Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOOD NEWS FROM FARGO FORUM ABOUT FOOTBALL CONF.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GOOD NEWS FROM FARGO FORUM ABOUT FOOTBALL CONF

That is great news about our new football conferece! I am excited to see us play some good games this year. Is anyoe going back for Hobo Day this year? When is it? I heard that it is the weekend of the 12th. But, like last year it could get moved around several times.

Bunny

P.S. If anyone feels the need to bash me on this post, please refrain. I am sure many of you would like for the "girl" to go away - but I am here to stay!

Comment

SDSU is still looking for a game on the 23rd, it is my understanding that this game will be Hobo Day if they get it filled. No matter what day Hobo Day is you can count me in! ;D

Go State!

Comment

The Argus added this story to their web site:

http://www.argusleader.com/update/We...article5.shtml

SDSU to join Great West Football Conference
        From Staff Reports

published: 2/25/2004

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State University's football program has a championship to play for this year.

The Jackrabbits will become a charter member of the Great West Football Conference, a new Division I-AA league that will have seven teams. SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien made the announcement at a news conference Tuesday.

"It is an exciting day," Oien said. "Our student-athletes, as we make the transition to Division I, have a home for football." . . .

. . . The new league originally was set to begin play in 2005 or 2006, but athletic directors and football coaches managed to create a schedule for this fall.

"With the formation of the Great West Conference, our program - and more importantly, our players - have something to compete for," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "That is a championship."

Go State!

Comment

Bunny --

Welcome aboard!

Crashola
          BSEE 1988

Comment

What yellow-and-blue-blooded Jack would EVER want a Bunny to go away?
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here are some of the highlights from today's Argus Story on the Great West.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article1.shtml

SDSU has a football home
              Chris Solari
              csolari@argusleader.com

published: 2/26/2004

Jacks join new Great West Football Conference

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State's football team will have a title to play for after all.

Wednesday, the Jackrabbits became charter members of the Great West Football Conference, a new seven-team Division I-AA league that will debut in September. . . .

Jackrabbit players sounded energized by the announcement.

"It just gives you that much more fuel for the fire," wide receiver Solomon Johnson said. "The Great West conference is something we're starting here today. That's something to be proud of." . . .

The Great West will not expand beyond football. SDSU is still searching for a home for its other 19 sports, which also will begin Division I competition this fall. Oien said the school has been discussing membership with two leagues.

The school has been tied to four Division I conferences - Big Sky, Mid-Continent, Missouri Valley and Horizon League. The Big Sky and Mid-Continent are the only two actively discussing expansion. The Big Sky is the only one to offer football as well as all other sports.

If the Big Sky extends membership offers to SDSU and NDSU, which petitioned to join the conference last year, they would be required to give the Great West a one-year notice.

"Those schools in the Great West know very well that because we don't have a conference in other sports, we have to make that a priority," Oien said. . . .

Tom Douple, Southern Utah's athletic director and the chair of the Great West's executive committee, said each school has given $1,500 for initial conference start-up costs. Annual dues are $7,000 per institution, which will cover the nonprofit league's operating budget.

Those funds will go toward marketing the Great West, producing conference awards, covering administrative and Web site costs and paying fees to receive nonprofit status. The league will not have a commissioner.

"Our goal is to become one of the premier I-AA football conferences in the country," Douple said.

Oien said the league must wait eight years to receive an automatic berth in the Division I-AA playoffs. Cal Poly, Saint Mary's and Southern Utah will remain eligible for at-large berths. UC Davis and Northern Colorado can qualify in 2007. SDSU and NDSU, also entering its first year of I-AA football, cannot participate in the playoffs until 2008.

North Dakota State coach Craig Bohl said his team is eager to forge an even-deeper rivalry with the Jackrabbits.

"This gives us a strong Division I presence, and to get aligned with some really great football schools will be great," Bohl said. . . .

Go State!

Comment

Working...
              X