No announcement yet.

What did SDSU ever do to the Argus??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What did SDSU ever do to the Argus??

Originally posted by Alumguy
    The pathetic thing is that the Board of Regents has been forced to tap into the HEFF money for maintenance and repair of these buildings. In other words, the students have to build the buildings and keep them maintained. Just recently, SDSU declared the President's home to be a classroom so that some of the HEFF money could be used to repair that house.

Now, isn't that something!
    So is the amount of secrecy and intrigue that went into the initial repair back when PGM was hired. That did not impress me. Nobody would reveal the true nature of the work, but mostly the cost involved and from where that money came. Nobody would say. Totally stonewalled.

I just don't get it.

Comment

Welcome to politics, boys.

Love your site, South Dakota State fans.

I was born and raised in the great State of Wyoming (in Casper) so I know about South Dakota. Been to the Black Hills several times back in the 1980s. Wished I could back now. I miss Mt. Rushmore.

Wyoming played SDSU back in the early 1980s, 1983 I think, in football and won (of course).

From what I've read, Wyomingites should be gald we have only ONE university.

I actually had a teacher in elementary school that attended SDSU on a football scholarship (Jim Stark).

Welcome to Division I and the Big Time.

Comment

Welcome Poke... dont be a stranger. I was in college when we played the Cowboys. Am I mistaken or was that the game that a record was set by yards gained by two opposing running backs. I think Weeger (SDSU) went for over 200 and a Wyoming back went 250+does anyone else remember this or am I crazy??Wyoming won 40something to 20 something. anyway I hope in the near future we can get it on in basketball AND football with Wyoming in a few years.
        GO SDSU !!!

Comment

I should start a new thread for this but we've been kicking around some of the South Dakota Govt. university systems shortcomings. Here is one guys opinion. There will probably be a lot of disagreement with this but here goes.
          SDSU-Brookings-Leave alone; for obvious reasons, the largest and most diverse school in the state.
          USD-Vermillion-Leave alone; Med school, Law school.
          Black Hills St.-We need a four year school based in western side of the state.
          Northern State-Leave alone; Good regional school can remain as is.
          SD Tech- Close it-roll it into SDSU or USD? either school could absorb these programs.
          Dak. St. -Close for sure, combine it with SDSU, maybe make it a satellite school like USDSU
          That would leave South Dakota with 4 public Universities Let the argueing begin..... Nothing like over simplification.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
            I should start a new thread for this but we've been kicking around some of the South Dakota Govt. university systems shortcomings. Here is one guys opinion. There will probably be a lot of disagreement with this but here goes.
            SDSU-Brookings-Leave alone; for obvious reasons, the largest and most diverse school in the state.
            USD-Vermillion-Leave alone; Med school, Law school.
            Black Hills St.-We need a four year school based in western side of the state.
            Northern State-Leave alone; Good regional school can remain as is.
            SD Tech- Close it-roll it into SDSU or USD? either school could absorb these programs.
            Dak. St. -Close for sure, combine it with SDSU, maybe make it a satellite school like USDSU
            That would leave South Dakota with 4 public Universities Let the argueing begin..... Nothing like over simplification.
            Thanks for the welcome, Texas_Jacks_Fan.

Rule #1 about state & federal government: if it make sense and saves money, the government won't do it.

Now that SDSU is Div. I-AA I would love to see Laramie, Wyoming host thousands of Jackrabbit fans from SD forr future football & basketball games.

Our football team is getting better (Thankfully, after only winning 5 games in 3 YEARS from 2000-2002).

As for the basketball team, does the word "rebuild" mean anything?

Comment

In 1984, SDSU played Wyoming with the final score being Cowboys 45 and the Jackrabbits 29. Rick Wegher, State's running back, ran for 231 yards that day. Wyoming's running back, Kevin Lowe, ran for 301 yards. At the time, it was an NCAA record for the most yards gained by two opposing running backs. I'm wondering what the respective defensive coordinators thought about after that game.

Comment

Alumguy,
                What did you think of my SD university system, I know your knowledgeable about "inside" alumni/funding and was curious on your opinion.
                Glad to know I wasnt way off on that rushing record game against Wyoming.

Comment

I agree with the college closing scenario however I think it will be a tall task to close DSU. They have become a regional computer training mecca and I think the town of Madison would fight it vehemently. I also think we have way too many private schools even they don't cost the state any dollars or do they? DWU, Sa Tanka, etc.

Comment

Texas_Jacks_Fan,

Obviously this state has far too many schools. But, I want to take you back to the early '80s when then Governor Bill Janklow succeeded in closing down USD at Springfield. It was a real blood letting. People in Springfield absolutely hate Bill Janklow. And, let's face it, it would seem that would be a very easy decision to make. But, here it is 20 years later and people are still fuming about it. Even though you have offered some real possibilities on closing institutions, it probably won't happen in our lifetime. The end result is that higher education in South Dakota will just limp along.

I think it was Jackguy who addressed the private school issue. Yeah, there are way too many of them also. It's true they receive no state funding. However, they each receive an enormous amount of federal assistance by virtue of the financial aids programs offered at those schools. So, in essence, taxpayer dollars are keeping them afloat, too.

Once again, the difference maker is our alumni. No other school in South Dakota has as many alumni (and friends) who have given significant dollars back to their alma mater. The reason why SDSU is moving ahead is that a lot of people care. You can see ... and feel ... the difference. It's a great day to be a Jackrabbit!

Comment

I think that we should close down Northern. Its academics aren't really up to par, and all of its majors are doubled at the other state schools.

Comment

As far as I know Rays still has a soda fountain, I go there every two years and get fountain drinks all the time. Thats the place with the NCC helmets hanging from the ceiling isnt it?

Comment

No...not any more, anyway.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The helmets are gone! Did they leave NDSU?

Comment

I don't remember helmets in Ray's. although my memory is usually blurry when in Ray's. :P Cubbys has helmets from around the NCC including the Bison.

Comment

Oops, was thinking Nick's, not Ray's. Now that I think of it, I think the helmets were in fact in Ray's Corner.  Anybody care to confirm/deny?
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X