Davis, Northern Colorado and St. Mary's College (Calif.).

Athletic officials for six of the seven schools will meet from Dec. 8-9 in Las Vegas.

SDSU football coach John Stiegelmeier said the scheduling has gone well so far: "You have to expand and check out the whole nation, in reality, to find those unique matches, which we are willing to do."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Comment

I noticed on footballscoop.com that both SDSU and Drake list Nov 6 as an open date they're trying to fill. Those listings are old, but I wonder if this is a potential matchup in 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurking_Dog
          I noticed on footballscoop.com that both SDSU and Drake list Nov 6 as an open date they're trying to fill.  Those listings are old, but I wonder if this is a potential matchup in 2004.
          Lurking Dog:
          As far as a potential, its probably slim and none. Mainly because we are wanting to play D1AA scholarship schools first. If we can get a good D2 to come to hour house then, that would preceed scheduling a non-scholarship school. This is just my take, but can't speak for the adminstration at SDSU. I say speculatively that if Drake were to offer a home and home in Basketball and baseball games attached to a football game, then that might happen.

Personally, I just dont get excited about the Pioneer league for football, but respect Drake as competition in all other sports. Competition with Drake in other sports would almost have to be part of the deal.

Comment

>>This is just my take, but can't speak for the adminstration at SDSU. >>

Nor do you speak for Drake, which would also have to agree to a series.

>>I say speculatively that if Drake were to offer a home and home in Basketball and baseball games attached to a football game,>>

I don't see any possible linkage, especially considering Drake doesn't have a baseball team.

Comment

The point made was why would we be seeking to play a non'scholarship program unless there was additional upside like playing Drake in Basketball. Frankly I think we would give Tom Davis and Co. all they would want if we could play them in Basketball this year. I would also rather play a home game against a good DII program or on the road against a DIAA then play someone in the Prairie Conference!

Comment

Excuse me Pioneer Conference

Comment

I agree a home and home football contract with a home and home basketball works. It would be cool to have Drake in Frost!

Comment

Here is a little update from the GSU web site:

http://athletics.gasou.edu/fbnews0401.html

GEORGIA GAME HIGHLIGHTS 2004 SCHEDULE

STATESBORO, Ga. -- After opening the season in Athens against Georgia Sept. 4, Georgia Southern's second matchup against the Bulldogs in the last four years. . .

GSU will also welcome I-AA newcomer South Dakota State to Paulson Stadium Oct. 30 as a replacement for East Tennessee State, which dropped its football program at the conclusion of the 2003 campaign.

The Jackrabbits, after compiling a 7-4 record and generating nearly 410 yards of total offense per game in ‘03, will compete as an independent next year which enabled Georgia Southern to fill an awkward open date on the latter portion of its pre-existing league schedule.

P.S. it will be kind of fun to play a team that opens the season by playing the University of Georgia Bulldogs!

Go State!   ;D

Comment

Anybody have any new info on the 2004 football schedule?
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

What do you think about playing NDSU more than once? Play in Brookings and in Fargo.

Comment

Augie has agreed to play the bunnies next year in Brookings. I have heard it will be a late season game. The guarantee was too good for Augustana to pass up.

Comment

That's great. I was hoping for a game on the new surface at Howard Wood Field. The main thing is we continue to play each other for a while.

Comment

Any updates on the 2004 schedule........
                              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                                ...I would also rather play a home game against a good DII program or on the road against a DIAA then play someone in the Pioneer Football League!
                                Personally I would rather see SDSU play a I-AA PFL squad than any D-II team.

Comment

Working...
                                X