New O Coordinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New O Coordinator

Has anyone heard about anyone being interviewed for the O Coordinator coach or D-Line coach?
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Re: New O Coordinator

Coach Stig in the press conference yesterday mentioned they have completed interviews and hope to make at least one announcement (I believe the O Coordinator) today and another hire next week.

Comment

I had a long conversation with Dr. Fred Oien at the UNO basketball game. Here is what he told me about the O coordinator. They had several good candidates and they have made an offer to one of the candidates and as of Friday night, he has yet to accept or reject it.

The Montana State Game has been moved to Sept 25 so that Montana State could schedule a money maker with COlorado State. Fred said in 2005, SDSU could have as many as 8 home games. So 2004 will seem to be a bummer, but it works the other way 2005.

Also there are plans to hire a seventh coach.

Comment

Daren Wilkinson (unsure of spelling) is the new O-coordinator.

Announced at halftime of women's BB game.

Stig: "had a ton of applicants a ton of calls."
        Wilkinson is coming from Fayettville State, North Carolina. Was OC at a juco in Arizona. He played quarterback at Colorado State.

Stig going to Colorado State for "a professional visit."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

filbert:
          All kind of interesting. Karl Ballard was a grad assistant at CSU before coming to SDSU. He also played for the Rams. So it looks like he is becoming the No 1 assistant and the new O guy is an acquaintence so it will all come together. Thats what makes good football teams is a team of assistants that can work together. The new guy was a QB himself so that will be a big help.

The thing about Eidness that will be tough to replace is his ability to pick up new plays and invent new plays and you hope we have not lost that quality

Comment

I'd guess a WAC, er, MWC quarterback has seen his share of offensive improvisation.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I hope so. I got a great deal of insight from riding in a golf cart with Eric Eidness at the Alumni golf outing in all places, VOLGA-the town of the future. I am going to miss both Eric and Tim, but we may be getting some cracker jack replacements. Bob Devaney would have never gotten his path of sucess at UNL if he had not brought John Melton and others with him from Wyoming.
              The Big Red was firing a head coach about every five years before Devaney was hired.

The assistants I tend to believe really make the team. The Head coach can take the credit or the blame for all that happens, but unless you got good assistants, you dont win football games. The assistants are becoming more important as the the game gets more refined and sophisticated.

Comment

Sounds like a great start to filling the shoes of some good coaches that left. From all i have heard coach ballard is the real deal and it seems he has the attitude to go along with our division one quest. anyone coming in that is associated with him i would think would be in the same mindset and ready to take things to the next level. the new coach is going to be inheriting one heck of an explsive offense if we can plug some holes on the o-line. Already getting excited for spring ball and next fall and we have barely started basketball playoffs. ;D ;D ;D
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Nice to hear people talking football already. I haven't yet put away Madden 2004 so I think I'm ready...great to hear we have a new oc...sounds like he will get the job done....i concure with 1979 about ballard...seems to be a real players coach and is slowly turning the defense around....

Comment

Old news, but I noticed that we didn't have an offical announcement on this thread, so here it is.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3486

Jacks Add Offensive Coordinator
                    South Dakota State University has hired a new offensive coordinator.

Daren Wilkinson, the wide recevier coach and passing game coordinator at Fayetteville State the past three seasons, will join the Jackrabbit staff March 8.

Wilkinson was the starting quarterback on the Colorado State team which won the WAC championship and played in the Holiday Bowl in 1995.

He earned a bachelor's degree at CSU in 1997 and added a master's degree, also from CSU, in 1999.

Welcome aboard Coach Wilkinson! ;D

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                    X