Fred Oien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fred Oien

sodakfan, your right about that. I sure you can all imagine the chants we are going to hear on the road after this breaking news.

Comment

I think that luvthosejacks and sdsurox are Fred Oien.

Comment

There was a new article from the Argus today that says Fred offered to resign.
        http://www.argusleader.com/news/Fridayarticle6.shtml
        This is not a good time to be switching athletic directors. I hope Fred gets some help for his problems and continues to work hard for the university. I think we are getting close to finding a conference, and we don't need any set backs in our athletic department.

Comment

It seems odd that the university would deny his resignation, unless it was a situation where Dr. Oien thought he was emabarassing the university. This action would tell me that university officials really wants Dr. Oien to be the AD and want him to work through his personal troubles. Do you guys read the situation the same way? Good luck to you whatever happens.

Comment

Originally posted by NDSU_grad
            It seems odd that the university would deny his resignation, unless it was a situation where Dr. Oien thought he was emabarassing the university.  This action would tell me that university officials really wants Dr. Oien to be the AD and want him to work through his personal troubles.  Do you guys read the situation the same way?  Good luck to you whatever happens.
            NDSU GRAD:
            Enjoyed my visit to the Bison Sports Arena.  I guess winning does that.  To answer your question, I do read it that way, and I am not sure, but most state universities have polices that address problems such as the one that happen to Dr. Oien.  If Fred is willing and does receive the counseling and help in general in dealing with personal problems Dr. Oien will be our AD until he choses to resign.

Since I have gotten to know him personally, my thinking is biased, but I think I could make an argument that the demands for his employement, may have been a factor in neglecting family relationships.  Fred made a comment to me that he thought he had earned his salary the past two years,and that is hard to argue when you consider all the time spent traveling talking to other AD's NCAA people speaking to groups etc.  If we were to look at his log book of where he has been and what he has done, its been a demanding job. What people are forgetting is that he serves the Adminstration.  I am certain we would find that Fred has been very very busy and maybe the way to unwind is with alchohol.  Just speculating here, but I just dont see this personal situation that was front page news on the Argus as being a fall from glory.  Its not as simplistic as the opponents to moving to D1AA feel.

Most thoughtful employer's public and private see these problems as I do and they provide and offer a means to over come the problems and become once again a productive employee.  I dont see a AD employment situation as being different from a tool and die worker who has a problem with alchohol.  The Tool and die guy is not productive if he is drunk and abusive to his family.

Comment

Fred was at both games this weekend but did not mingle much and i believe sat far from away from everyone. Must be a strange uncomfortable situation. If he is to remain he has to keep a high profile and do all the things that have made him a great AD.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

NDSU GRAD:
                Enjoyed my visit to the Bison Sports Arena.  I guess winning does that.  To answer your question, I do read it that way, and I am not sure, but most state universities have polices that address problems such as the one that happen to Dr. Oien.  If Fred is willing and does receive the counseling and help in general in dealing with personal problems Dr. Oien will be our AD until he choses to resign.

Since I have gotten to know him personally, my thinking is biased, but I think I could make an argument that the demands for his employement, may have been a factor in neglecting family relationships.  Fred made a comment to me that he thought he had earned his salary the past two years,and that is hard to argue when you consider all the time spent traveling talking to other AD's NCAA people speaking to groups etc.  If we were to look at his log book of where he has been and what he has done, its been a demanding job. What people are forgetting is that he serves the Adminstration.  I am certain we would find that Fred has been very very busy and maybe the way to unwind is with alchohol.  Just speculating here, but I just dont see this personal situation that was front page news on the Argus as being a fall from glory.  Its not as simplistic as the opponents to moving to D1AA feel.

Most thoughtful employer's public and private see these problems as I do and they provide and offer a means to over come the problems and become once again a productive employee.  I dont see a AD employment situation as being different from a tool and die worker who has a problem with alchohol.  The Tool and die guy is not productive if he is drunk and abusive to his family.
                I know what you mean when you talk of the AD being under pressure. I think it was last year when our AD fainted during a bball and was taken into the hospital. Doesn't sound like a job I would want.

Comment

Working...
                X