Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' sched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' s

They would be the "odd" program for sure, but they do play 1AA football, and are an independant school who apparently saw the advantages of being in a western conf.  You are correct from a talent/size standpoint they will be the underdog. They have played a number of D2 schools that took it to them pretty good this year. but who knows, they may make more of a committment to competing in the future. I am anxious to play them out there, Their campus is in the bay area and is very picturesqe
    PS. I had a couple of professors at SDSU that would have been perfectly suited for medical experiments, so thats not a bad idea. ;D

Comment

Re: aid

Originally posted by Lurking_Dog
      Drake is in no position to bring back scholarships.  Tuition is up 3x since 1985.  They would have to sell professors for medical experiments to even get up to St. Mary's aid level.

Speaking of SMC, what's this talk of putting the Gaels in a football league with SDSU, Cal Poly, etc.?  They don't seem to fit, do they?
      Lurking_Dog,

Here is a web site that might shed some light on the Great Western Conf. (as it is being called by the fans). Not all of the information is 100% correct but it is a nice place to start. One of our friends from NDSU set up the site. Hope this helps.

http://www.freewebs.com/great_western_conf/index.htm

Go SDSU!

Comment

UC-Davis used to give athletes a $2000-3000 stipend, whereas a year at UC-Davis is well over $20,000. One of the Aggie fans mentioned it on the anygivensaturday or bisonville boards.

Comment

Cal -Davis is kind of the "Stanford" of the California university system. From what I've heard it is the hardest to get into and a degree from Davis is the most prestigious in the state. I do need to add that most of my sources for that info. are Davis grads. so take it for what its worth. They will be the "ivy" school in the Great Western conference, if it is formed.

Comment

**Cal -Davis is kind of the "Stanford" of the California university system. From what I've heard it is the hardest to get into and a degree from Davis is the most prestigious in the state.**

I'm sure Berkeley and UCLA grads will chuckle at that one.

Comment

Lurking Dog.......I found your posts about Drake interesting, as it is a school I know little about, even though I live in southern Minnesota. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Drake once play major college football (back in the 30, 40, and 50's)? What caused them to drop down? Also, how large is Drake's stadium, and do you know the present enrollment of the school?

Comment

It looks like Drake's enrollment is about 3,200/5,200 (undergraduate/undergrad + graduate students).

Yes, the Bulldogs played major college football until about 1960, when DU football joined the College Division (what became Divisions II and III). Drake had some problems with the Missouri Valley Conference during the '51 season and left MVC football for 20 years.

Meanwhile, other Drake sports competed at the major college level, with men's basketball going to the Final Four in 1969.

Football returned to the major college level as a D-I squad in the early '70s. Drake was dropped to I-AA for the 1982 season after failure to meet attendance requirements.

Attendance dropped further in I-AA, and football was dropped after the 1985 season, because it was losing too much money.

Drake's nonscholarship program played its first official game in 1987....and if you want to know more, you might want to look at this:
                http://www.geocities.com/lurkingd/drake_history.html

Drake Stadium seats 18,000. A planned renovation will reduce the seating capacity by about 3,000.
                http://www.drakestadium.org/

MSU ALUM, I'm guessing that you're a Northern Sun fan. Any insight on whether new D-II member Upper Iowa is joining your conference? Doesn't the NSIC have a limit of about 25 scholarships?

Comment

re: today's scoreboard

Drake 20, St. Mary's 13.

Can you help us raise about $1.5 million for 63 scholarships? If so, maybe we'll join your league.

Sure, that's a lot of money, but you won't have to travel very far.

Comment

Lurking Dog: actually, I am a Minnesota State grad/fan (formerly Mankato State U). I enjoy following NCC sports in general, and the d-1 process for our soon-to-be-former NCC brethren. In regard to Upper Iowa and the NSIC, I did read a news article a few weeks back in the Mpls. paper on that topic. It seems to me they would have a difficult time funding their programs even to NSIC levels, unless the entire league agrees to reduce scholarships significantly. It will be interesting to see what happens now in the NCC in this regard as well, what with d-1 hockey and its priority at most of the remaining NCC schools. I would not be surprised to see a reduction in football scholarhips down to maybe 24 (sadly) with the budget problems at many of the schools. Thanks for the Drake info.....

Comment

Bison_Kent posted this on the Bisonville board. Looks like the Georgia Southern Game is a done deal! ;D

I got this from the Georgia Southern message board.

South Dakota State must have gotten a home and home with them as Georgia Southern has released the 2004 and 2005 schedules.

Here is the link:

http://www.southern-connection.com/p...7503&postd ays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Comment

Looks like Montana State is all but done as well.  Nice job Dr. Oien!   8)

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/new...ts/633437.html

THE BOBCATS, meanwhile, are still working on their 2003 schedule, but Senior Associate Athletics Director Dan Davies said the team is likely to meet both Cal Poly and South Dakota State in Bozeman during nonconference play. Davies said the Cal Poly game is set for Sept. 18, and that South Dakota State, which is in the transition from NCAA Division II to NCAA I-AA status, will probably be in town Sept. 25.

Davies is still working on another home game for Sept. 11, plus a Sept. 4 game that would provide a large financial guarantee from a NCAA I-A school.

Montana State's other home games next fall include Weber State (Oct. 9), Sacramento State (Nov. 6) and Eastern Washington (Nov. 13).

Texas_Jacks_Fan, you where right on the money. Nice call!

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lurking_Dog
                          Any insight on whether new D-II member Upper Iowa is joining your conference?  Doesn't the NSIC have a limit of about 25 scholarships?
                          I am a NSIC fan, and here's what I know on the UIU situation:

A motion to accept/vote/something on UIU was made, but not seconded.  My source (very close to the situation) told me this was now done issue. But I've heard some rumbling that UIU might try again (but nothing i'd call official).  Personally, I don't want them around.  They've struggled in the IIAC, and I just don't think they'll help the NSIC get the respect it's looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by wsufan

I am a NSIC fan, and here's what I know on the UIU situation:

A motion to accept/vote/something on UIU was made, but not seconded.  My source (very close to the situation) told me this was now done issue.  But I've heard some rumbling that UIU might try again (but nothing i'd call official).  Personally, I don't want them around.  They've struggled in the IIAC, and I just don't think they'll help the NSIC get the respect it's looking for.
                            wsufan:
                            If I understand what you have said, Upper Iowa's application into the NSIC failed because of a lack of a second to the motion.  Oh boy that's one meeting where you dont want to raise your hand to second a motion just to keep the meeting rolling. ;D   SDSU could find themselves in the same situation when applying to conference membership here and there.  Its almost important to get the votes lined up before the meeting. I suspect thats what UIU will have to do before they submit another application.

Getting into a conference at any level is not easy so from an SDSU perspective I kind of share UIU's woes.
                            On the other hand you cant blame the other NSIC members whose programs are further down the road in meeting the D2 standards and competition for not wanting some member who is not going to be immediately competitive.

Comment

One quick comment on schollarships -
                              To the best of my understanding D2 allows all different % schollarships up to 100% without books, 1AA allows 50% and 100%, and 1A only allows full rides. From what I've heard were jumping from from the number we have now(32 or 36?) to between 40 and 50 in the next two years and work up from there. It depends on the number of schollarships our new conference allows.

And how about the Women Jacks hoops team playing Iowa and Colorado so close. I'm impressed coach, one of the opposing coaches went as far as to say that he thinks they(Jacks) are a top 64 team right now.

Comment

Here is a listing of probable games for next year. They are not in any particular order (thanks to RunningRabbit for reading the program and posting some additional games).

Augie
                                UC-Davis
                                Winona State
                                NDSU
                                Georgia Southern
                                UNC
                                Montana State
                                Western Oregon
                                St Mary's(CA)

I would still like to see UNI, but if this is all we get it is a great schedule our first year in I-AA. Way to go Fred!

Go South Dakota State!

Comment

Working...
                                X